Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in Clevelands renaissance ... will this city continue to emerge an ever prosperous me
Yes 21 75.00%
No 3 10.71%
It's likely 4 14.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:49 AM

1,374 posts, read 3,255,343 times

Advertisements

Cleveland ... a vital American metropolis is a city that is beloved by
many of us, and seemingly loathed by so many who have been fed
with an ongoing barrage of patent lies and perpetual misinformation.

I'm a native of Cleveland, I've seen this proud city encounter several periods of decline ... always to be followed by yet another period of renewal, or a true renaissance.

It's "late" ( out of style ) to still be harping on what a "terrible city" that Cleveland supposedly is ... when the facts are "actually" quite the opposite.
Cleveland DOES have some monumental problems, but not unlike most any other large American city that has been beset by this wretched economy.

Cleveland is a city that is rising from the ashes of it's most recent decline ... it's a city that is seeing a flurry of new development and redevelopment.
The city is also becoming ever more ensconsed in the American conscience via popular television shows like "Hott In Cleveland", starring Betty White and Valerie Bertinelli ... and it is constantly uplifted by hometown celebrities such as Drew Carey, Carol Kane and many others.

Cleveland is much more than just a city with "some" blighted
ghettos and troubled schools ...
It is a city that has helped to shape and mould our country for over 200 years now.
It's a city with opulent suburbs, friendly inner city neighborhoods, WORLD CLASS ARTS & CULTURAL OFFERINGS and WORLD RENOWNED HEALTHCARE.

So, next time you hear someone berating Cleveland, try to remember that there's always "two sides to any tale", and please don't subscribe to the common misperceptions that constantly swirl around my beloved hometown.

I have just moved back to Cleveland after spending a year in nearby Columbus ... and I couldn't be happier with my decision.
What I've discovered is a city that is in the midst of an ongoing renaissance.

Last edited by JMT; 06-13-2011 at 08:08 PM.. Reason: Far too many pics, plus there are some copyright violations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 09:16 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,855,294 times
Impressive... what's currently driving your economy at the moment to make these projects possible?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:17 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times
Great to see - hope it will continue to get better and better!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:21 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,100,025 times
Nice pics, I'm hearing Saint Louis is experiencing the same renewal...

Old 09-17-2010, 09:22 AM

66 posts, read 185,007 times
love it.
completely agree about the misinformed hate.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:27 AM

8,620 posts, read 10,146,663 times
Although it is nice to see these things happening, there are still quite a few impressive older buildings in Cleveland that quietly sit empty and that is a shame. It would be nice to see those renovated. Cleveland could still use quite a few more people living/interacting downtown. It has a great foundation.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:42 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,459,637 times
Some pretty cool stuff there...not a fan of these:
http://images.kw.com/listings/4/8/9/4896131/1276954028187__kwipfn15_15.jpg (broken link)

But the rest of the stuff looks pretty cool. Do people really hate Cleveland though? I feel like it just kind of flies under most people's radars. The most "hate" I've ever had towards Cleveland was towards the hoops team, but even then I just wanted the Celts to beat them haha. I got a bit annoyed with the fans, but I also feel pretty bad about Lebron ripping out their hearts.

Anyways, hopefully Cleveland can recover from tough times. It looks like it's on the right track.

P.S. Does this belong in "City vs City"? Maybe General US would be more appropriate. I feel something like this shouldn't be confined to the "Cleveland" section because you're trying to increase awareness of Cleveland. Unless someone goes out of their way to look for Cleveland, they'll miss this thread and the cool projects going up in the city.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
Impressive... what's currently driving your economy at the moment to make these projects possible?

Cleveland has become a vital destination for "WORLD RENOWNED" healthcare, with both the esteemed Cleveland Clinic Foundation and the equally esteemed University Hospitals of Cleveland, providing the catalyst behind an emerging research and biosciences industry that is presently developing a strong footfold / foundation within the city.

There are still several large corporations headquartered in Cleveland ... several on this list are FORTUNE 500 entities

Key Bank ( F500)
Eaton Corporation (F500)
Moen
Third Federal Savings & Loan
Sherwin Williams Corp. (F500)
Parker Hannifin Corp. (F500)
Progressive Insurance Companies (F500)

Old 09-17-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Some pretty cool stuff there...not a fan of these:

But the rest of the stuff looks pretty cool. Do people really hate Cleveland though? I feel like it just kind of flies under most people's radars. The most "hate" I've ever had towards Cleveland was towards the hoops team, but even then I just wanted the Celts to beat them haha. I got a bit annoyed with the fans, but I also feel pretty bad about Lebron ripping out their hearts.

Anyways, hopefully Cleveland can recover from tough times. It looks like it's on the right track.

P.S. Does this belong in "City vs City"? Maybe General US would be more appropriate. I feel something like this shouldn't be confined to the "Cleveland" section because you're trying to increase awareness of Cleveland. Unless someone goes out of their way to look for Cleveland, they'll miss this thread and the cool projects going up in the city.
Yeah, my intention was to post this thread in the General US forum, but, I mistakenly posted it here ...

Hopefully, it will still be received well here though!

Old 09-17-2010, 09:48 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,180 times
Wow, it's interesting, let's hope a success for the city !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland