Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you categorize Cleveland?
Midwest 132 74.16%
Northeast 46 25.84%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 05:35 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
FAnd again, obviously University Circle has attractions, but it's just not a very residential neighborhood. You don't visit the Art Museum and daydream about a life living a block or two away, like you might when visiting Ohio City or Gordon Square.
Actually, this isn't true. Univ. Circle is very residential... Apartments are going up all around University Circle (Uptown, E. 118th apartments, Uptown, 116, Centric, and huge new, beautiful One University Circle, among them). There are also a number of rehab-ed old large homes and apartments... and then there's dense Little Italy just across the Rapid tracks which has tons of housing, along with several new or recent apts and townhouses going in...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 06:27 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Don't get me started on the condition of some of those rental highrises along Lake Shore Boulevard... I've been seeing horror stories on the local newscasts during the past couple years...
Some are good. Some are bad. The single family homes are an entirely different matter.

Old 05-03-2018, 06:35 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,977,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
Actually, this isn't true. Univ. Circle is very residential... Apartments are going up all around University Circle (Uptown, E. 118th apartments, Uptown, 116, Centric, and huge new, beautiful One University Circle, among them). There are also a number of rehab-ed old large homes and apartments... and then there's dense Little Italy just across the Rapid tracks which has tons of housing, along with several new or recent apts and townhouses going in...
Fair points on both counts. I didn't think of Little Italy technically being part of UC, and I didn't really consider the large apartments/condos. I'd be interested in knowing how many people live in UC outside of Little Italy, which seems to be the only self-contained non-apartment neighborhood in UC -- the rest are very small and/or contiguous with street grids into adjacent neighborhoods.

Little Italy in general is a good point and it definitely bucks the trend of most of the other East Side city neighborhoods. It's actually the only Cleveland Neighborhood of note that I haven't visited, which is why it slipped my mind. I need to rectify that!

Old 05-03-2018, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Fair points on both counts. I didn't think of Little Italy technically being part of UC, and I didn't really consider the large apartments/condos. I'd be interested in knowing how many people live in UC outside of Little Italy, which seems to be the only self-contained non-apartment neighborhood in UC -- the rest are very small and/or contiguous with street grids into adjacent neighborhoods.

Little Italy in general is a good point and it definitely bucks the trend of most of the other East Side city neighborhoods. It's actually the only Cleveland Neighborhood of note that I haven't visited, which is why it slipped my mind. I need to rectify that!
A lot of people, present company included, long did not consider Little Italy a part of UC, and technically, it's not. Having grown up on the East Side and in the Heights, we always viewed LI as a very closed, insular neighborhood with the resident Italians walling themselves off... Not so much these days. The younger generation Italians don't think this way (if they live in LI at all). And while the neighborhood is strongly Italian in its retail district, it is more diverse than it has ever been -- the running joke is that it could be dubbed "Little Asia" based on the significant Asian population there -- also there a number of CWRU students and profs living there, among others -- so much so, that LI's inter-connectivity with UC these days is so strong, it's almost like it's a shared neighborhood.

If you visit LI... take the Rapid to the new LI-UC station on Mayfield Road right at LI's doorstep (notably the very dense Mayfield Road commercial district, with lots of mixed-use buildings, including a new substantial new apt/retail complex: La Collina http://www.hwrep.com/project/la-collina/), and a short walk from UC's Uptown, CWRU and museums (the latter being a little bit farther away, but still walkable). When you get off the Rapid and come down to street level, you'll notice a healthy amount of foot traffic back 'n forth between the 2 neighborhoods flowing under the rail tracks...

... Aside from the large scale apartments, there is also the sea of new smaller scale apartment buildings and townhouses along E. 118th street stretching 2-blocks, just NW of Euclid. There is also the decade-old Coltman 27 townhouses right on the border of LI and UC near the Rapid Station (although LI claims these attractive buildings).

Old 05-04-2018, 08:52 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
A lot of people, present company included, long did not consider Little Italy a part of UC, and technically, it's not. Having grown up on the East Side and in the Heights, we always viewed LI as a very closed, insular neighborhood with the resident Italians walling themselves off... Not so much these days. The younger generation Italians don't think this way (if they live in LI at all). And while the neighborhood is strongly Italian in its retail district, it is more diverse than it has ever been -- the running joke is that it could be dubbed "Little Asia" based on the significant Asian population there -- also there a number of CWRU students and profs living there, among others -- so much so, that LI's inter-connectivity with UC these days is so strong, it's almost like it's a shared neighborhood.
Until its demise, the Cleveland Mafia vigorously enforced a color barrier in LI. I had a friend who bought a rental property in LI and was immediately visited and warned about the rules; it was a shocker.

University Circle officialdom definitely has absorbed Little Italy. I don't know if the University Circle police patrol there.

University Circle | Cleveland Ohio | Arts & Culture

Old 05-04-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Until its demise, the Cleveland Mafia vigorously enforced a color barrier in LI. I had a friend who bought a rental property in LI and was immediately visited and warned about the rules; it was a shocker.

University Circle officialdom definitely has absorbed Little Italy. I don't know if the University Circle police patrol there.

University Circle | Cleveland Ohio | Arts & Culture
I was aware LI had a racial/racist history. Your comments about the Mafia racial enforcement, while disturbing, is not surprising. LI fought relocating the Rapid stop to Mayfield Road for decades based on fear of a black & brown invasion -- mainly black -- even though everyone acknowledged that's where the Rapid needed to be. Old-line hard liners quietly grumbled when UCI pushed RTA to relocate the station, but fortunately their voices were drowned out. LI has an ugly legacy of race which thankfully seems to be dying out.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:45 AM

62 posts, read 200,995 times
Why does the issue of having African-American population keep popping up in regards to whether a place is Northeastern or Midwestern? It might be a indicator of whether something is in the West vs East of the US, but not whether it is Midwestern or not. If the northeast has places like Baltimore and Philadelphia with large AA populations, the Midwest has Chicago, Cincinnati, St. Louis, Milwaukee, and above all Detroit.

And if we are talking about tolerance, while I cannot speak from a personal level, reading the internet and watching the news, it does not seem to me that black people feel particularly accepted anywhere in the US.

Old 05-27-2018, 02:45 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,232,617 times
How many times are people going to ask this question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland