Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:09 PM

420 posts, read 1,041,811 times

Advertisements

Well I Guess since this post is up again , A little updating will not hurt ,
Gordon Square is now complete in it's new beginning with New landscaping ,
an old movie theater , now total digital shown movies
People looking for a a little strip to call home , you might like it, or not
This is still the city , it is not your little suburban piece of America ,
IMO , you take the pros and cons of living in the city , MEANING maybe
not all properties are pretty , but I have lived in this area for many
years and never had a problem, I really do not know what most people
posting on this site feel an area SHOULD BE LIKE , ( Gentified ) for what reason !
Oh and what is seedy ( I am not blind I could guess but JUST BECAUSE
IT SEEMS Does not mean most any of us living here are . I could go on and on
Citydudeallover , meaning I lived in the Shaker Square area in it's prime, and it's
down fall , and to seeing it today , back to it's almost past glory.
ALL I ASK FROM ANYONE , Do you live in a neighborhood , that you say is " seedy"
and The crime stats prove that , please rethink , I have never had a problem
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:01 AM

6 posts, read 27,070 times
How is mayfield heights & what area is the area where the reserve apartments(1701 E. 12th Street Cleveland, OH 44114) Downtown east or west?????

So shaker height, breach wood are nice areas to live in?

Moving to Cleveland in Nov 2011. Trying to find location now?

Last edited by Yac; 07-06-2011 at 03:07 AM..

Old 07-06-2011, 08:54 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Mayfield Heights = nice. Downtown = nice and getting better. Shaker = nice, though some don't seem to like it. Beachwood = nice.

The Reserve Square Apartments are Downtown on the near east side (E. 12th, between Chester Ave. and Superior Ave.).

Old 07-06-2011, 06:54 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,872,410 times
Uh, I just moved to Shaker and live with my wife and her long-time Shaker parent residents, and none of them say Shaker Square is a safe area! It's not incredibly dangerous, but it has its problems -- particularly at night. You could find plenty of other alternatives along the Blue and Green lines if you prefer easy access to transit. I live near Van Aken and Onaway, which is a stone's throw away from the Kinsman ghetto area, but also very very safe. There are MANY apartments along Van Aken, as well as Woodland, Shaker, Lee, Chagrin, Warrensville Rd, etc. where you can be safe AND near retail/transportation in the Shaker/Beachwood area East Side.

Just my $0.02.

Old 07-07-2011, 12:42 PM
jmv

96 posts, read 214,850 times
Re: Shaker Square. I guess it is a matter of perspective. We go there all the time. We bike there with our kids, go to the Farmers Market every Saturday, hang out at Deweys, go to Fire (my favorite restaurant), and Yours Truly and go to movies during the day and night. My young teenage children have even met up with their friends at the movie theater without parents (we do take them there and pick them up) without any problem. We are very comfortable in cities and like having this urban area near our Shaker Heights home.

You do have to be aware of your surroundings in Shaker Square at night, just like in any urban area. During the day, it feels safe to me. I feel the same way about the Larchmere neighborhood. Part of living in an urban or semi urban area is that you are around all different sorts of people. To me, that is what makes it interesting. I guess people have to guage their own comfort level in urban areas, but making a blanket statement that it is unsafe seems a little unsophisticated and uniformed.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:14 PM

Shaker Square is not dangerous...at all. If the new definition of dangerous is what used to be called "urban," I guess it's time for some more people to put away their spine and move out to the sticks.

jmv: it's unsophisticated, uninformed and, dare I venture, a bit racist.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,029 times
We have 3 children.
I also wish to take public transportation AND be close to amenitites.
We are looking at Lakewood. We think we could really enjoy ourselves there.
what are your thoughts????? And whre in Lakewood???
thank you

Old 01-09-2013, 09:03 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenx30 View Post
We have 3 children.
I also wish to take public transportation AND be close to amenitites.
We are looking at Lakewood. We think we could really enjoy ourselves there.
what are your thoughts????? And whre in Lakewood???
thank you
Anywhere between Madison Ave and Clifton. Both those streets have the best bus service with easy access to 2 RTA Stations (Clevelands' "subway").

Old 01-09-2013, 03:24 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Anywhere between Madison Ave and Clifton. Both those streets have the best bus service with easy access to 2 RTA Stations (Clevelands' "subway").
What??? Madison Avenue has dreadful bus service. Buses run only every 30 minutes to an hour on weekdays and then stop running shortly after 7:00 p.m. No Saturday or Sunday service at all, sorry.

Clifton bus service has also become pretty meager ever since those severe, to-the-bone cuts were made a couple years ago. No Saturday/Sunday service at all there, either.

Cleveland is not the type of city one should live in if one wishes to go carfree.

And what RTA station does the Clifton bus access? Or did you mean the Detroit bus?

Old 01-10-2013, 10:42 AM

Anywhere between Madison and Clifton, the center of which is Detroit. The Detroit Avenue bus runs 24/7 and is, at most, 1/2 a mile away from either Madison or Clifton. You know, a 10 minute walk... just like in Chicago!

If you truly wish to go car free, I wouldn't live in Chicago either.

The best aspect about transportation when living in a city such as Cleveland is that you actually have a choice. You could go car free, if you want to. But, owning, operating, parking, licensing, and insuring a car is not the major hassle and extra expense that it can be in other places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland