Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2016, 11:48 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,510,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I like them too, oh course. I started with them as far as my serious collecting goes because they are pretty obtainable and I want a complete set of all dates and mint marks.

Morgans are beautiful. I thought about collecting those (and I still might). I'd have to learn to accept that I'd never collect them all though.

Love the coins and the history of that time. Right now I'm in the Market for a 1934-S because I need one (last key one I need) and I have some Christmas gift money. I think up to AU50 is the most I can afford. Once I complete the Peace set I'm turning to my favorites, Walkers. That will be a bit harder for me but it will be fun collecting them.

Over the years I have bought many rolls of Walkers at (or, more recently, near) junk silver prices and all but about a dozen dates can be found this way, and even EF/AU later dates can be found. Only 1916PDS, 1917D (obv), 1919DS, 1921PDS, 1938D have eluded me.

Currently, circ Walker rolls are selling about 20% above melt value, which is more than I like to see, but not an astronomical price.

Standing Liberty Quarters are an underappreciated series, perhaps because the series run was so short (15 years), mintages were fairly low, and fewer were saved in high grades. Boatloads of Morgans, Walkers, Mercurys are available, in quantity. SLQ rolls are much harder to find, especially will full dates and/or above VG.
Attached Thumbnails
Any coin collectors or know any coin collectors?-inv01_r.jpg   Any coin collectors or know any coin collectors?-inv01_o.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2017, 03:57 PM

26,439 posts, read 46,690,461 times
I have an extensive coin collection, mainly US coins from the early to mid 20th century with some from the 19th century. I got started quite young at seven years old and inherited many of my relatives collections as well when they passed on. My favorites are the Saint-Gaudens Double Eagle, Morgan Silver Dollar, Walking Liberty Half Dollar, and Buffalo Nickel. I also have a sizable amount of 1964 silver coins from previous hoarding that my relatives did at the time of the clad coinage changeover in circulation.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:22 PM

15,948 posts, read 12,320,280 times
Numismatic coin collecting is something my father got me into that I was into for a while, stopped, went back and did it again for a year or three, and haven't been doing it for a number of years now. Anyone collect coins? Here's my largest collection that I have listed anywhere including pictures. I have a particular affinity for barber coinage, with a nice grey tarnish to it, in XF or so condition.

PCGS Set Registry - Derrick's Barber Quarters

Honestly I don't see myself purchasing any more numismatic related coins due to chinese counterfeiting.. just keeping what I have or selling it maybe...

Old 01-15-2017, 07:52 PM

26,439 posts, read 46,690,461 times
You can easily get permission to metal detect at old school buildings or other old structures, and I've found a good amount of silver coins. A fun way to pass a few weekends a year and get some exercise too. I'm not collecting as much anymore, haven't found the time to do it as much as I did in the past.

Old 01-29-2017, 03:28 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,297,222 times
Have collected for 45 years. For me it is all about history for circulating coins. I am not a bullion guy nor interested in any US mint sales and their special issues (the exception would be older commemoratives).

My favorites: Draped Bust and Capped Bust; Seated Liberty and the coins that resulted from Teddy Roosevelt's push to get great American artists involved (St Gaudens, $5/$2.5 Gold Indian Head; Buffalo Nickel; Standing Liberty Quarter, Walking Liberty Half, Mercury Dime); Also like nicely worn Large Cents.

Great hobby! Enjoy!

Old 02-28-2017, 04:54 PM

262 posts, read 525,170 times
Sandpointian, you live in a great area. We used to live in Loon Lake, Wa. just over the hill west of you. In fact that is where my user name comes from. What era large cents do you like? I collect large cents (mostly early and middle dates) and working on a year date set of half cents

Old 07-07-2018, 10:36 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,092,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have a 1943 nickel with a big 'P' on the tails. What's up with that?
It means it was produced at the Philadelphia Mint (the most common one), as opposed to the Denver or San Francisco Mint. It's worth only face-value or slightly more.

Old 07-14-2018, 03:40 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,297,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loonyrich View Post
Sandpointian, you live in a great area. We used to live in Loon Lake, Wa. just over the hill west of you. In fact that is where my user name comes from. What era large cents do you like? I collect large cents (mostly early and middle dates) and working on a year date set of half cents
sorry for the long delay in responding. Thx, getting more crowded every year .

Loon Lake, Nice! My favorite area lake is Priest.

Large cents: I love Draped Bust coins. I have a nice 1794 (an obv of F but a smooth back with barely any detail. I also like the early coronet/matron heads. finally, one day I'll get a hold of a 1793.

Good for you on half cents. I have an 1804.

S.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:03 PM

14 posts, read 11,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I collect. Focus is mostly world coins; I have a fairly unremarkable US collection but enjoy the world stuff more.
Long time but what world coins you collect? Was going to PM a rare one and get your opinion.

Old 09-12-2018, 08:59 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,973,601 times
Still trying to move a nearly complete no proofs (Sorry there are some earlier proofs from the early 70's and a couple are cameo proofs) uncirculated Jefferson Nickel set with 39 D, 39 S, and 50 D, and about half of the silver war coins, everything is unc. I might even trade for something. Hopefully I am not braking any rules on here......
And I would definitely trade the set for the right unusual world coin(s). Or a mechanical wrist watch (Please no junk).

Last edited by Digger 68; 09-12-2018 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques