Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 08:06 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,278,007 times

Advertisements

A postcard (postmarked May 4, 1939) showing the Goodyear blimp flying over Waterfront Park baseball field in St. Petersburg, Florida (painting, not photograph).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 08:46 AM

5,444 posts, read 7,013,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
A postcard (postmarked May 4, 1939) showing the Goodyear blimp flying over Waterfront Park baseball field in St. Petersburg, Florida (painting, not photograph).
Do you try and find postcards that have been actually used? My wife and I have picked up a few in the past and it is always fun to read what people wrote about 100 years ago. We have one that actually is a husband writing to his girlfriend about his wife. lol This one is postmarked from the 1920s I believe.

Old 08-08-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Do you try and find postcards that have been actually used? My wife and I have picked up a few in the past and it is always fun to read what people wrote about 100 years ago. We have one that actually is a husband writing to his girlfriend about his wife. lol This one is postmarked from the 1920s I believe.

I don't collect postcards in particular. I had asked the store owner if they had anything that was blimp or airship related, and that postcard was what they were able to come up with. The only other postcard that I've bought was a "Florida" card with a photo of Bettie Page.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:57 AM
miu miu started this thread

17,771 posts, read 40,224,535 times
Worked an event yesterday afternoon that was south of Boston, MA. Had two hours to kill, so went antique picking at a shop about 15 miles away. Found a very reasonably priced Georg Jensen silver serving piece. The dealer didn't recognize the marks or the flatware pattern. I recognized the workmanship and didn't need to see the marks.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:35 PM

5,444 posts, read 7,013,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Worked an event yesterday afternoon that was south of Boston, MA. Had two hours to kill, so went antique picking at a shop about 15 miles away. Found a very reasonably priced Georg Jensen silver serving piece. The dealer didn't recognize the marks or the flatware pattern. I recognized the workmanship and didn't need to see the marks.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I always love talking about the stuff people find.

My wife and I went to a few stores this past Saturday and I picked up two old railroad lenses (one red and one cobalt blue) for 10 bucks. These are odd because they are 7 1/2" in diameter when generally these lens are 4" in diameter. I'm going to try and make a wooden lantern with them so we'll see what happens.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks for resurrecting this thread. I always love talking about the stuff people find.

My wife and I went to a few stores this past Saturday and I picked up two old railroad lenses (one red and one cobalt blue) for 10 bucks. These are odd because they are 7 1/2" in diameter when generally these lens are 4" in diameter. I'm going to try and make a wooden lantern with them so we'll see what happens.
I have a blue lens that size. I think that lenses that size came from signals rather than from lanterns.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:

You're welcome.

Our house came with an antique railroad crossing signal. Old railroad stuff is very cool.

Today, I went for a job interview in southern MA, near the RI border. Afterwards, I went antiquing. At one shop, I bought a small Royal Doulton bulldog puppy figure for $22, two antique plates with puppies on them from a doll's china tea service. They are the size of butter pats and were only $4 each. And as I was leaving, I noticed a glass dish with a bird on it that is signed Lalique for $25.

Then at a second shop, I bought some old plates marked US Army Medical Service. Also, a small square dish that was Versace china for $7. I think that I can sell it on eBay for $75.

Old 05-22-2018, 11:00 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,768,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
You're welcome.

Our house came with an antique railroad crossing signal. Old railroad stuff is very cool.

Today, I went for a job interview in southern MA, near the RI border. Afterwards, I went antiquing. At one shop, I bought a small Royal Doulton bulldog puppy figure for $22, two antique plates with puppies on them from a doll's china tea service. They are the size of butter pats and were only $4 each. And as I was leaving, I noticed a glass dish with a bird on it that is signed Lalique for $25.

Then at a second shop, I bought some old plates marked US Army Medical Service. Also, a small square dish that was Versace china for $7. I think that I can sell it on eBay for $75.
You found Lalique? Very nice find.

Royal Doulton has fallen so far in value that I'm stuck with my late aunt's figurines. I used to hate them but she adored them and would auction them off to pay for her trips. Cruise to Bermuda? Just a minute--have to sell a few of my Royal Doultons, lol. If they ever come back in style, I'm all set.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:10 AM

I collect the Royal Doulton animals. I'm not a fan of the ladies or the tobey jugs. And the animals have to have some age to them. The newer ones aren't decorated as well.

I forgot, I also bought a Carlsbad porcelain paperweight with a transferware US flag on it. I thought that my husband might like it. It was only $10. The flag has only 45 stars in the blue field, which should date the piece to around 1896-1908.

Old 06-14-2018, 06:50 PM

1,923 posts, read 84,311 times
An Art Deco Bar Gorgeous for 75.00 dollars from a antique shop going out of business, My wife loved it and it fit perfect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques