Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 05:49 PM

53 posts, read 204,384 times

Advertisements

Hello, my fiance was accepted to Case for her masters degree. As such, we research neighborhoods and it seems that downtown or the area immediately around hte campus (university circle, university heights, cleveland heights) are the places to be that are most convenient for her. She could easily take public transit from downtown or be right at the doorstep of case in one of the other neighborhoods i mentioned above.
My question to you is, we researched houses in the university circle, univ heights, and cleveland heights area on cleveland.com and found nearly 200 houses in these areas for under 200K and these are big beautiful 4 bedroom + houses with yards. Why is it so darn cheap??? Even in Pittsburgh outside Carnegie Mellon in squireel hill or shady side, homes are mostly way above 200K. Are those old houses that nobody wants to keep up and property taxes are so high so the neighborhood is at risk for decline? Is the neighborhood OK in terms of safety? How are the high schools (thinking long term) in cleveland heights/univ heights and what school district is it? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2006, 07:04 PM

22 posts, read 207,577 times
Default schools

I am not sure specifically about those areas, but a website that has been helpful for me with choosing a school is greatschools.net

Also if you put into a google search:cleveland, national merit finalist, into it will bring up a recent cleveland plain dealer article about national merit finalist. It lists every school in Cleveland and Akron that had finalists. It's another way to sort of decide on schools.

A few years back, i think I remember a friend saying that University Heights had decent schools.

Hope that helps

Old 12-22-2006, 12:19 PM

306 posts, read 821,467 times
The Heights area varies widely in housing stock and neighborhood quality. There are very few serious crimes there but there are petty crimes, like break-ins and auto theft. It's what you would expect to find in a dense, urban area which the Heights area is. The areas west of Mayfield Road tend to be safer.

You mentioned all those houses that are $200,000 or under. There are plenty of those in the Heights area and yes they are older, but most are in good shape and have been taken care of. It's a buyers market, so its hard to sell anything here. The Heights also has plenty of houses over $500,000, alot of it depends on the location and its proximity to University Circle. In general, the closer you are to the Circle, the higher, the prices and the bigger the house.

Taxes can be high in the Heights but to me, its worth it. I think its a great community especially anywhere off of Cedar or Mayfield Road. If you are into the arts and like liberal diverse communities , the Heights (Shaker, Cleveland or University) is the place to be in Northeast Ohio. It is an older community and I believe the diversity also scares some people away. At the same time though the Heights has become very popular with young professionals and with the gay population which makes the city a cultural melting pot when you add in significant Jewish and African American populations.

School wise, the CH-UH district isn't the best, but its not the worse either. I would rate them mid-pack. Check out the Ohio school report cards and you can learn more about each school.

Old 12-29-2006, 09:30 PM

332 posts, read 2,252,652 times
Yeah Homes in Shaker or Cleveland Heights would be nice, but Glenville is the next "Hot" block. The area right now has some serious crime, but that changing as the city is cracking down hard on crime in this area and former owners are being priced out as nearby gentrification is raising home values. There are many new condo projects planned in this area and many young pros are moving in. Also Case is in the begining stages of a new arts and retail district at the Corner of Mayfield road and Euclid avenue. This will be a "college town" of sorts and include a hge new Barnes & Noble as well as new shops, condos and apartments and its right across the street from Case.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:27 PM

44 posts, read 258,409 times
The areas you listed are NOT safe. Check out further east like Solon, Aurora or Mayfield or Orange. Dont live there.

Old 12-29-2006, 10:37 PM

52 posts, read 171,705 times
Out of the three mentioned ( Cleveland Heights, University Heights, and University circle) I would choose University Heights. University Heights is home to John Carroll university ( elite private school ) ... It is a lot safer than Cleveland Heights and the house prices are decent too. If you are looking for good high schools you should go farther into the suburbs ( Mayfield Heights, Solon, Mentor, Beachwood, and Orange).... I lived in Cleveland Heights for a year and then moved to Mayfield Heights which is where i have lived for the past 12... Cleveland Heights has some good areas but you have to be very careful....Most of Cleveland Heights is old and has lots of crime.... I wouldn't take a chance living there. My friend is currently an undergrad student at CASE. He said he wouldn't EVER live in Cleveland Heights.

University Heights is your best choice.

Old 12-29-2006, 11:31 PM

Cleveland and Shaker Heights are ALOT closer than those other areas mentioned. Suburban Cleveladers often have a perception that the whole of the inner ring suburbs and inner cities are dangerous because they spend little or NO time there at all. This is NOT the case at all. I suggest you spend some time in the area especially places like coventryand see for yourself. The areas further east willkill you with commute times trust me. On the other other hand if you prefer the cookie cutter newer suburbs and don't mind 45 minute comutes (with good traffic) to school then Solon will suit you. Cleveland and Shaker Heights are old and are the better for it. They have grand mansions and mini mansions as well as grand brownstone apartments. They also have more typical wood framed housing.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:03 PM

44 posts, read 258,409 times
it doesnt take 45 minutes from solon--maybe 20-25. not bad, and you live in peace without having the fear of getting robbed.

Old 12-30-2006, 03:15 PM

SO you have the fear of being robbed in Cleveland Heights or Shaker Heights? You obviously have spent NO time there at all, so just don't comment on what you know nothing about.

To the original poster I suggest you look at several areas and see whats best for you. Shaker has excellent schools and Mass transit trains as well as the buses. Its also a 10 minute drive to University Circle. It would probably be the best fit as its has convienent mass transit, good schools and you can easily find some good houses. THe taxes can be a killer though.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:17 PM
KJP

14 posts, read 63,696 times
Sounds like he's afraid of those who aren't white. I can't believe the moderators let people like him post here. See UrbanOhio.com for more educated and tolerant people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: