Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:05 PM

16 posts, read 31,806 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

My inlaws recently moved to Havelock, NC and have invited us down to live with them so that we can save $$. I began reseaching the job market and it doesnt look to good (perhaps I'm not looking in the right places). Also we have children 1 entering HS and 1 entering kindergarden how is the Craven County schools system?

Also worst case senario I guess we could commute to the closet major big city for employment....Raleigh? Is this commute realistic?

All thoughts or opinions are welcome. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HATENYC View Post
My inlaws recently moved to Havelock, NC and have invited us down to live with them so that we can save $$. I began reseaching the job market and it doesnt look to good (perhaps I'm not looking in the right places).....
Also worst case senario I guess we could commute to the closet major big city for employment....Raleigh? Is this commute realistic?
Raleigh would be out of the question: about 2-2.5 hours away. New Bern and Morehead City are the main employment centers. Jacksonville is more like a 35-40 mile commute, but it would be do-able. The job market is not great: 8.8% unemployment around Jacksonville, Craven County has 10% unemployment, and Carteret has 9.3%.

Perhaps if you list your jobs skills, people can give suggestions.

About the Craven County schools, there have been several recent discussions. They are among the best in Eastern North Carolina.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Raleigh would be out of the question: about 2-2.5 hours away. New Bern and Morehead City are the main employment centers. Jacksonville is more like a 35-40 mile commute, but it would be do-able. The job market is not great: 8.8% unemployment around Jacksonville, Craven County has 10% unemployment, and Carteret has 9.3%.

Perhaps if you list your jobs skills, people can give suggestions.

About the Craven County schools, there have been several recent discussions. They are among the best in Eastern North Carolina.

I have a masters degree in education but I really dont want to teach....but would still like to work in the education field. I will definately research the job market in Jacksonville. Would Havelock be considered rural? We live in NYC and absolutely hate it and Im ready for a change....Thanks your input!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:55 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,026,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HATENYC View Post
Would Havelock be considered rural? We live in NYC and absolutely hate it and Im ready for a change....
I'd consider it rural. It is surrounded by National Forest, and the largest employer is the Marine Corps Air Station. There is one main shopping strip through town. It may be a good place to retire, but there isn't much to do for kids accustomed to malls and arcades. The recreation for your kids would be to learn sailing in the river, and to go to the beach at Atlantic Beach. It would definitely be a big change from NYC.

You might find job openings with the Marine Corps Community Services at: http://www.usmc-mccs.org/careers/locations.cfm . Try locations at both Cherry Point and Camp Lejeune. If you can deal with the public, there might be opportunities in real estate or with firms renting beach homes to the public.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
Most of the employment in Havelock proper revolves around the Marine base. MCAS Cherry Point, in Havelock, is home to the largest industrial employer east of I-95 with the Fleet Readiness Center Fleet Readiness Center (which locals still call NADEP), plus hundreds of other jobs all related to the base. So for employment look on USAJOBS https://www.usajobs.gov/ and MCCS https://careers.usmc-mccs.org/psc/hp...FrameName=None . The extremes of your commuting distance (1hr or less), would be Kinston and Jacksonville. Though I've known a few people o commute from Havelock to Greenville and vice versa, though it is a little over an hour. Between those you can look at New Bern, and Morehead City for work. You can search jobs on the NC Employment Security Commission site here: Applicant Preview Current Job Listings

Though Havelock has a base it's not a military town in the same way Jacksonville or Fayetteville. I'm always astonished at the people that don't even know the place has base, let alone it exists at all, that live further east than Kinston. Despite plenty of people from Raleigh passing through it, it's just the place between New Bern and Morehead City with all of the stop lights. Noting much going on there, the community kind of revolves around youth sports and extra curricular activities from T-Ball through High School. Though it's a 3A School it has a 4A sized band and is the largest extra curricular activity in the school with it's own marching band,jazz band,concert band, symphonic band, wind ensemble, winter guard, color guard and performing arts center. Havelock High School Band
HHS Band Recruitment 2012 - 2013 - YouTube
The football team is the back-2-back 3A champs. Strong NJROTC program, young Marines, and everything else. The school is strong in academics as well being listed in "US News World Reports America's Best High Schools" and is a NC School of Distinction with High Growth. Havelock High School - Home

As far as elementary schools in Havelock there are no bad ones, but the two Great ones are Arthur Edwards and Gurganus. Arthur Edwards is a year round school, Gurganus isn't. Graham A. Barden (traditional) and Havelock Elementary (YR) are above average. Roger Bell is below, but that is chiefly due to the demographics of the school. A kid with an involved parent will do fine at any of them, with slight reservations about Roger Bell. Those same demographics that make up that school can also lead to harder acceptance for an outsider. Speaking of outsiders, the base causes for a much more diverse make up of the schools and communities than you would typically find in a town in that size.

GreatSchools.org Search: havelock

Old 02-12-2013, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I'd consider it rural. It is surrounded by National Forest, and the largest employer is the Marine Corps Air Station. There is one main shopping strip through town. It may be a good place to retire, but there isn't much to do for kids accustomed to malls and arcades. The recreation for your kids would be to learn sailing in the river, and to go to the beach at Atlantic Beach. It would definitely be a big change from NYC.

You might find job openings with the Marine Corps Community Services at: MCCS Locations . Try locations at both Cherry Point and Camp Lejeune. If you can deal with the public, there might be opportunities in real estate or with firms renting beach homes to the public.

Although we live in this overcrowed city my kids are always home. Im a very protective parent especially with all the craziness taking place here....So learning to sail sounds like an awesome activity (an activity that would cost $$$$$ in NYC to engage in). Me personally I LOVE LOVE LOVE the beach and would spend every waking moment there if I could. Definately a people person so perhaps there is a rainbow at the end of this tunnel

I will definately check the sites you provided, I really appreciate you help!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Most of the employment in Havelock proper revolves around the Marine base. MCAS Cherry Point, in Havelock, is home to the largest industrial employer east of I-95 with the Fleet Readiness Center Fleet Readiness Center (which locals still call NADEP), plus hundreds of other jobs all related to the base. So for employment look on USAJOBS https://www.usajobs.gov/ and MCCS https://careers.usmc-mccs.org/psc/hp...FrameName=None . The extremes of your commuting distance (1hr or less), would be Kinston and Jacksonville. Though I've known a few people o commute from Havelock to Greenville and vice versa, though it is a little over an hour. Between those you can look at New Bern, and Morehead City for work. You can search jobs on the NC Employment Security Commission site here: Applicant Preview Current Job Listings

Though Havelock has a base it's not a military town in the same way Jacksonville or Fayetteville. I'm always astonished at the people that don't even know the place has base, let alone it exists at all, that live further east than Kinston. Despite plenty of people from Raleigh passing through it, it's just the place between New Bern and Morehead City with all of the stop lights. Noting much going on there, the community kind of revolves around youth sports and extra curricular activities from T-Ball through High School. Though it's a 3A School it has a 4A sized band and is the largest extra curricular activity in the school with it's own marching band,jazz band,concert band, symphonic band, wind ensemble, winter guard, color guard and performing arts center. Havelock High School Band
HHS Band Recruitment 2012 - 2013 - YouTube
The football team is the back-2-back 3A champs. Strong NJROTC program, young Marines, and everything else. The school is strong in academics as well being listed in "US News World Reports America's Best High Schools" and is a NC School of Distinction with High Growth. Havelock High School - Home

As far as elementary schools in Havelock there are no bad ones, but the two Great ones are Arthur Edwards and Gurganus. Arthur Edwards is a year round school, Gurganus isn't. Graham A. Barden (traditional) and Havelock Elementary (YR) are above average. Roger Bell is below, but that is chiefly due to the demographics of the school. A kid with an involved parent will do fine at any of them, with slight reservations about Roger Bell. Those same demographics that make up that school can also lead to harder acceptance for an outsider. Speaking of outsiders, the base causes for a much more diverse make up of the schools and communities than you would typically find in a town in that size.

GreatSchools.org Search: havelock
You've provided great information, thank you! I will continue to search and see what I discover....rest assured Im definately looking forward to change of pace. My son is more of a bball kid but overall he is an avid lover of sports like his dad so football should be inline. I dont know how he would feel about the marching band. Good to know the school system is good, once less thing I have to worry about.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:28 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,896,833 times
I don't know what the JV's record but he Varsity is currently 10-2 in conference. 13-7 overall . Rec and AAU Basketball is popular around here as well. Some players will play for HS and one of the rec or AAU teams simultaneously.

Basketball - Havelock High School

Old 04-21-2016, 06:54 PM

720 posts, read 805,912 times
This thread was last posted to in 2013. It is now 2016 and we are considering a move to Havelock. I've never been to NC and never heard of Havelock until last week, so I am interested in any perspectives on what it is like to to live there. We are an older couple so our children are grown, but we've not yet reached retirement age.

What is the weather like? The cost of living? The home rental market? What bugs and snakes or any other icky creatures are there to deal with? (I lived in Arkansas when I was a youngster, and we had to check our shoes before putting them on and watch out for water moccasins and copper heads!). Is it a well-cared for community, or is it a rundown community, or both? I am looking for all the usual info.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to take the time to give me your perspective.

Old 04-21-2016, 06:58 PM

398 posts, read 498,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgrdr View Post
This thread was last posted to in 2013. It is now 2016 and we are considering a move to Havelock. I've never been to NC and never heard of Havelock until last week, so I am interested in any perspectives on what it is like to to live there. We are an older couple so our children are grown, but we've not yet reached retirement age.

What is the weather like? The cost of living? The home rental market? What bugs and snakes or any other icky creatures are there to deal with? (I lived in Arkansas when I was a youngster, and we had to check our shoes before putting them on and watch out for water moccasins and copper heads!). Is it a well-cared for community, or is it a rundown community, or both? I am looking for all the usual info.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to take the time to give me your perspective.
Why Havelock? NC is big state with lots of nicer places than Havelock. You should visit NC and spend some time checking out various areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina