Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 05:05 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,392,296 times

Advertisements

"Ending months of speculation, Publix announced Monday afternoon that it has signed a lease for its first Wilmington grocery store.

Publix at Pine Valley, a 45,000-square-foot grocery store, will open at South College Road and Bragg Drive in late 2016, according to a news release from Publix Super Markets."

Publix announces plans to come to Wilmington | StarNewsOnline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 07:39 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,316,737 times
Default Publix, Publix at Pine Valley, 716 Bragg Drive, Wilmington, North Carolina 28412

It is great to see Publix officially announce its first Wilmington store. The store for Ogden Market Place could be announced anytime now that Wilmington City Council approved zoning for the retail center.

Publix at Pine Valley, locating at 716 Bragg Drive, will be competing against:
  • Food Lion #221, Franklin Square, 3600 South College Road, Wilmington, North Carolina 28412-5240
  • Harris Teeter #441, Long Leaf Mall, 2800 South College Road, Wilmington, North Carolina 28412-6827
Publix at Pine Valley is yet to be added to "Publix Super Markets Locations in North Carolina."

Old 08-11-2015, 04:16 PM

116 posts, read 184,138 times
I am wondering what locals think about Publix? I think they are expensive.

Old 08-11-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efipoliRN View Post
I am wondering what locals think about Publix? I think they are expensive.
I have found Publix's prices to be cheaper than or on par with Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Ingle's, and Walmart.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:39 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,871,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
It is great to see Publix officially announce its first Wilmington store. The store for Ogden Market Place could be announced anytime now that Wilmington City Council approved zoning for the retail center.

Publix at Pine Valley, locating at 716 Bragg Drive, will be competing against:
  • Food Lion #221, Franklin Square, 3600 South College Road, Wilmington, North Carolina 28412-5240
  • Harris Teeter #441, Long Leaf Mall, 2800 South College Road, Wilmington, North Carolina 28412-6827
Publix at Pine Valley is yet to be added to "Publix Super Markets Locations in North Carolina."
A couple of interesting notes about this new Pine Valley store...

The intersection at Bragg is already set up to handle the traffic...it is somewhat underutilized but has a light.

The main competition will be with the Harris Teeter at Long Leaf, which I have been told is the highest grossing HT in Wilmington.

I am uncertain whether the Food Lion, which will be within stones throw of the Publix can make it. It is a low performer already and with the changes to College Rd a few years ago has no North access up College Rd. For example if you live in Woodberry Forest, you can come south on College Rd to the Food Lion, but when you leave FL, you have to go up 17th St and make a u-turn at the John Berry intersection and then go through the 17th/College intersection to get home. To get to Publix, you will just make a left at the Bragg intersection. Much simpler.

My prediction is that that FL shuts down within 5 years of the Publix opening...and who knows what would go into that spot.

FWIW, I think its a great thing for Pine Valley, just another easy shopping option and within walking distance for some.

Old 08-12-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
A couple of interesting notes about this new Pine Valley store...

The intersection at Bragg is already set up to handle the traffic...it is somewhat underutilized but has a light.
Bragg Drive will need turn lanes and turn signalization making left and/or right turns onto South College Road.

Quote:
The main competition will be with the Harris Teeter at Long Leaf, which I have been told is the highest grossing HT in Wilmington.
I wonder if Harris Teeter #441 is up for improvements. It does not have a pharmacy yet.

Quote:
I am uncertain whether the Food Lion, which will be within stones throw of the Publix can make it. It is a low performer already and with the changes to College Rd a few years ago has no North access up College Rd. For example if you live in Woodberry Forest, you can come south on College Rd to the Food Lion, but when you leave FL, you have to go up 17th St and make a u-turn at the John Berry intersection and then go through the 17th/College intersection to get home. To get to Publix, you will just make a left at the Bragg intersection. Much simpler.

My prediction is that that FL shuts down within 5 years of the Publix opening...and who knows what would go into that spot.

FWIW, I think its a great thing for Pine Valley, just another easy shopping option and within walking distance for some.
Food Lion's future could be dependent on the approval of Ahold's acquisition of Delhaize. If the acquisition is approved, Food Lion could undergo significant changes. If Food Lion #221 has been a consistent low performer for awhile with no change in sight, it could lose to Publix.

Old 08-14-2015, 08:42 PM

Default Publix, Publix at Pine Valley, 716 Bragg Drive, Wilmington, North Carolina 28412

Publix at Pine Valley is now listed on the "Publix Super Markets in New Bern, North Carolina" page. The page has been updated to include all announced stores across southeast North Carolina.

Old 08-16-2015, 09:38 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,742,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I have found Publix's prices to be cheaper than or on par with Bi-Lo, Food Lion, Ingle's, and Walmart.
"on par" with Walmart??

Sorry, but that is 100% not true.

I know you like Publix, but please do not spread misinformation.

People shop at Walmart because its no revelation they have the cheapest prices for the overwhelming majority of products.

People do not shop at places like Publix or Harris Teeter (or Fresh Foods) for the prices...lol

That is Ok, but lets just be truthful in posting...

Old 08-16-2015, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
"on par" with Walmart??

Sorry, but that is 100% not true.

I know you like Publix, but please do not spread misinformation.

People shop at Walmart because its no revelation they have the cheapest prices for the overwhelming majority of products.

People do not shop at places like Publix or Harris Teeter (or Fresh Foods) for the prices...lol

That is Ok, but lets just be truthful in posting...
Walmart does not have the lowest prices always. It has revolutionized pricing, and caused its competitors to be conscientious about pricing. Competitors have better deals on many varying items. I have traded with Walmart in both Supercenter and Neighborhood Market stores, and have not noticed vast differences in price with other conventional supermarkets.

Publix will do more than sell products at competitive prices in Wilmington.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:52 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,406,188 times
I honestly don't think another grocery store is needed out in this area
and totally dread another stop light on S. college rd.
Amazing that city planners allow more traffic on S.College road , it
won't be long before neighborhoods are going to demand sound walls put up.
Shopped at Publix while visiting Florida and was not overly impressed
and felt that it was one step down from HT.
Wondering what Publix is going to do more than sell products, as mentioned by
another poster?

I drive past this location every day and have not been
able to figure out where they are going to built the store.
All the corners have buildings on them but tomorrow I
will look for the sign that was put up Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina