Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 09:40 AM

24 posts, read 27,763 times

Advertisements

hi everyone - my husband and I (both in our early 50's) and considering relocating to Greenville/Winterville area sometime in late 2017. we are coming from Syracuse, ny (upstate), and are looking for a lax feel. we have just returned from wake forest/Raleigh area thinking this would be the place we wanted to spend our retirement years, but it wasn't so - its very nice, but very congested there , esp with all the traffic - its just too much for us.....

can someone tell me how traffic is in Greenville ? we don't mind driving but we don't want all the congestion and faster than normal drivers - this is one of the main concerns we have and any info would be so much appreciated.

we are also sick of the cold, snow - do you get much there? how are the summers, fall, springtime?
we are still going to have to find new jobs - i'm in the secretarial field and my husband does odd jobs.....he worked in car repair for many many years and knows a bit of HVAC (but not certified)....any luck for us finding work?

thanks for all info you can give.......hope to hear back soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 11:51 AM

13,393 posts, read 27,239,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm102691 View Post
we are also sick of the cold, snow - do you get much there? how are the summers, fall, springtime?
we are still going to have to find new jobs - i'm in the secretarial field and my husband does odd jobs.....he worked in car repair for many many years and knows a bit of HVAC (but not certified)....any luck for us finding work?
Greenville will get a couple of inches of snow in a typical winter. Spring and fall are pleasant. Summers are (naturally) hot and humid. The full City-Data profile is here: https://www.city-data.com/city/Greenv...-Carolina.html

I would guess that it is possible to find jobs there, although you might be competing with students for jobs.

I am not familiar with traffic in Greenville, but I have the same reaction to Raleigh. The traffic in the Triangle is way too hectic. For an even more relaxed location, you might look at Washington, NC and Chocowinity. They are on the river, and have many retirees.

Old 04-17-2016, 03:04 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,134,443 times
Traffic in Greenville in nothing compared to Raleigh. The only thing about Greenville traffic is the majority of folks tend to drive a bit on the slow side. They slow down when approaching green light too. Probably the most annoying thing is that they do unpredictable things when driving. Where I moved from they drive like lunatics but they were predictable for the most part. You KNEW that guy was going to cut you off before he did it. You knew that the woman in the far left left was going to want to make that right hand exit. They do the same sorts of things here but for some reason, you just can't predict it. I guess it's that they do these things but they're not aggressive about doing them.

You should both have a relatively easy time finding jobs. Greenville truly is an inclusive city. There is something for everybody. The economy is good and jobs are plentiful. If you wanted to be a waitress or cashier I would agree that you'd have to compete with the college crowd, but neither of your professions is something that part timers are interested in.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:12 AM

3,089 posts, read 4,904,715 times
Greenville traffic is busy during the day...it doesn't really have any interstate type roads serving its commercial and residential population...so be prepared for the typical 4 lane stop light traffic.

They are starting a southwest bypass which will help get some traffic of the main north-south artery, but traffic in the commercial and residential areas will be pretty much the same. Its worse on weekends when people come in from neighboring counties to shop or during an ECU football game weekend.

Fall/Spring are great in Greenville...Winter is fairly mild...highs in the 40's mostly. Maybe five or so days it doesn't get above freezing. Summer is fairly hot and sticky. Sometimes REAL hot...not out of the norm for about five 100 degree days during the summer. A/C is your friend. Weather is about the same as Raleigh though...maybe a few degrees warmer in the winter and a few degrees warmer in the summer.

Old 04-18-2016, 03:27 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,266,724 times
Everything the above 2 posters said about the traffic in Greenville is accurate. I think the one thing that made me crazy is that people, (inc. Police) do NOT use their directional signals. If you see someone using their blinkers, it is a good guess they have relocated down there.

Aside from that we lived in Winterville for 13 yrs. & still have our home there that we are renting out. It is a beautiful little town, just outside of Greenville. There are 218 restaurants and every store you can think of within a 5 mi. radius. Health care IMO is superior.

It is a College town with ECU (Eastern Carolina University) in Greenville. Traffic is bad on weekends in the Fall when there are home games.

I would suggest that you rent for 1 yr. to see if you would like the area. Good luck!

Old 04-18-2016, 11:14 PM

181 posts, read 243,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Everything the above 2 posters said about the traffic in Greenville is accurate. I think the one thing that made me crazy is that people, (inc. Police) do NOT use their directional signals. If you see someone using their blinkers, it is a good guess they have relocated down there.

Aside from that we lived in Winterville for 13 yrs. & still have our home there that we are renting out. It is a beautiful little town, just outside of Greenville. There are 218 restaurants and every store you can think of within a 5 mi. radius. Health care IMO is superior.

It is a College town with ECU (Eastern Carolina University) in Greenville. Traffic is bad on weekends in the Fall when there are home games.

I would suggest that you rent for 1 yr. to see if you would like the area. Good luck!

Old 04-19-2016, 04:49 AM

24 posts, read 27,763 times
thank you all for your responses. I don't know why, but some of my responses aren't showing up!
is there much diff between Winterville and Greenville in terms of the traffic flow? I know I've said this several time s already, but congested traffic all the time is a no no for us. we want more of a relaxed feel when we move. not to say we don't expect congestion, but we don't want to have to worry about that being the case all the time. also, regarding the ocean I hear its 1.5 hours away. which beach is that? are there better ones that are further away? again, just asking since we have never been to the beaches in NC before. when we visited Raleigh/wake forest, what we didn't like was that the stores seemed to be all on the one strip on capital blvd, which we thought was like a race track! is that how the stores/shops are set up in Greenville and Winterville?

we are planning on making a visit by fall of this year, want to get this started and over with. going to have a realtor show us around the area also to see if its really a place that we want to live. so, what do the middle aged folks do for fun there? lots to do?

Old 04-19-2016, 05:48 AM

275 posts, read 333,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm102691 View Post
thank you all for your responses. I don't know why, but some of my responses aren't showing up!
is there much diff between Winterville and Greenville in terms of the traffic flow? I know I've said this several time s already, but congested traffic all the time is a no no for us. we want more of a relaxed feel when we move. not to say we don't expect congestion, but we don't want to have to worry about that being the case all the time. also, regarding the ocean I hear its 1.5 hours away. which beach is that? are there better ones that are further away? again, just asking since we have never been to the beaches in NC before. when we visited Raleigh/wake forest, what we didn't like was that the stores seemed to be all on the one strip on capital blvd, which we thought was like a race track! is that how the stores/shops are set up in Greenville and Winterville?

we are planning on making a visit by fall of this year, want to get this started and over with. going to have a realtor show us around the area also to see if its really a place that we want to live. so, what do the middle aged folks do for fun there? lots to do?

Traffic wise Winterville is almost non-existent. It's a town with a small center and is mostly made of subdivisions. Only traffic I know of is when it's like 5pm and your going in to Winterville via Old Tar Rd.

The beach closet to there is Emerald Isle. It's one of the more lively beaches in the state. If you want something slower pace than I highly recommend North Topsail beach in Onslow County. Little further but me and my wife like the calmness of it. There are other beaches in the Outer Bnaks and around Wilmington/Burnswick County, but they are all 2+ hours away.

Greenville Blvd and Memorial Blvd are kinda set up like that but on a far lower scale but like others said already the traffic is Greenville is not that bad so getting to those store.

Not exactly sure what middle age people do for fun.

PS my wife is from Lafaytte. I really like that area where y'all coming from

Old 04-19-2016, 07:53 AM

3,089 posts, read 4,904,715 times
Unless you are near the very small Winterville downtown, you wouldn't know the difference between Winterville and Greenville, in my opinion. They are both suburban...and there is flat farmland on the outskirts of the whole area.

The whole area is a basically a bunch of 4 lane roads...Evans St will be four laned to Winterville in the very near future. Firetower is 4 lane, Greenville Blvd is, Memorial is (small section of 6 lane), 10th St, Charles Blvd, Arlington Blvd...they all are relatively the same. It's busy...but everything there is within a couple of miles.

I think the worst traffic issue is likely Arlington Blvd at rush hour between Bells Fork and the Hospital district.

I wouldn't describe it as a raceway, because there is enough traffic that you just cant go that fast.

Greenville/Winterville is very much more affordable than the Raleigh area....but the job pay isn't as much either.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:02 AM

7,198 posts, read 6,895,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
It is a College town with ECU (Eastern Carolina University) in Greenville.
I think you just lost any friends you have in Greenville.

Jk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina