Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2016, 01:53 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,819,674 times

Advertisements

Kmart at 720 Sutter Creek Boulevard in Rocky Mount will close in July. 10 Sears stores and 68 Kmarts are closing nationwide. Once the store in Rocky Mount closes, the only Kmart stores left in eastern NC will be in Goldsboro, Jacksonville, Morehead City and Wilmington. Liquidation sales start on May 12.

List: 78 Sears, Kmart stores closing

Last edited by LM117; 04-27-2016 at 02:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 08:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times
Default Kmart #4716, Sutter's Creek Plaza, 720 Sutter's Creek Boulevard, Rocky Mount, North Carolina 27804

Most stores in this round of closings are Kmart. Store closings are becoming an unfortunate common event for Sears Holdings, which continues to struggle.

When did Kmart #4716 open for business?

Old 04-27-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
When did Kmart #4716 open for business?
I honestly have no idea. I believe it was already open when we moved to NC in the summer of 1995 when I was 6, but I could be wrong. I've only been to that particular Kmart once a few years ago. I've been to Rocky Mount quite a few times, but I've never paid any attention or looked for a Kmart there until the time I went there. The building did look like it had some age to it, so unless someone with more knowledge of it corrects me, I'm going to assume it's been open at least 25 years, give or take a few.

Old 04-27-2016, 02:13 PM

33 posts, read 51,940 times
I worked in Rocky Mount from 1996 to 1999, and spent a lot of time there up until 2005 or so. I'm pretty sure Kmart was at its current location at Sutter's Creek Plaza in 1996.

I do know that Kmart at some point in the past used to be off of Sunset Avenue on Stone Creek Drive (the strip plaza behind the Ford dealership). A friend of mine had a Tattoo shop in that shopping center and everyone I knew of in Rocky Mount called it "the old Kmart shopping center". I'm not sure exactly what year that they moved though.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:13 PM

63 posts, read 203,182 times
The k Mart in Rocky Mount , like k Mart's elsewhere, was in poor condition. The ceiling tiles were brown stained from roof leaks, AC vents clogged with dust, the floors were scarred and stained. The staff was non existent except at the return area. Merchandise would be literally piled up like an ugly jenga tower. The shelves would be half empty and the other half had outdated dusty merchandise.

I thought the store would pick up its image when hobby lobby opened at the other end of the plaza. The hobby lobby is incredible. Its modern, bright, clean, with happy staff. Well placed , interesting merchandise. Truly an awesome store. Hobby Lobby became so popular that the Michael's store in the Walmart plaza closed about a year after hobby lobby opened. Michael's was like the Kmart of crafting supplies. Good riddance.

Chuck e cheese is between hobby lobby and the now closed Kmart. Its a popular spot despite its small footprint. The did a store makeover in the past year. The staff is friendly and available. The pizza is gross to me. Not sure if all Chuck e cheese makes the same gross pizza. The serve beer if you need a mild sedative from kid over-sensitivitation.

I wanted to check out the new Sweet Taters restaurant at the brew mill this weekend. But my kids take precedent on outing choices.

Old 04-30-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenne View Post
The k Mart in Rocky Mount , like k Mart's elsewhere, was in poor condition. The ceiling tiles were brown stained from roof leaks, AC vents clogged with dust, the floors were scarred and stained. The staff was non existent except at the return area. Merchandise would be literally piled up like an ugly jenga tower. The shelves would be half empty and the other half had outdated dusty merchandise.
It was the same way when I was there before. It was a dump. I was surprised that the Kmart in Greenville closed before the one in Rocky Mount was announced. However, I knew once the Greenville Kmart closed, the one in Rocky Mount wouldn't be far behind.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:13 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,236,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EIBeachBum View Post
I do know that Kmart at some point in the past used to be off of Sunset Avenue on Stone Creek Drive (the strip plaza behind the Ford dealership).
Would this be the present day Alorica at 1974 Stone Rose Drive, Rocky Mount, North Carolina 27804-2514?

Old 05-02-2016, 11:43 AM

33 posts, read 51,940 times
Yes that would be the spot where Alorica is now, that road is actually named Stone Rose Dr (I was going off memory on that one).

Last edited by EIBeachBum; 05-02-2016 at 12:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina