Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 01:26 PM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,869 times

Advertisements

cleveland needs:

a. jobs
b. leadership that can attract and retain 'a'
c. an overhaul of the schools
d. a wholehearted willingness to change the city's identity

the same can be said about detroit and cincinnati, but until 'a' and 'b' are in place, the city will suffer. again, not a jab at cleveland, just my take.

Old 06-27-2008, 11:58 AM

980 posts, read 1,146,300 times
Default Can't get blood from a turnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
cleveland needs:

a. jobs
b. leadership that can attract and retain 'a'
c. an overhaul of the schools
d. a wholehearted willingness to change the city's identity

the same can be said about detroit and cincinnati, but until 'a' and 'b' are in place, the city will suffer. again, not a jab at cleveland, just my take.
I don't know what anybody can really do about this. Most of the decisions appear to be made in Washington. I guess the local guys could handle the decline better, but I think they are powerless to stop it or reverse it.

Old 06-27-2008, 10:15 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
I just dont know anymore. Cleveland is doing horrible right now. With all of those reports Cleveland is always in the top 10 worst in the country. We lost over half of our population since 1960, and the violence and poverty is just ridiculous. We have a lot of good things happening, but the city isnt improving much, if at all. Hopefully Cleveland will start doing better soon, but there are many things that have to be done.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:27 AM

Default Centralized Authority

I asked a candidate for city council in my town what he could do about the problems in our town, which incidentally, he was campaigning to fix! lol He offered some silly ideas about nothing; you know, typical idiotic crap, like he'll solve blight by lobbying a company to put an office here. Well, o.k., did it work? No; marketing will only pump up demand; it doesn't create demand out of thin air. He's not first politician to lobby companies to come to their town.

Second, we have stupid laws (i.e. huge fine and months in jail if your dog gets lose). Can he change these? No; he doesn't have the power. Our city codes are virtually uniform throughout the country.

So, what can he do? It seems they can raise and lower taxes. They can also create new city jobs/eliminate old ones. Well, I like low taxes. So, I vote against him. lol

Old 06-29-2008, 07:56 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
I don't know what anybody can really do about this. Most of the decisions appear to be made in Washington. I guess the local guys could handle the decline better, but I think they are powerless to stop it or reverse it.
don't forget the goofs in my current residence of columbus. it's so much scandal, i don't think the dispatch can keep up .

Old 06-30-2008, 08:45 PM

Lightbulb The Big Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
don't forget the goofs in my current residence of columbus. it's so much scandal, i don't think the dispatch can keep up .
I know that there's been scandals in Columbus; they're have been scandals in Ohio politics since there has been a state called, "Ohio." Authority figures always do something wrong.

I know that all landlords do not take care of their properties and that all tenants do not take care of their dwellings. This is as old as people (they've always needed a place to live and some of them are "messy" and "lazy").

I know most crime in Cleveland is committed by Blacks. However, most of them were born here and so were their parents. So, it is possible to have an orderly town, with them in it.

We don't have any jobs. So, people leave looking for work.

Integration did seem to ruin our (White's) neighborhoods. We hated being forced to live with Blacks and, if given the choice and the means, we fled it. Now it's just all Blacks, a few poor Whites and full of crime. I don't know why Blacks have so many criminals in their population, but it seems they do. Of course, with the increase of poverty among the White population, we've seen an increase in White crime. With Hispanic immigrants, we see lots of crime from them. At the same time we lose our tax base. So, cities cut back on cops. Naturally, crime keeps rising. Forget the stats, it's worse and worse.

However, it is possible to have a town with poor economy, shrinking population and low crime. There are places like that! Also, it is possible to have huge Black population and minority White population and low crime. Also, clean streets, even if most of the Blacks don't keep their house up as nice as most of the Whites. Race and economy can be "overcome," but we are as far away from that than I think we've ever been. "Affirmative Action," "Civil Rights Movement" and "Integration" seem like they have been huge failure. Everybody knows it too. Everyone! So, when do we get to quit pretending and start building a town that is livable for all of us? Well, ask Washington, it shoved all this crap down our throats. Columbus could not stop it and neither can City Hall, Chief of Police or The Board of Education. No one can, except Washington!

Even look at Feminism. Why should women care so much about "empowerment" if they got husband making 25 bucks an hour at factory, where only education needed is "on the job training."

Our National politicians believe in all this Free Trade and "Forced Equality" mumbo jumbo. Our Corporations profit from it, albeit short term thinking, betraying what appears to be, Greed. Our Media is as committed to it as Corporations and Washington. So, how can Columbus or City Hall defeat Washington, Media and Corporations? They can't. In the mean time we have lots of dupes running around. If you watch Queen Latifah interview Jared Taylor and you identify with Queen Latifah, then you will likely come away thinking that reality is just a conspiracy against you! (if you know what I mean)

So, our problems seem to be Washington, Huge Corporations lobbying Washington and a National Media that stirs up the worst in our people and elites. The good news is that is a very tiny group of people. The bad news is changing their minds is difficult.

Simple problem; difficult solution.

In the meantime, they say ethnic conflict could be around the corner. What a mess! Declining economy brought on by suicidal trade policies and Greed, Civil Rights Movement gone bananas and elites (Corporate, Media and Political) who treat their people like bugs. It ain't pretty!

Old 07-04-2008, 03:58 PM

250 posts, read 529,552 times
Dying city?

No.

DEAD city.

They build the Flats and the gangsta wannabes tore it up with drug deals, fights, shooting, muggins.... now they are building it again (for $252 million) and in 5 years it will the same sewer it is right now because that same element will be down there playing the fool.

Cleveland is done. Akron is next.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:25 PM

Lightbulb Got Rope?

We got cops, guns and we could bring back public execution in a circus like atmosphere Our impotence in the face of this problem seems pathetic

Old 07-05-2008, 10:45 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
I just dont know about Cleveland and this whole area anymore. There are all these bad things happening, all the bad reports and the ridiculous amount of decay in the city and a lot more. It seems that for every 5 things that go wrong or that get worse, we improve 1 thing.

Cleveland is full of crime, drugs, gangs, poverty, decay, angry and bitter people, and unemployment on the same level as the worst cities in the nation. Dont forget about the horrible services and the completely outdated infrastructure in the city. Its very very sad when you have a water main break and the whole road caving in in the EXACT center of downtown and Cleveland. Not even to mention all the other things going wrong. Cleveland is just outdated completely. The sports are doing bad now, the Indians had the best record in the league last year, now its one of the worst. The Cavs are good but arent getting any better and the Browns are still bad...And Lebron is again in talks about how much he loves NYC, in his top 5 favorite cities he didnt even include Cleveland...The City that he PLAYS for, and even his hometown of Akron was in the 5th spot.

I still believe in Cleveland and NE Ohio will always be my home and Ill always stick up for it, but all of this stuff is very sad and embarrassing. This is not just for Cleveland either, its for almost every city in Ohio to some extent. They have the same problems in Dayton, Cincinnati, Toledo, Akron, of course Youngstown, Lorain..everywhere in Ohio is doing bad right now.

Old 07-05-2008, 10:54 AM

25 posts, read 80,862 times
The Browns were one of the best teams in the league last year...And have big expectations going into this years season.

The Cavs......Well the clock is slowly ticking on them...I don't think it's that hard to put someone next to Lebron that can put them over the top...And if they lose Lebron, You can kiss the Cavs good bye in Cleveland
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland