Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
The end result would be a new freeway connection from Raleigh to Virginia Beach. That would do wonders.
In what fashion? Who would benefit? People think that putting an Interstate or freeway through solves economic ills of the towns that the roads go by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2013, 02:41 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,258,170 times

Old 12-12-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
In what fashion? Who would benefit? People think that putting an Interstate or freeway through solves economic ills of the towns that the roads go by.
People in Raleigh & the Triangle want it. Less than 200 miles to the 15th busiest port in the Nation (3rd in foreign exports). Wilmington was 63rd and Morehead City was 94th. There are

Priorities - Regional Transportation Alliance

Old 12-12-2013, 03:14 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,101,128 times
Quote:
People in Raleigh & the Triangle want it. Less than 200 miles to the 15th busiest port in the Nation (3rd in foreign exports). Wilmington was 63rd and Morehead City was 94th. There are

Priorities - Regional Transportation Alliance
Well, that's good for them. My priorities are in Eastern Carolina and specifically Greenville. I do know some people and every chance I get I promote Greenville. The higher on the executive ladder you can promote, the better. I'm promoting near the top of the ladder in the telecommunications world. There is a lot of competition among small cities and Greenville can use all of the help it can get.

Old 12-13-2013, 03:55 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,308,497 times
Quote:
Well, that's good for them. My priorities are in Eastern Carolina and specifically Greenville. I do know some people and every chance I get I promote Greenville. The higher on the executive ladder you can promote, the better. I'm promoting near the top of the ladder in the telecommunications world. There is a lot of competition among small cities and Greenville can use all of the help it can get.
It appears that the 264/13/11 (if completed) would help Greenville tremendously, especially for the manufacturing / distribution sector for which it stands to be more competitive.

I applaud your efforts to advocate for Greenville, because I do see challenges ahead for Greenville's growth without diversification and infrastructural improvements.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:19 PM

47 posts, read 152,582 times
Quote:
Sorry Richard,

G'ville BLOWS! "Stop light city" is what I call it! If it wasn't for ECU G'ville would have died long ago!!

I will agree with you on one thing.... G'ville needs all the help it can get all right.... good crime prevention would be a start!

Old 03-12-2014, 10:06 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,494,119 times
I don't think an interstate connection between Raleigh and VA Beach is necessary nor economically feasible right now. But then again this is NC and we've spent billions on those I-73/74 routes to nowhere so it wouldn't surprise me if they do attempt to slowly build it out.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:04 AM

Four-Mile State Highway Finally Opens After 5 Years Of Work

Who knows if this will even be used for this proposed project.

Old 05-27-2014, 11:48 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,853,825 times
Quote:
Four-Mile State Highway Finally Opens After 5 Years Of Work

Who knows if this will even be used for this proposed project.
Its only useful if it ties to Highway 11 in both directions. If it did, the traffic from Wilmington to Greenville would have a bypass around Kinston. It could then be carried to 70 and have a southern bypass of 70. Then of course, you could finish the loop and you would have a Greenville to New Bern highway (using the final leg).

It sounds funny to have a loop around Kinston, but when you factor the cost to do something with Highway 43 from Greenville to New Bern...and you factor that Highway 11 is 4 lane and highway 70 is four lane...it may make the most sense. The GTP would then have its highway to the coast (with the Havelock bypass, etc), Raleigh and I-95 (with the Goldsboro bypass and I-795) and Greenville (via 11 and the Southwest bypass)...if a section of 11 is completed as 4 lane eventually from Pink Hill to I-40, it would also have access South.

FWIW, the previous section cost about $15 million and was 4.3 miles. And the article didnt report the new section had 12 bridges and 2 interchanges. Some "drive-by" reporting like usual nowadays.

Last edited by HP91; 05-27-2014 at 12:29 PM..

Old 05-27-2014, 08:04 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,725,977 times
While this is a fantasy, you guys need to work in US 17 and 70. Those two at least give you a bit of natonal defense backers. This would best work by making 17 and 70 Interstates, and then Greenville could vie for a cut through from 70 to 17.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina