Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2018, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 636 times

Advertisements

I have quite a few collectibles they I can't find any info on the net about. How could I get an idea on what things like this are worth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2018, 11:24 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
Speaking as someone who spent four hours yesterday wrapping Hummels and other small figurines in newspaper before packing them in boxes to move from my Aunt's home to mine, if you can't find any information on the WWW for them, how collectable can they be?

Look closely at their bases with a magnifying glass for identifying marks, and if none exist, start looking elsewhere on them, maybe even inside if they are hollow and have a hole in the base. If no luck, maybe describe them on an online search, or take them to a dealer who specializes in this type of stuff. If they are more than thirty or forty years old (or older), maybe try an antiques dealer, or posting a photo of some representative samples on this forum may help you get them identified. Are you looking to sell them, or just grade them for insurance purposes? I plan to do this myself once my Aunt's are safeguarded, and I'm going to look for books to help me in the task. If they are truly collectable, someone has written a buyer's guide on them.

Good Luck!

Old 10-17-2018, 07:53 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
Of course anything can sell but the market has tanked on this kind of stuff. Yeah some are desirable, but many times with this kind of stuff it's larger sizes and rare varieties.
I constantly see Hummels in thrifts. And they are always smaller sizes.
LLadro is something I look for. Again, larger sizes. I had a sad clown LLadro and the women who bought it loved it.
Toby Jugs are another oddball that can do well.
A lot of this stuff has more popularity in Europe, and Asia. Compared to those places the market is drastically reduced in the U.S.

Speaking of figures it wasn't a figure, it was a large porcelain Parrot, and one of it's wings was broken off. Probably a $60 piece although the makers name escapes me at the moment. Saw it in the thrift store today. It looked like it was damaged in the back. Although some dope could have dropped it in the store.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:49 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
I'd talk to someone who deals in them. An antiques dealer. However they might not know anything about it, either. Where was the item made? (What country?)

Ebay is a poor predictor of something's value. Many people who list things on Ebay simply list the highest possible price they can believe they can get. Often the listings remain for weeks, months or years and nobody bids on them.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:52 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,376,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
LLadro is something I look for. Again, larger sizes. I had a sad clown LLadro and the women who bought it loved it. :
You've seen Lladro in thrift stores?

I used to be into Lladro but it was so expensive to buy them new. I have about 3 or 4 of them. I may sell them at some point, I'm not sure. I am slowly getting rid of things I don't need or use anymore. I wouldn't sell it online, only person to person. Such as Craigslist.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:04 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,963,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
You've seen Lladro in thrift stores?

I used to be into Lladro but it was so expensive to buy them new. I have about 3 or 4 of them. I may sell them at some point, I'm not sure. I am slowly getting rid of things I don't need or use anymore. I wouldn't sell it online, only person to person. Such as Craigslist.
Not only have I seen it, over ten years ago when I was a total newbie I passed on it. Just picked it up, looked, and moved on.

What got me into this was my quest for Stereo Equipment, and Records. Everything including getting back into cycling was secondary over the first two.

Old 10-19-2018, 08:58 AM

12,105 posts, read 23,271,144 times
You need to know the maker, and then go from there. The market on a lot of this stuff tanked years ago, giving it marginal value. Go to a good library and look for books on collectibles.

Old 10-19-2018, 03:08 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,667,075 times
If you want to check ebay, you need to just look at Completeds. Don't bother looking at what's listed that hasn't sold. Just Completeds or even Solds. In Solds, you can get an idea of the ratio of what was listed to what actually sold.

Books often give an inflated price. After all, they want people to think things are valuable and then buy their book.But books will give you good pictures and descriptions and some idea of price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques