Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2020, 09:13 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,237,606 times

Advertisements

So we just sold $400.00 worth of books. We insured it for $400. The buyer received it all smashed us. Ok he gets his money back. But we are out of product and the money it cost to buy it in the first place, and of course the money to replace it. I will have to check with the post office, but I feel like I should have insured it for more than the sell price. The buyer is covered but not us, the sellers. Anyone have an idea?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2020, 09:14 PM

42,879 posts, read 26,438,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayekaye View Post
So we just sold $400.00 worth of books. We insured it for $400. The buyer received it all smashed us. Ok he gets his money back. But we are out of product and the money it cost to buy it in the first place, and of course the money to replace it. I will have to check with the post office, but I feel like I should have insured it for more than the sell price. The buyer is covered but not us, the sellers. Anyone have an idea?
He gets his money back from the insurance, you still have the money he paid you, or you should.

Old 10-15-2020, 08:08 AM

4,096 posts, read 6,237,606 times
Duh. Ok late night question after a long day. Never happened before. Thanks!

Old 10-15-2020, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Duh. Ok late night question after a long day. Never happened before. Thanks!
It's ok, I have moments like that, my husband usually catches me in time and reminds me not to 'over think' everything

Old 10-16-2020, 02:21 AM

3,251 posts, read 6,324,300 times
Quote:
https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm

"The person filing must have the original mailing receipt."

I guess that would be the seller who has the original mailing receipt. The buyer should save the product and the damaged packaging if needed until the claim is complete.

Old 10-16-2020, 08:03 AM

2,333 posts, read 1,978,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
https://www.usps.com/help/claims.htm

"The person filing must have the original mailing receipt."

I guess that would be the seller who has the original mailing receipt. The buyer should save the product and the damaged packaging if needed until the claim is complete.
The buyer has to make the claim. The buyer can demand their money back. Postal Insurance is one of the biggest rackets going. You need the tracking number.

If the buyer want's to be difficult the seller could be screwed.

One thing, how many books were smashed? I would only ship a few books at a time.

And is this an Amazon, or Ebay transaction? And is Amazon, or Ebay shipping it, or is the OP?

I have never needed it, although I have used it on high dollar items.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:38 AM

945 posts, read 400,060 times
I'd be careful with the USPS......not sure, but thinking their insurance only covers lost items and not damaged items. They'll blame the shipper for not packing properly on damaged items.

Old 10-17-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kroadking View Post
I'd be careful with the USPS......not sure, but thinking their insurance only covers lost items and not damaged items. They'll blame the shipper for not packing properly on damaged items.
USPS insurance covers both loss and damage

Old 10-17-2020, 08:15 AM

945 posts, read 400,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
USPS insurance covers both loss and damage
You're right....... my mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques