Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 12:46 PM

14 posts, read 11,615 times

Advertisements

I collect some valuable early US Dollar coins (Draped Bust series) and I am always looking to see if there are other collectors out there or people who know somebody with old coins/currency.

Post here about it or you can PM me. I already had a guy contact me who had a family member that I bought a large collection from and the person who contacted me got $100 from me for the info. Everybody won in that deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 12:52 AM

3,007 posts, read 6,302,184 times
me! sort of. I have about 10 D.B. coins.

Old 08-09-2017, 01:48 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,533,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecamel2015 View Post
I collect some valuable early US Dollar coins (Draped Bust series) and I am always looking to see if there are other collectors out there or people who know somebody with old coins/currency.

Post here about it or you can PM me. I already had a guy contact me who had a family member that I bought a large collection from and the person who contacted me got $100 from me for the info. Everybody won in that deal.

Oh my. I'd love to collect Bust and Seated dollars but they're a tad out of my price range. Would have loved to have plopped down $1,000 in 1960 for a Treasury bag of dollars and walked out with Seated dollars (instead of common Morgans) - would have changed my life.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:56 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,556,958 times
Man, oh, man, rare coins...when I was a kid we lived between two old, abandoned churches--the one on the right had a very gothic and haunting look to it, shaded by these huge, weird trees with a massive statue of some guy on a horse, which instilled in me a fear of big statues. Anyway, a playmate and I found a few coins in the dirt there, I remember they were the size of quarters and had a nude woman on one side. I gave them to my grandfather, no idea what became of them after that, but I'd love to go back there with a metal detector someday.

I have a few pennies from the 20's, 30's and 40's, but nothing especially valuable.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:07 AM

13,682 posts, read 20,829,155 times
My uncle collects foreign currency. He generally asks friends or family to grab him some wile traveling or surrender their leftovers.

That way, each one "has a story" behind it. Very efficient parameters.

He has been bugging me for my East German Ostmarks for years.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:01 PM

1,915 posts, read 1,487,769 times
I don't know if it counts as "rare" because I think the coins I collect are pretty common to collect (at least in the US). I collect Peace Dollars. It's slow going though, so it's going to take me a while to collect them all. I'm trying to get one from every year, from every mint. I'm focusing on common dates first, because, to be blunt, I only started collecting recently and I'm still learning.

I might collect Walking Liberty half dollars, Mercury dimes, or Morgans (I love the design of all three coins) after that, but I don't think I will ever be able to own one of each Morgan. My dad collected Morgans, but sold a lot of his many years ago: mainly his key date coins. But there is a lot left. His collection also has other silver US Coins, some proofs, and some silver Canadian coins and one small gold Mexican 2 and a half peso coin (I think it's actually bullion, dated 1945). I inherited his coins when he died (mom gave them to me along with his stamp collection).

I really only know about Peace dollars though since that's my focus. I picked them because I knew I could afford to collect them all, even the key dates are within reach, and it seemed like a good starter collection.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
I don't know if it counts as "rare" because I think the coins I collect are pretty common to collect (at least in the US). I collect Peace Dollars. It's slow going though, so it's going to take me a while to collect them all. I'm trying to get one from every year, from every mint. I'm focusing on common dates first, because, to be blunt, I only started collecting recently and I'm still learning.

I might collect Walking Liberty half dollars, Mercury dimes, or Morgans (I love the design of all three coins) after that, but I don't think I will ever be able to own one of each Morgan. My dad collected Morgans, but sold a lot of his many years ago: mainly his key date coins. But there is a lot left. His collection also has other silver US Coins, some proofs, and some silver Canadian coins and one small gold Mexican 2 and a half peso coin (I think it's actually bullion, dated 1945). I inherited his coins when he died (mom gave them to me along with his stamp collection).

I really only know about Peace dollars though since that's my focus. I picked them because I knew I could afford to collect them all, even the key dates are within reach, and it seemed like a good starter collection.

1922 and 1923 Peace Dollars are pretty common, so they are the easiest. It's the late dates that are hard; I've never had any later than 1926.

Many Morgans are semi-common in low grades and rare (expensive!) in higher grades. The 1895 is a major stopper for collectors, as the only ones available today are the small number of Proof coins (880) produced that year.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:17 AM

15,835 posts, read 20,635,638 times
I prefer silver washingtons. I haven't been an active collector lately (too many hobbies) but when I get back into it, I really need to upgrade my collections '32-S and '32-D washingtons.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I prefer silver washingtons. I haven't been an active collector lately (too many hobbies) but when I get back into it, I really need to upgrade my collections '32-S and '32-D washingtons.

I got my 1932-S off the kitchen table on a Saturday morning when my aunt went shopping and left two quarters on the table for me to give to the paperboy when he came to collect. One of the quarters was tails-up and I just HAD to check out what was on the other side of that tantalizing "S". I pocketed the 1932-S and replaced it with some common-date quarter worth face value.

Must have been pilfered by some kid from daddy's coin collection.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:54 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,302,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I got my 1932-S off the kitchen table on a Saturday morning when my aunt went shopping and left two quarters on the table for me to give to the paperboy when he came to collect. One of the quarters was tails-up and I just HAD to check out what was on the other side of that tantalizing "S". I pocketed the 1932-S and replaced it with some common-date quarter worth face value.

Must have been pilfered by some kid from daddy's coin collection.
cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques