Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 06:24 AM

7 posts, read 15,555 times

Advertisements

I posted a similiar thread over in the Raleigh forum and was requested to also ask over here.

My wife might have a great opportunity in her company but it would involve a move to the office in Farmville from Western MA. I am in IT, specifically network security. I work from home 4 out 5 days a week, adding the 5th may not be a problem, but eventually I may need to find a new job.

We're looking for a town with a decent commute to farmville, where houses are say $225k-300k, near water or the coast if possible.

We currently have 2 acres, around 2000 sq feet, and most importantly we live in a town where we can park a travel trailer at our house, have a dog and a satellite dish and not have any complaints so I'd be looking for the same.

My son plays ice hockey and I coach. My daughter does dance. I was a huge Whalers fan before they moved, so the idea of watching the Hurricanes is pretty cool, they even have the same coach who coached the Whalers (Paul Maurice), so a place that has these activities will be a plus. I'd like to catch some Nascar races, we love the NFL but the Panthers seem pretty far. We also love to camp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2011, 01:44 PM

451 posts, read 1,915,171 times
How close to the water do you need to be? In the Greenville/Farmville area, your price range for a house should get you a really nice place.

You should have no problem meeting your housing requirements...the area is pretty laid back and I haven't heard of any restrictions on what you can keep on your property if you live outside the city limits.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:22 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,264,777 times
You could probably find something nice in the Ironwood or Rock Springs area. Fairly quick drive to Farmville. You're near the Tar River for "water". But actual ocean is around 90min or so.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:50 PM

168 posts, read 494,722 times
Ironwood is really nice, especially if you want to be close to Farmville.

Old 01-03-2011, 05:28 PM

Thanks everyone, I can't seem to find Ironwood or Rock Springs on a map. What are the opinions of Winterville?

Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM

168 posts, read 494,722 times
Ironwood and Rock Springs are subdivisions, not towns. Most of Greenville/Farmville/Winterville are split up into litttle "neighborhoods" of houses. This site is really useful for navigating subdivisions, you need to register to browse by sudivision, but it is free and a super useful tool:
Greenville, NC Real Estate and Subdivision Guide

Anyway, I live in Winterville and love it, it is just sort of a suburb of Greenville and you can go from one to the other without noticing it. The list of nice subdivisions in Winterville is too long to list, it really depends on what you want in a house (old or new, top or bottom of your price range etc.), there is really something for everyone. It isn't as, well, small and slightly farmish as Farmville, but it is smaller that Greenville if that makes sense. To me (and this is just my driving through opinion, residents of Farmville don't start jumping all over me), but Farmville comes across as dilapidated to me, I mean there are some (very) old pretty homes, but other than that the "downtown" seems dead and there seem to be a larger proportion of ghettoish sections, compared to let's say, Winterville, which is a very short drive away. Again, this is just my humble opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:36 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
There are plenty of homes out in the "country" that meet your requirements. Property taxes in any of the towns and cities are kinda on the high side. You pay both county and city taxes in full. There is no differential for overlapping services.

Ironwood is among the nicest neighborhoods in the area if you like golf and hate trees. You also might catch some guff from your neighbors if you like to collect "stuff" in your yard. Look around. There are tons of extremely nice houses outside of the cities/towns.

Salt water is a short 30 minute drive from Greenville in Washington. There are areas of Washington that have simply got it "going on" in a way that Greenville wishes it could. The waterfront in Washington is starting to take off and it's looking extremely nice. High end. Bring your big check book kind of stuff.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:32 AM

Thanks again everyone. We aren't into golfing. When you say homes in the country, outside of the cities and towns, what are some examples, I think this may be exactly what we are looking for, right now we live in a town with 2000 people about 20 - 30 minutes from the nearest small city, no subdivisions.

I checked out the greenvillemove.com site and in Winterville Denali and Windsor Downs stood out. How are they?

Last edited by sritter; 01-04-2011 at 06:08 AM..

Old 01-04-2011, 06:09 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,107,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sritter View Post
Thanks again everyone. We aren't into golfing. When you say homes in the country, outside of the cities and towns, what are some examples, I think this may be exactly what we are looking for, right now we live in a town with 2000 people about 20 - 30 minutes from the nearest small city, no subdivisions.
Farms, trees, barns, cows, horses, corn, soybean, cotton, big giant tractors in the road. The country. I live on a 1 acre lot. I have no direct next door neighbor. Zoning is virutally non existant. I have a small horse farm next door that is on 3 acres. I built a 16 by 32 deck and no permit was required since I built it myself.

This is an example of the types of homes that you can find here for under $300k....

191 Pond Lane Grimesland NC - Listing of a Home for Sale - Real Estate - MLS #22210 - Realtor.com®

P.S. Note to mods... I am NOT a real estate agent. I only posted this link as an example of what a person may find in real estate in this area. Please don't remove this. Thank You.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:47 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,264,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sritter View Post
Thanks everyone, I can't seem to find Ironwood or Rock Springs on a map. What are the opinions of Winterville?
If you would stay in Winterville you're looking at about a 25minute drive, but mostly rural driving, which is good. You could probably find something between Farmville and Greenville with a lot of space. And you'll be close to both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina