Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2015, 03:40 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,886,808 times

Advertisements

I have found a book titled, United States Stamp Album, Completely Illustrated, 1943 Copyright, from Stamp and Album Co. of America, Inc., Five Union Square, New York City.

Most of the pages are blank but some are full of stamps pasted onto the appropriate named stamp.

I was wondering if anybody knows how I might find more information about this album and the possible value, if any, of the stamps in the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 03:51 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,699,568 times
Excuse the obvious suggestions, but have you started by simply doing an internet search for any stamp-collector/philatelic:
1.dealers
2.clubs
3.MeetUp groups

right there in your own city?

Old 06-09-2015, 05:21 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,893,814 times
Value is affected by condition of the stamps, whether they are mint/used, how they have been mounted, whether any of them are errors, rarity of the stamp(s), etc.

From my experience, you'll find the stamps are practically worthless. I have a large collection of mint US stamps and plate blocks going back to the early 1900's. I was offered 75% face value for the collection (except for a few rare and printing error stamps). That's like someone offering to purchase dollar bills for 75¢ apiece. Heck, I can use them for postage.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Excuse the obvious suggestions, but have you started by simply doing an internet search for any stamp-collector/philatelic:
1.dealers
2.clubs
3.MeetUp groups

right there in your own city?

There just doesn't seem to be many dealers, clubs, and MeetUp groups in my rural West Virginia community.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Value is affected by condition of the stamps, whether they are mint/used, how they have been mounted, whether any of them are errors, rarity of the stamp(s), etc.

From my experience, you'll find the stamps are practically worthless. I have a large collection of mint US stamps and plate blocks going back to the early 1900's. I was offered 75% face value for the collection (except for a few rare and printing error stamps). That's like someone offering to purchase dollar bills for 75¢ apiece. Heck, I can use them for postage.
Thank you for the input. I believe all the stamps in the book having actually been used and most have a cancellation stamp on them.

Maybe I will try Ebay and just see what happens.

Old 08-26-2015, 11:16 AM

17,608 posts, read 13,397,782 times
I didn't know that anyone still collected stamps. I haven't added a stamp to my collection since the 50s when it was valued at many thousand dollars.

Last year I saw a friend who used to be a dealer and he said now worth several 100 dollars. He also said to break up the plate blocks and use them as postage stamps today.

Old 09-04-2018, 08:26 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,085,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post

If they're U.S. stamps, and with cancellation marks, theyre probably worth almost nothing, unless they're of very high denomination, or if they're over 100 years old.

Commemorative stamps in mint condition can sometimes be marketed creatively, even though buyers would normally pay you less than face value. For instance, you can combine several stamps about the same subject - such as Civil War - Flowers - Birds - Animals - famous Scientists - famous Musicians - famous Actors - famous Women - Astronauts - etc. - and mount them together on a mat cardboard frame. Offer the set for sale in a museum gift shop - or a flea market - or antiques mall for $ 10 or whatever, and occasionally someone may buy it.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:07 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,970,081 times
Most Stamps from the 1930's on are worthless. And as someone else stated unless they are old they have little value mostly. That's an even trickier market because of all the subtle variance's in identification of particular stamp. Much harder to identify than coins.
Also foreign stamps do have value. Again, older equals better but not necessarily value.

I have some stamps I would like to sell, and I think almost all the value is in just a couple of them.....anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques