Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 02:13 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,418,220 times

Advertisements

We took a ride to Calabash today and looked at the new condos being build at Crow Creek. We’re not in the market at this time but enjoy looking at properties. They’re building several new condo buildings, each with 24 units.
2 BR (~1100 sf),
2 BR + den, (~1400+ sf) interior units only
3 BR (~1300 sf).

They’re pretty nice but in reality, they look like apartment buildings. The units come with quartz counters in kitchen, LVP flooring in main living areas, white kitchen cabinets (not high end).
Amenities are good, Wellness Center with indoor as well as outdoor pool, gym etc as well as another clubhouse with smaller pool. The first building should be ready in a month or so, and the second one next spring. More buildings to follow.

We were told that only about 30% of the units are owner occupied full time. The others are investment rental units or second homes for owners. Not someplace I would be interested in full time but they certainly would make a nice vacation home. This would also be a nice place to rent for a few months while looking at the area or waiting for a home to be built. Online, several had listing prices of about $275K but the actual prices for new units we looked at were approx $315K - $340K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 10:44 PM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beer belly View Post
We looked online at The Hawthorne at Pine Forest, looks great, one year minimum lease, talked to the office and they said they would work with us if they can re rent it if we need to break the lease......risky. We have a camper, and we were even considering a seasonal campsite, just not sure how long I can last living in a box.
you've no idea how many times I've thought about a camper!!

Old 07-22-2022, 03:59 PM

164 posts, read 111,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
you've no idea how many times I've thought about a camper!!
Sometimes I wonder if living full time in an Rv would be a good idea. Just think, if a storm is coming you can pick up and move everything to a safer area, unlike being at the coast during a hurricane or if a snowstorm comes up anywhere, you can just leave for a warmer area. But then I think you lose money as soon as you take possession, no increased resale value like a house or codo. Just don't know where to go anymore or if we should get a condo or downsize to a smaller house. Between the lack of water in some areas, fires, hurricanes, or tornados to worry about, I just can't decide what would be best for us. Not to mention the high cost in some areas. What to decide? It gives me anxiety.

Old 07-22-2022, 10:48 PM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmypets View Post
Sometimes I wonder if living full time in an Rv would be a good idea. Just think, if a storm is coming you can pick up and move everything to a safer area, unlike being at the coast during a hurricane or if a snowstorm comes up anywhere, you can just leave for a warmer area. But then I think you lose money as soon as you take possession, no increased resale value like a house or codo. Just don't know where to go anymore or if we should get a condo or downsize to a smaller house. Between the lack of water in some areas, fires, hurricanes, or tornados to worry about, I just can't decide what would be best for us. Not to mention the high cost in some areas. What to decide? It gives me anxiety.
yes!!

Old 07-24-2022, 05:44 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,374,764 times
We've been camping for 30+years, have all the bells and whistles, most time spent was 7 days, honestly, after day 4 we are ready to head home. I do have friends / relatives who have bought coaches and have been on the road for 4 years or so and are having a blast, not sure I can go that far, plus these coaches are 300k+, and they are on thier second, looking at a replacement next year . We would take our camper south when we move, living in it for months would be last resort.

Old 09-01-2022, 11:44 AM

202 posts, read 186,828 times
We were considering St. James (Southport) right as Covid hit. Now hesitant given things I've heard about the place. Full of snobby NY/NJ folks, very cliquish ("what area of SJP do YOU live in?") and lots of what were called PIP's by a resident (Previously Important People) who have behaved in a way that contributed to the locals now calling it "St. Jersey."

Old 09-01-2022, 03:11 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Cpl View Post
We were considering St. James (Southport) right as Covid hit. Now hesitant given things I've heard about the place......
On major advantage with fall approaching is that you can find condo rentals in St James and try out the area for yourself. You do not have to depend on others' opinions of how snobby the area is, just come and talk to people.

You can rent through the official St James Properties, or the various owner-controlled places like VRBO.com . For example, just saw "monthly rentals October to April", here: https://www.expedia.com/St-James-Hot...el-Information

Old 09-01-2022, 04:59 PM

202 posts, read 186,828 times
We did go down for a weekend like you suggest (rented through STJ office. Nice weekend in general, talked to many people. But also had dinner at an italian spot one night - group of 3 couples sitting next to us - VERY loud and obnoxious. I knew by their accent - New Yawkers.

Old 09-01-2022, 07:46 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
We did go down for a weekend like you suggest (rented through STJ office. Nice weekend in general, talked to many people. But also had dinner at an italian spot one night - group of 3 couples sitting next to us - VERY loud and obnoxious. I knew by their accent - New Yawkers.
Good to know you visited. There are many other nice developments besides St James. If you are golfers, I suggest looking at Ocean Ridge Plantation, Brunswick Forest, Crow Creek and Brunswick Plantation.

Old 09-02-2022, 05:58 AM

919 posts, read 744,550 times
Quote:
We were considering St. James (Southport) right as Covid hit. Now hesitant given things I've heard about the place. Full of snobby NY/NJ folks, very cliquish ("what area of SJP do YOU live in?") and lots of what were called PIP's by a resident (Previously Important People) who have behaved in a way that contributed to the locals now calling it "St. Jersey."
All very true. Have you considered Southport? Very different and much better vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina