Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2022, 05:47 AM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times

Advertisements

Fake collector coins are being sold on ebay by some otherwise reputable sellers. I bought a 2022 American Silver Eagle from a coin dealer who has been on ebay since 1997 and it was an obvious (to me) fake. The date had a strange font and it had a mirror surface although it wasn’t a proof coin. I messaged the seller and he said he “just found out” he was selling fakes and said he was “snookered” by someone. He didn’t message me though before I contacted him and he sold 100 of these fakes. Now I am seeing near-uncirculated Seated Liberty dollars that are not certified and being sold for prices much lower than if they were certified. China seems to have gotten good at producing fakes that look close enough to the real coins that people buy them.

I returned the fake ASE and he made me wait until the fake was back in his hands before giving me a refund. I left negative feedback about him selling fakes and he had it removed within three minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2022, 09:46 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
loads of fake everything on ebay; Let the buyer beware.

I've gotten a number of fake pieces of "semi precious" jewelry, where the stones are warm to the touch.
I assumed they were fakes when I ordered because the price was so low, but some of them are remarkably nice.

My all-time favorite ebay fake were the "rainbow orchid" seeds. The picture showed a chrysanthemum that had been photoshopped with rainbow colors. Also, you can't just buy orchid seeds and expect them to sprout, they need special fungus and are generally grown in glass flasks (except in the wild, naturally).

Good thing you knew your coins, so could spot the fake.

Old 09-15-2022, 02:08 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
loads of fake everything on ebay; Let the buyer beware.

I've gotten a number of fake pieces of "semi precious" jewelry, where the stones are warm to the touch.
I assumed they were fakes when I ordered because the price was so low, but some of them are remarkably nice.

My all-time favorite ebay fake were the "rainbow orchid" seeds. The picture showed a chrysanthemum that had been photoshopped with rainbow colors. Also, you can't just buy orchid seeds and expect them to sprout, they need special fungus and are generally grown in glass flasks (except in the wild, naturally).

Good thing you knew your coins, so could spot the fake.

Fake coins, fake video cards, fake CPUs, fake USB drives, fake clothing, fake handbags...

I mean, you're going down to the town yard sale, just online..

News flash.. Stuff on wish.com or alibaba.com is often fake as well.

Old 09-15-2022, 02:43 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
if an item is not as described,go to My Ebay and find the order,file a dispute of item not as described,seller will be given 3 days to respond,or Ebay will send you a return shipping label.
After tracking shows delivered,your payment wll be refunded .
Ebay will also debit the seller bank account for the return shipping label.

Old 03-25-2023, 03:20 PM

4,195 posts, read 4,077,595 times
Bumping my thread because I see the seller who sold fake Silver Eagles is selling them again as “silver plated copies” for $10. He says they are not real several times in his listing but it is my understanding that replica coins have to be stamped “Copy” to be legally sold, which these are not. I think he knew they were fake when he sold them as real and only refunded people who identified them as fake and complained. I don’t see an option to report the listing to ebay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques