Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 08:44 AM

6 posts, read 27,070 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me about Breachwood area? I am relocating there in Dec 2011. I am looking for a upscale condo area.

Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 10:13 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
Hello, I am from Detroit. I was curious about the historically rich areas within the city limits of Cleveland. The neighborhoods of the old mansions/large homes (2,000 to 20,000 sq ft). In Detroit, the largest neighborhoods of the really big houses are Palmer Woods, Indian Village, and Boston-Edison. What are the similar neighborhoods in Cleveland?

Old 08-01-2011, 10:32 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Hello, I am from Detroit. I was curious about the historically rich areas within the city limits of Cleveland. The neighborhoods of the old mansions/large homes (2,000 to 20,000 sq ft). In Detroit, the largest neighborhoods of the really big houses are Palmer Woods, Indian Village, and Boston-Edison. What are the similar neighborhoods in Cleveland?
Just in the city limits it would be Edgewater area North of Clinton ave, near the Lakewood border. There used to be a lot of mansions on and near Euclid ave on the Eastside, but almost all have been knocked down. Not really any other areas in the city limits with "old mansions", there are new Mcmansions on the near Eastside (not a nice area), and there are other nice and wealthy areas in the city limits, but little to no mansions there. Bratenahl is a small suburb surrounded by Cleveland city that is filled with mansions.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:41 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usroute10 View Post
Glenville on the East Side (both sides of MLK but mostly east of it) is also historically upper middle class, but is now mostly poor and almost 100% black. Some of the finest houses ever built in Cleveland are there, but are in disrepair. There are some other neighborhoods with a similar history.

University Circle has quite a number of mansions but they are almost all being used by Case Western Reserve and other institutions.

Cleveland is cut smaller than Detroit, relative to its metro area. The old, wealthy areas of Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, Bratenahl, and Lakewood would be inside the city of Cleveland if it were scaled the way Detroit is.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:36 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlashoni View Post
Can someone tell me about Breachwood area? I am relocating there in Dec 2011. I am looking for a upscale condo area.

Donna
I think you mean Beachwood? Anyways, it's a nice area, low taxes, good schools and a nice selection of condos. I think it's probably a good place for you to start your search.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:25 AM

130 posts, read 299,547 times
This one is really easy...Hunting Valley HANDS DOWN!!! Hunting Valley is rank 6th wealthiest city in the entire country let alone the state. Pepper pike, Moreland Hills, Hudson are all on that list as well. They are ranked NATIONALLY.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:31 AM

1 posts, read 12,475 times
the eastside of cleveland has the most elite wealthy suburbs in ohio hunting valley pepper pike solon gates mills chargin falls and moreland hills jus to name a few amazing schools and mc mansions to mega mansions........ if ur looking for a affluent area this is where u wanna be

Old 10-14-2011, 05:18 PM

130 posts, read 299,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chase218 View Post
the eastside of cleveland has the most elite wealthy suburbs in ohio hunting valley pepper pike solon gates mills chargin falls and moreland hills jus to name a few amazing schools and mc mansions to mega mansions........ if ur looking for a affluent area this is where u wanna be
Fact!

Old 10-15-2011, 06:59 AM

26 posts, read 56,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by romeo62186 View Post
This one is really easy...Hunting Valley HANDS DOWN!!! Hunting Valley is rank 6th wealthiest city in the entire country let alone the state. Pepper pike, Moreland Hills, Hudson are all on that list as well. They are ranked NATIONALLY.
Gates Mills is home to a lot of big timers as well as some scattered throughout Waite Hill, Kirtland etc. anywhere in the Chagrin Valley really.

Old 10-15-2011, 02:22 PM

5,976 posts, read 13,115,474 times
[quote=Larry Siegel;20279768]Glenville on the East Side (both sides of MLK but mostly east of it) is also historically upper middle class, but is now mostly poor and almost 100% black. Some of the finest houses ever built in Cleveland are there, but are in disrepair. There are some other neighborhoods with a similar history.

University Circle has quite a number of mansions but they are almost all being used by Case Western Reserve and other institutions.

Cleveland is cut smaller than Detroit, relative to its metro area. The old, wealthy areas of Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, Bratenahl, and Lakewood would be inside the city of Cleveland if it were scaled the way Detroit is.[/QUOTE]

really?

Detroit proper is in the 700,000s, with a metro population aroudn 4.2 million in the metro, around 5.2 million in the combined metro.

Cleveland is in the 400,000s, with a metro pop just peeking above 2 million, with a combined metro of 2.8 million.

I think its pretty comparable.

Although I would say for experiencing just as much population loss relative to its peak 1950, Cleveland has done great in keeping its downtown and many of its neighborhoods more intact. (BTW: I Love Detroit, but we all know about the bad luck Detroit has had in terms of its leadership).

Detroit definitely metro has a metro closer to the size of Chicago metro and a historic size and population closer to Chicago. (MSA or CSA), but Cleveland is more like a mini Chicago in terms of maintaining vitality in the city proper (both downtown and neighborhoods).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland