Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 09:10 AM

8 posts, read 6,761 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My boyfriend and I are moving from Cleveland and are looking to move to a beach front area. Our options are pretty open in terms of location. We are looking anywhere along the east coast (NC is the farthest north we'll go) down to the gulf coast. Obviously this is a huge range, so I'm hoping you guys can help me out with NC. Here's what we're looking for:

1) Biking distance to the beach
2) I work from home, so I can be anywhere. Boyfriend works in construction and trades
3) No kids
4) We are in our early 30's so we would like something that has a good selection of bars, restaurants, entertainment, etc.
5) We would initially rent - looking to stay ~$1500 for 2 bedrooms
6) We can handle the tourist crowd in the summer and are fine with quieter times in the off season

We were set on moving to Folly Beach - but our rental property fell through and it made us reconsider our options. We love the atmosphere of Folly but an area that's a little bigger would be great.

Any ideas?? TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2016, 09:31 AM

8,435 posts, read 4,421,438 times
Brunswick County, in NC, just north of Myrtle Beach SC. One of the fastest growing areas in NC so there is a a lot of construction going on. You can look in Wilmington, Leland, Southport Bolivia, or Shallotte. Beaches include Oak Island, Holden and Ocean Isle. There are plenty of more rural areas. Central Brunswick County is about an hour from Myrtle Beach and an hour from Wilmington. There is housing at most any price point. Winters are mild, summers are hot and humid but not as bad as further south can be. Right now azaleas are in bloom everywhere and I think we just has our last cold night (38°) of the year. Come on down and sit spell, ya hear

Old 04-10-2016, 10:04 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,995,618 times
No there isn't anything like folly the closest maybe writesville you could try say morehead city

Wilmington downtown is closest to what you ask

Old 04-10-2016, 10:46 AM

398 posts, read 501,360 times
Wilmington, and the surrounding area. You can't afford Wrightsville Beach ("writesville"), but you may find something between Wilmington and WB in your price range. Carolina Beach and Oak Island would be good places to look. Holden Beach, Ocean Isle Beach and Sunset Beach may be possibilities...I'm not familiar enough with them to know about year around rental availability, but they might be worth looking into.

Leland, Bolivia and Shallotte are not within biking distance of the beach.

The Morehead City/Beaufort area would worth looking into as well.

Last edited by Lucky Dawg; 04-10-2016 at 10:55 AM..

Old 04-10-2016, 10:49 AM

8,435 posts, read 4,421,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
Wilmington, and the surrounding area. You can't afford Wrightsville Beach ("writesville"), but you may find something between Wilmington and WB in your price range. Carolina Beach and Oak Island would be good places to look.

Leland, Bolivia and Shallotte are not within biking distance of the beach.
Depends ... when I bike its not unusual to travel 20+ miles.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:56 AM

398 posts, read 501,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Depends ... when I bike its not unusual to travel 20+ miles.
Perhaps the OP should clarify what he/she means by "biking distance". My assumption is 30 minutes or less, but perhaps I'm wrong.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:31 AM

3,089 posts, read 4,904,715 times
Carolina Beach fits all the criteria and there is definitely enough construction in the Wilmington area.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:30 AM

Thanks, everyone! I'll start searching those areas. In terms of "biking distance" I was thinking less than 20 minutes on a bike

Old 04-11-2016, 03:56 PM

Alrighty, I did some research and it looks like Carolina Beach and possibly Oak Island meet the criteria and have rental properties available. For Oak Island, I see a lot of negative reviews; however, most were in 2012. Any opinions about living on Oak Island?

Old 04-11-2016, 07:05 PM

13,393 posts, read 27,239,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithcm View Post
Alrighty, I did some research and it looks like Carolina Beach and possibly Oak Island meet the criteria and have rental properties available. For Oak Island, I see a lot of negative reviews; however, most were in 2012. Any opinions about living on Oak Island?
I think that Oak Island would be feasible for you. Zillow shows 6 long-term rentals in your price range.

What kind of negative reviews are you seeing? IMO, the only negatives might be there there are low spots with a little street flooding, and the surf is not great.

One thing that makes Oak Island attractive to me is that the wires are all buried so that the landscape looks very natural. It also has conveniences like grocery stores readily available and a few decent restaurants. Nothing is ritzy, but that is OK with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina