Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 07:12 AM

280 posts, read 1,072,786 times

Advertisements

I know there have been several similar threads, but I really need some help from those familiar with these beaches. My husband and I and our two young kids (3 and 6) are planning to rent a condo for a week end of May. We typically do Corolla in the outer banks but are looking for a change.

We have narrowed our search based on research to Ocean Isle or the Crystal Coast (found rentals we like in Pine Knoll or Indian Beach - Ocean Club).

Having never been to either area, I am torn. We see pros and cons to both areas. We are looking for really nice beaches (they both seem to have that), a family atmosphere (no college party crowd), and an area that we can go biking, has a few nice places to eat and shop, and while quiet, doesn't have that isolated feel. We definately need to stay in a place with a pool as the kids love to swim.

We are looking for input on Ocean Side West in Ocean Isle and Ocean Club in Indian Beach.

Any other advice on the feel of these two areas would be welcome. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 07:33 PM

4,023 posts, read 3,796,651 times
If you want variety in places to take the kids for fun (like the little amusement park in AB, or mini golfing, or...) or yourselves for dinner, I say Indian Beach. Attractions, shops and restaurants in Emerald Isle and Atlantic Beach are about the same distance. If you choose to just do the beach, Indian Beach is less crowded than the ends of Bogue Banks (the island it is on; there are bridges at each end and that is where it is busiest) and your destination choices are about the same. But having the extra choices from Indian Beach could be an ace in the hole. We have taken our kids there many times.

Old 04-08-2012, 02:24 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Repped^^^^^^^. I agree.

I was going to suggest the the central Bogue Banks area in this thread but never got around to it:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...ch-please.html

FYI: the amusement parks are no longer at the AB end, but Fort Macon has been renovated and you have the maritime museum across the bridge in Beaufort, as well as Shackleford Banks. On the EI end there are some attractions, as well as Mac Daddy's across the bridge.
Mac Daddy's

Bogue Banks more or less breaks down to nature and history on the east end and entertainment on the west end with the aquarium and less crowded beaches in the middle.

Old 04-08-2012, 05:07 PM

116 posts, read 338,821 times
I would take the Crystal Coast over Ocean Isle hands down. ocean Isle is nice but less to do unless you ride into Wilmington or down to Myrtle Beach. Pine KNoll Shores has one of the state aquariums right there, nice beaches and Fort Macon down the road. There is no longer an amusement park in AB but there is a small putt putt arcade place right outside Salter Path headed towards AB. it is a very nice area overall. If not there maybe Wrightsville Beach is also nice, good beaches and even more.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:08 AM

280 posts, read 1,072,786 times
Thanks everyone, we actually ended up booking in Ocean Isle Beach. Really looking forward to it!

Old 04-17-2012, 02:45 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Though you've already decided, my dad used to have a place at the Ocean Club and I still visit a friend's place there. They have really begun "skimping" on the amenities to renters compared to what they used to do. For example, they used to provide beach chairs and umbrellas to renters--no longer. The pool has had "issues" more frequently in the last year or two. Parking can be an issue if you're on the beach side because everybody from the Sound side drives over and parks there to use the beach.

I visit there because it's free, but it is not somewhere I would choose to rent.

OP: Ocean Isle is where I go once a year with a college group. There is not as much to "do" there as far as commercial things (restaurants, putt-putt, etc) but if you like to go to the beach for family time and play board games, cards, etc, it's a wonderful beach. Rent bicycles for the week and go riding; you can do one end of the island to the other as a good daily ride.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novamom06 View Post
Thanks everyone, we actually ended up booking in Ocean Isle Beach. Really looking forward to it!
Francois didn't specify, but Ocean Club, is in Indian Beach. Though it would not have been my personal choice, I actually admire the fact you went with Ocean Isle instead of Bogue Banks despite all of the suggestions otherwise. If only because it seems not many people think for themselves nowadays.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Francois didn't specify, but Ocean Club, is in Indian Beach.
That's because the OP mentioned this fact in her first post

Quote:
We have narrowed our search based on research to Ocean Isle or the Crystal Coast (found rentals we like in Pine Knoll or Indian Beach - Ocean Club).

Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
That's because the OP mentioned this fact in her first post
That she did, belay my last.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina