Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2016, 12:39 PM

605 posts, read 1,259,410 times

Advertisements

Per article today in the news: Trader Joe's has been dethroned as America's favorite grocery store; this year, Wegmans took the crown, according to one annual survey.

Customer insights firm Market Force Information on Wednesday published a new set of grocery rankings culled from survey responses of more than 10,000 people. They're based on a composite loyalty index that measures criteria including satisfaction with the food quality, checkout speed, value and customer service.

For the first time in four years, Trader Joe's is not at the top of Market Force's list. It fell to the third spot behind Wegmans and Publix, respectively.

In an industry rife with competition, grocery chains must adapt to growing consumer needs and market trends. Particularly this year, as one in five consumers reported that they would not recommend their grocer to a friend or colleague, according to Market Force.

Trader Joe's declined to comment.

Well, well - here's hoping Wegmans WILL eventually reach Brunswick County!!!! Congrats !!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 12:42 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Meh. Been pretty much all chain grocery stores and IMO a store is a store is a store. I go to get food not to have an "experience" so I really don't care who's on top or what people would recommend. I shop where it's most convenient.

Old 04-15-2016, 10:52 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
For the first time in four years, Trader Joe's is not at the top of Market Force's list. It fell to the third spot behind Wegmans and Publix, respectively.
That is not surprising. Trader Joe's is not a general grocery store. It is a very expensive specialty store. I have enjoyed Wegman's, but would not go out of my way to buy there. I have never been to Publix, would be interested, especially if it had decent prices on staples and a selection of specialty goods.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:35 PM

895 posts, read 2,096,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
That is not surprising. Trader Joe's is not a general grocery store. It is a very expensive specialty store. I have enjoyed Wegman's, but would not go out of my way to buy there. I have never been to Publix, would be interested, especially if it had decent prices on staples and a selection of specialty goods.
With all due respect, Trader Joe's is not expensive. Their strategy has never included high prices; they carry mainly their own brands, and their prices are usually much better than other grocers in our area. They do have plenty of specialty items, but under their own label and reasonably priced. Their branded products are comparable or often better than major brand items at a significant cost savings. Often, people think of them as an expensive specialty store because they do seek out high income areas.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:58 AM

300 posts, read 475,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sregorat3 View Post
With all due respect, Trader Joe's is not expensive. Their strategy has never included high prices; they carry mainly their own brands, and their prices are usually much better than other grocers in our area. They do have plenty of specialty items, but under their own label and reasonably priced. Their branded products are comparable or often better than major brand items at a significant cost savings. Often, people think of them as an expensive specialty store because they do seek out high income areas.
Good observation and I agree, TJ has some excellent values on many items.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:10 AM

104 posts, read 148,668 times
My Trader Joe's favorites: Orange chicken, steamed she am and other asian dumplings, licorice, Ultra dark french roast coffee beans, Mushroom Risotto, all the different chocolate bars, crunchy dried green beans. Down side: crowded during peak shopping hours.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:26 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,387,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missynancy View Post
Per article today in the news: Trader Joe's has been dethroned as America's favorite grocery store; this year, Wegmans took the crown, according to one annual survey.

Customer insights firm Market Force Information on Wednesday published a new set of grocery rankings culled from survey responses of more than 10,000 people. They're based on a composite loyalty index that measures criteria including satisfaction with the food quality, checkout speed, value and customer service.

In an industry rife with competition, grocery chains must adapt to growing consumer needs and market trends. Particularly this year, as one in five consumers reported that they would not recommend their grocer to a friend or colleague, according to Market Force.

Trader Joe's declined to comment.

Well, well - here's hoping Wegmans WILL eventually reach Brunswick County!!!! Congrats !!
Take a trip to the new Harris Teeters 70,000 square ft. in Pinehurst (actually Taylortown) and you will forget all about Wegmans or Trader Joes.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:47 AM

300 posts, read 475,670 times
FWIW; 70,000 sq ft may be a large store for an area like Taylortown or Pindhurst? Wegman's is opening two stores in Richmond, VA that are 115,000 sq ft each. Kroger (the owner of Harris Teeter) has been opening their Marketplace concept that has stores in the 124,000 to 133,000 sq ft. size.

Interesting article about the new Wegman's store. It sounds like an unique shopping/dining experience.

Wegmans called a grocery gamechanger
Wegmans called a grocery gamechanger - Richmond Times-Dispatch: Richmond Area Business News

Last edited by Mr. Purple 2; 04-17-2016 at 10:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina