Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2007, 05:45 AM

3 posts, read 20,012 times

Advertisements

My Husband and I will most likely be relocating to Medina County soon, & we are wondering just how bad the storms, tornados, and flooding really are, in North-Eastern Ohio? We've been watching the news lately, & we noticed that there has been A LOT of bad weather in that area, as of late. Is that normal/typical for North-Eastern Ohio?

We saw that a tornado touched down in Lodi, & that there's been severe flooding, & lots of storms, all over that area. We don't mind a good storm every now & then... but we're concerned about the flash flooding, and really dangerous storms that can produce tornados, strong winds, hail, etc. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 02:46 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times
I live in Lorain County and threre isnt any flooding over here as far as I can see. Tornadoes are definetly not common for NE Ohio, I have never seen a tornado or even a funnel cloud in my life over here so there not common. The weather this year hasnt been really normal, we were having a 8 inch rain deficit and all the grass was brown and the creeks were drying up. That lasted until the middle of july and then we finally got some rain. Now I think we made up for it and maybe were even over the rainfall average now just because of the last three days.

Old 08-21-2007, 04:42 PM

16 posts, read 81,133 times
I live in Medina County. The flooding is on the news now. That was just a freak storm. I've been living in Medina County for 6 years now, and I've never encountered any flooding. As far as tornados...yes, Ohio does get tornados, but the majority of them are mild. I've lived in Ohio for 33 years now. Never had contact with a tornado. Medina County is quite a bit better than other counties I've lived in for warning sirens. If anything, the warning sirens go off TOO often when there's not much reason. Anyhow, I hope you consider Wadsworth. We LOVE it here! Great schools, great community, close to everything! Best wishes!

Old 08-21-2007, 05:48 PM

50,335 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We've lived here in Medina Co. for 15 years and have not had a problem. I don't suppose you want to buy my house?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:37 PM

286 posts, read 1,586,749 times
The storm front that produced the tornados was out of place; it was a wall cloud that is typical for Okalahoma, Kansas, etc... NOT OHIO! I had the luxery of watching it come and go as my home was right in it's (and the tornados) path. My hubby has almost been a lifelong resident of Ohio, minus the 3.5 yrs spent in Michigan, and he confirms that tornados are not the norm.

As for the flooding... NE Ohio has gotten an insane amount of rain all at once. I think the weather channel said anywhere from 6-9 inches, depending on location, all within days. Most areas are handling it just fine (we don't have any flooding near us, but some of the lower lying areas have their yards flooded). I was just through quite a few areas of Medina Co today and every place I saw seemed to be in pretty good shape.

Old 08-22-2007, 05:20 AM

3 posts, read 20,012 times
First of all, I'd like to thank all of you so much for your feedback! I really appreciate it... There's only so much that you can learn, by watching the news/weather, and researching the area online... It's great to have a forum to talk to actual people, who live in the area, and know first-hand what it's like to live there!

My Husband and I have been very excited about moving to Ohio, & we're really looking forward to it! But we've been a little nervous about it these days, after seeing all of the bad weather that's been on the news. I really feel SO much better about it, after reading all of your posts! Thanks for taking the time to fill me in... It's great to know that the flooding and tornados are just a fluke, & not something that happens very often...*phew* !!!

Cle440 - Thanks for the reassurance about tornados...that's definitely something that I've been worried about! It seems like the weather is weird everywhere. The flooding that you guys got up there is insane, & I feel really bad for the people who are/were affected! It's really good to know that it isn't typical of NE Ohio.

IDTwinsMom - We are considering moving to Wadsworth, so it's great to hear from someone who lives there! We are also considering Medina & Brunswick...it will just depend on a number of factors! I'm loving the idea of an active tornado warning siren...especially considering how paranoid I am about tornados.

gentlearts - If it were in a year from now, it might be great timing, but we're not ready to buy a home just yet! We will need to get to know the area a bit, & get settled in, before we think about buying a house...but I wish you lots of luck in selling yours! And thanks so much for your feedback...it's great to know that in 15 years, there hasn't been a real problem with the weather, in that area!

bubbagirl - Thanks so much for all of the information...those wall clouds that you spoke of were crazy! I saw pictures of them online...pretty scary! I'm sorry to hear that your house was right in the storm's path...I hope that you didn't have to suffer through any of the damage, from that storm! I'm very relieved to learn that it was completely out of place. I guess things like that can happen anywhere, under the right conditions!

Again, I appreciate all of your feedback a great deal, and if there's anything else that you can tell me about the area; I'd be grateful!

Old 08-22-2007, 08:09 AM

286 posts, read 1,586,749 times
I will second Wadsworth - very nice little town. I'm just outside of Wadsworth right over the county border. Medina is a nice, growing town but very commercialized. So is Brunswick. The biggest factor on where you want to look is where you or your husband will need to commute to on a regular basis. If you'll be like my husband and I, commuting to Cleveland / west side, you'll want to stick closer to 71 (we're moving closer to the Strongsville area next month). Wadsworth is a good commute to downtown C-land though.

Our place faired through the storm well. Only a couple trees came down around the town, and no damage to report with us. Once you're out here... a great drive is along Doylestown Rd from RT 57. Very pretty, very scenic. I love it!

Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 AM

5 posts, read 26,128 times
Default mayordan

I know Lodi was on the news as being hit by a tornado, but one thing about this area is that there are a number of hills and valleys. Seldom does a tornado stay on the ground locally. They usually hover, or "bounce" and take trees, not homes and businesses with them. In the recent news about a tornado that hit a farm, the area was quite exposed and a cow died when the barn fell in on it. All other livestock was spared, and the barn was the only significantly damaged structure. Average weather data is shown below:

As far as where to live, take your pick. N.E. Ohio has the cities, the medium sized towns, small towns and villages. In Medina County you can find all of this and in Harrisville Township and the Village of Lodi you can have small town charm convenient to all the amenities one could want. You are 40 minutes from Cleveland or Akron and there respective International Airports, major shopping, sport, arts & entertainment venues, and only 90 minutes away from Columbus which is unique in the attractions and experiences it offers, often on an upscale level. Harrisville township is a combination of what America was, what it is, and what it will be, as it is developing in areas but maintaining a rural presence. Come and take a look for yourself, we would love you to visit our farms, shop the outlet mall, stay in a bed & breakfast, see where affordable homes are being built, land is available to buy, business and industry can flourish and where you can enjoy some of the best Amish cuisine in the United States.

Last edited by Yac; 01-08-2008 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: advertising

Old 10-09-2008, 03:42 PM

4 posts, read 20,178 times
A few weeks ago when we had the bad wind storms from the remnants of hurricane Ike, a limb from the neighbors tree crashed through our roof, and we got it fixed right away but we noticed that the whole attic is now full of mold. We don't know if it's new mold because the attic is already covered and that would mean it happened within a month, It seems pretty fast to Us, or if we just overlooked it before. I was wondering if anyone knows who the best company in northeast Ohio for the attic mold removal. I'm near Cleveland, So far Mold Solutions seems to be our best option and they gave us a much better price than the other company who told us to rip the whole roof off and replace all the sheeting and re shingle it for $10,000. Safe Mold Solutions rather told me the attic mold remediation and adding ventilation would get rid of the mold and it wouldn't come back, with a 7 year warranty for only $1,900. (which is way less than replacing the roof) But it's still pricier than what we want to pay.

The insurance company is also trying to deny the claim saying we already signed off on the damages, and we don't have mold in our policy, and they're trying to say the mold is older than the tree damage, but we don't know how they could prove that. Should the insurance cover this if they already paid for the original repairs if it was only a month ago?

Does anyone have any suggestions? We need to get this done soon, so the faster the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland