Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:13 PM

765 posts, read 2,128,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
I really, really, don't want to turn this into a discussion of Cleveland's racial issues, but without understanding both sides of the equation, you wont find a solution.

Racial issues can help you understand why there is a bunch of 40-50 year old suburbanites who complain about Cleveland's demise(see cleveland.com's comment section for more on this).

You think you feel uncomfortable as a minority walking around Little Italy? Try being a white guy waking around...many parts of Cleveland. The animosity goes both ways.

Although, I get the feeling that a few idiots from every race make the problem seem worse than it actually is.
After I read your post and thought about it for a while, I felt compelled to respond. I feel there is a lot of fear in Cleveland of going into certain neighborhoods that is perpetuated throughout the suburbs by the very people that fled the city during white flight. I was part of that culture for a long time, and even though I lived in a very racially mixed community in South Euclid, I was always told that East Cleveland and Cleveland proper were horribly dangerous, and that if you went there you would almost certainly get shot. However, in high school I had a girlfriend who went to Heights who had friends in East Cleveland, Euclid, Cleveland and other places that I used to consider taboo to go into. After spending time in all of these places I realized that they are really not that much different than the places that I grew up. There are just people, some who are good, some who are not so good, they go to work, go to school, get groceries, go shopping, do everything that the rest of us do. I know a lot of people who are afraid to drive through East Cleveland and Cleveland even during the day, but I can tell you, after having gone to these places, they are really not so bad. Sure you have to be on your guard, but that's the case in any big city.

I'm not saying that these city neighborhoods are as safe as the suburbs by any means, and I probably wouldn't feel too comfortable walking around alone at night, but they are certainly not as bad as people make them out to be. Do some volunteer work there, get gas at one of the gas stations on Euclid in EC (cheapest gas in the city btw), walk by Nela park, you'll see that it is certainly no Baghdad, and probably not even a Detroit.

Last edited by AGuyFromCleveland18; 06-10-2011 at 11:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 09:18 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,415,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuyFromCleveland18 View Post
I'm not saying that these city neighborhoods are as safe as the suburbs by any means, and I probably wouldn't feel too comfortable walking around alone at night, but they are certainly not as bad as people make them out to be. Do some volunteer work there, get gas at one of the gas stations on Euclid in EC (cheapest gas in the city btw), walk by Nela park, you'll see that it is certainly no Baghdad, and probably not even a Detroit.
There's probably some truth to your post. That doesn't change the fact that there are neighborhoods like Ohio city, Tremont, Little Italy,University Circle, etc that I would feel much safer walking around alone.

In other words, I don't blame people for avoiding East Cleveland(or at least parts of it).

Old 06-11-2011, 04:45 PM

1,522 posts, read 3,000,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
There's probably some truth to your post. That doesn't change the fact that there are neighborhoods like Ohio city, Tremont, Little Italy,University Circle, etc that I would feel much safer walking around alone.

In other words, I don't blame people for avoiding East Cleveland(or at least parts of it).
I think in the end nobody disputes that certain neighborhoods are more prone to crime than others. The problem seems to arise when people make sweeping generalizations based on hearsay or assumptions. People seem to infer that if x-neighborhood is unsafe all of the city must be unsafe, which isn't really the case.

Old 06-12-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
I think in the end nobody disputes that certain neighborhoods are more prone to crime than others. The problem seems to arise when people make sweeping generalizations based on hearsay or assumptions. People seem to infer that if x-neighborhood is unsafe all of the city must be unsafe, which isn't really the case.
Thankfully, I don't see much of that on these forums. (at least in the Cleveland forums)

Old 06-15-2011, 03:28 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
I've finished a nice jog through University Circle today and just gotta say -- completely gorgeous!!

I forget sometimes how beautiful the area really is since I feel like I take it for granted. Today I jogged through Little Italy, down Euclid Ave, around Wade Lagoon, through Wade Oval past the Museum of Art, down Magnolia, East 118 (more condos say "Sold" !), past Uptown construction, MOCA construction, UH Seidman Cancer Center construction, Case Western Campus...back past 27 Coltman, Lakeview Cemetery...

Guys, this area is a complete GEM

Don't forget that!
I was in University Circle again today and I cannot believe how far and improved this area has become/is becoming.

UC is BOOMING!

I'm hoping for more residental soon...this part of Cleveland could fill many apartments if they were built.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:36 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,901,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
I was in University Circle again today and I cannot believe how far and improved this area has become/is becoming.

UC is BOOMING!

I'm hoping for more residental soon...this part of Cleveland could fill many apartments if they were built.
There are several townhouse developments going on in the neighborhood and nearby in Little Italy. From nice infill to restoration of older houses, there are some attractive residential projects as well. Plus, Uptown, a project in University Circle, has residential too.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post

UC is BOOMING!

I was in UC today as well, and I completely agree.

Any sort sort of urban renewal in Cleveland will have to revolve around UC and a few other neighborhoods(Ohio city, Tremont, etc).

Clevelanders just don't realize how good they have it. How awesome is it that you can take the rapid/healthline to one of the best neighborhoods in the city?

Old 06-15-2011, 08:22 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,283,509 times
^great!

What did you think about all those new $400k townhomes? They are selling like hotcakes btw.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:56 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,334,125 times
Quote:
^great!

What did you think about all those new $400k townhomes? They are selling like hotcakes btw.
Are you talking about 27 Coltman or Circle 118? AFAIK, Circle 118 is not doing as well with recpect to sales while 27 Coltman (which I prefer and is considered Little Italy, not UC) has been doing well.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
^great!

I didn't get a chance to check out little Italy. I just took the rapid to Cedar and did some walking around.

I've been to 27 Coltman's website. They look great. You really can't beat that location right next to the rapid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland