Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 08:13 PM

2 posts, read 10,491 times

Advertisements

I was consedering going to Cleveland State University,major in Urban Planning, Design & Development. Is it a good program? What about Cleveland, is it a good city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 10:46 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,281,289 times
The program is ranked pretty decent...top 30-40 in the country.

Where are you coming from?? As an Urban Planning major, I think you would enjoy and appreciate Cleveland by default.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:44 AM

2 posts, read 10,491 times
I am in NJIT now .Architecture major .I am considering change to this program . But i dont know if it worth to do it .

Old 04-29-2008, 02:46 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
I can help you out big time, working on the same thing right now. I checked out Cleveland State, it was not bad, but I ended up going with Kent State, not a far drive from Cleveland, plus Kent is working with a collaboration in downtown Cleveland, so you get hands on work with projects in Cleveland. It is really cool. Kent is one of the finest in terms of urban planning and their program with it.

As far as Cleveland. Couldn't ask for a better city that is making a comeback. Over 4.3 billion in development the last few years, new plans for transportation, lakefront development, and many more. I have already been offered a few positions at firms based here in Cleveland. The growth is great! Seriously, if you have more questions, ask. I am doing the same thing right now.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:33 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Dont know much about that program, but Cleveland is a great city with everything urban you can think of.

Old 05-02-2008, 02:30 PM

82 posts, read 285,342 times
I actually got my Masters in Architecture from Kent State and they are connected with CSU. I had to take 5 or 6 classes at CSU. I thought they were going to be crap, but they were some of the better classes that I took in college. The mix of students backgrounds really is a plus there. You have kids like me that are "college age" and professionals already working in the fields going back to get higher degrees. Also I felt that the caliber of the proffessors was quite high. Again a good mix of reality based teaching and theory based teaching. As an outside perception I don't have the exacts but I beleive at one time they were ranked the #1 urban studies program in the states. Although I don't think that they had much to compete against. Lastly the ability to see real world problems (here in Cleveland) and theory fixes for those problems was a huge plus.

Old 07-27-2010, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 3,258 times
To Traveler87:

I'm a Cleveland resident attempting to gain real-world experience in urban planning prior to pursuing a Masters at CSU.

Any advice on where these jobs exist, if they do, for a candidate with a 2007 Ivy League Bachelors degree with experience in business management?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:55 AM

126 posts, read 339,153 times
Hi,
I know someone who is moving from Pittsburgh to attend CSU for the same program! He's excited about it and said it was a very good program. He'll be starting next month, so unfortunately I can't give you any info on what it's like, yet.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:14 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costello_musicman View Post
The program is ranked pretty decent...top 30-40 in the country.

Where are you coming from?? As an Urban Planning major, I think you would enjoy and appreciate Cleveland by default.
The Urban Affairs program was ranked #2 nationally...part of the same school at CSU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland