Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:59 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,932,937 times

Advertisements

You also have to realize that NE Ohioans are moving away by the thousands. Most people i know hate the weather here and they think it's depressing. It's hard for a lot of people to believe that someone from a warm area like SC, would actually want to relocate here. We've seen so many of our families, friends and neighbors move south it's kind of hard to believe anyone from down there would want to move here. Not to mention, economically, our area has seen better days.

I myself love NE Ohio, Cleveland, Akron and Youngstown. I'm one of a very few number of people my age that is still living here in the mahoning valley. Most of my high school classmates got their education and moved south, west or to areas of ohio (columbus mainly) that have more to offer as far as jobs are concerned.

I'm hoping eventually things will change, but it's not surprising to me that you are hearing these types of things. i think it's the rustbelt mentality. You'll hear the same things in pittsburgh, youngstown and akron. After a while you hear so many bad things about our area you almost start to believe it. Everyday we hear negative things: another factory closes, crime and murder are on the rise, one of the highest foreclosure rates in the nation, brain-drain, cloudy days, crazy weather. Someone always has something bad to say.

For me, i focus on the good. I live an hour from both cleveland and pittsburgh. Our area offers a low cost of living, a good highway system, short commute times, lots of shopping and restaurants, cultural activities, sporting events, concerts, history, and i can go on and on.........I LOVE NE OHIO!!!

DEFEND YOUNGSTOWN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 09:10 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
There are a lot of things that Cleveland needs. The Euclid corridor project is a good start but we need to do more than that. I dont know what to do about Burke Lakefront Airport. Personally I think they should shut down the airport services to it and turn it into something else. The race, the airshow and the X Games are good for the area but the lakefront is too important to only have 2 or 3 events a year, and i think we should move those events somewhere else in the Cleveland area. I have had many idea what they could do to Burke Lakefront airport: Park Area, Row Houses, High rises, an amusement park.

The first thing Cleveland needs to do is get more jobs. There is a lot of unemployment in and around the city and we need jobs to keep people in Cleveland and get more people to move, and really see how good of a city Cleveland is.

We NEED a sports team to win a championship. Right now the Indians are one of the best teams in the league and there in 1st place. The Cavs will start their season soon and they made it all the way to the finals last year. The Browns actually won against Cincinnati with 51 points. I think either the Cavs or the Indians or both will win a championship within the next year. The Browns still need a lot more work but its possible they could win.

Then we need people to get to run the city better. On the news it said Cleveland has the most police for number of people for any major city, but the city is not using the police right and thats why Cleveland has so much crime. Another thing I dont like is the use of land. In some vacant areas on the Eastside they built suburban looking mansions near East 71st St. The houses were being sold for near 300,000, way more then any person in the area can afford.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:37 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,882 times
Default I have memories...

Good ones of growing up in and around Cleveland, Medina, Akron.

Thats all they are now.

I now live in New Mexico, love it, and the employment opportunity it provides (under 3% unemployment in eastern NM) along with stellar weather, and have only plans to come back to Ohio to visit. I don't miss the Ohio weather, thats for sure.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:35 PM

492 posts, read 2,371,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Good ones of growing up in and around Cleveland, Medina, Akron.

Thats all they are now.

I now live in New Mexico, love it, and the employment opportunity it provides (under 3% unemployment in eastern NM) along with stellar weather, and have only plans to come back to Ohio to visit. I don't miss the Ohio weather, thats for sure.
Glad to hear you enjoy New Mexico weather! We had our first cold snap last week and now I'm looking forward to that cool, crisp autumn air and that first beautiful, white snowfall

Old 09-21-2007, 04:07 PM

Looks like we still have a while before it starts snowing since it went up to 85 degrees today, and its supposed to be in the high 70s and 80s for the next week or two. When it went down to like 40 degrees that one night it brought back not so good memories of the cold winter, im happy that we still have a lot of time before it gets cold.

Old 09-21-2007, 09:58 PM

302 posts, read 1,100,941 times
Obviously a world class aquarium will come after Cleveland solves its problems. My point was that as part of a Lake front project could be to put in a Aquarium. The first problem that needs solving is not the schools but crime. They both go hand in hand, but no one will come to a city if the crime rate is sky high. Cut the crime, clean up the schools, and then more people will start to come.

In response to the thing about the Idiot American thing. In respect to budget travel and seeing things Europe IS much better. Lodging wise, its much cheaper, plus there is much much more student discounts than here. Sure there might be some ways to get around cheap, but for the normal person, its much more expensive.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:11 PM

Like i said in the regular Ohio forum I would really like to see Cleveland become Video game central of America. the_Pines came up with the idea and I think its the best idea Ive ever heard on how to help the city. Video Games are huge and the profits keep increasing every year.

Cleveland should start teaching video game design courses at the local colleges, and then attract a huge video game design company to move to Cleveland, or create our own. Then we could move online game servers into Cleveland and everything else that comes with making, selling, and playing video games. No other city in America has the title of game central and I think if Cleveland is the 1st to get it it will be like a dream come true. It could turn the entire area around, reduce poverty, increase jobs a LOT, reduce crime, bring more money and people into the city, and basically make Cleveland one of the top cities in America like it was 60 years ago.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:13 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,512,277 times
Its just the job market, and then the people who can move out, do.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:07 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,768,882 times
Default When opportunity knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Its just the job market, and then the people who can move out, do.

Like my wife and I did, to New Mexico. It's rough to make such a move. It can be draining, emotionally, financially. But we did it, and were OK.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:14 AM

11 posts, read 35,353 times
What Cleveland needs are new attitudes and behaviors. The city is plagued by the old ideas of "fixing up the downtown city and waterfront and they will come". The amount of tax abated buildings is obscene. The amount of tax dollars not going to schools is sickening. The neighborhoods need attention. Education and stopping crime need attention. It is the places that don't make the news where the money should go. The job market sucks here.

The mindset should be about making moves for safe comfortable living. Increase positive police presence, assistance to the poverty stricken neighborhoods, work for those who join gangs for acceptance, increased penalties for crime, and etc.

I may be moving to NH to take a good job. I don't want to leave, but there is not much keeping me here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland