Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 09:15 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,603,730 times

Advertisements

I hope this is the right forum for this.

I have antique family jewelry that, though I'm fond of it, is mostly sitting unused, in either a bank vault or in other safe places.
And I could use some extra cash.

My jewelry has been appraised, by a jeweler with 40 years' experience, with a total retail value for 33 pieces, for a total of something over $60,000. I would certainly hope to get more than a quarter of the figure, maybe a third? Is that a reasonable expectation? The appraisal was done this past spring.

Is now a terrible or feasible time to sell?

One acquaintance, whose daughter sold her jewelry, advised me to sell the jewelry piece by piece rather than altogether. Do you think that is an advisable strategy or not to get the best value?

I would not be putting these on Ebay. I would want to take them to known places of business/antique dealers/etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2023, 06:49 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Unless you are desperate for money, piece by piece with a reputable high end jewelry auctioneer.

Old 10-27-2023, 10:28 AM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
I have seen jewelry stores that sell Estate Jewelry. Not chain store jewelers but small independent jewelers. I would try to find a jewelry store. I have never seen an antique store that displays jewelry well. Doesn't mean they don't exist. I think you will have to make some calls to places in your area.

Old 10-27-2023, 11:20 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
If you know what each piece is, you could sell on Ruby Lane. Prices appear to be balanced between good for seller and good for buyer. I've bought several pieces there and they seem to be reputable. You wouldn't be giving the stuff away. Actual appraisals would help the price to guarantee the stones are what has been claimed.

Old 10-27-2023, 04:12 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
well, gold has approached 5-year highs.
might actually be a really good time.

Old 10-27-2023, 05:23 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Unless you are desperate for money, I would not sell jewelry that's been in the family for considerable time. This "if you don't use it regularly, get rid of it!" idea does not appeal to me. That's just me though.

Old 10-27-2023, 07:26 PM

6,849 posts, read 4,847,655 times
I am guessing that you do not have any family to give it to? I'd say start with selling your least favorite pieces. What area are you in if you don't mind saying?

Old 10-27-2023, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I am guessing that you do not have any family to give it to? I'd say start with selling your least favorite pieces. What area are you in if you don't mind saying?

I have already given some of the pieces to the youngest generation of one branch (the ones I actually know) of my family.

I live in New England.

Old 10-27-2023, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
If you know what each piece is, you could sell on Ruby Lane. Prices appear to be balanced between good for seller and good for buyer. I've bought several pieces there and they seem to be reputable. You wouldn't be giving the stuff away. Actual appraisals would help the price to guarantee the stones are what has been claimed.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not comfortable with selling things online, despite having bought things on ebay, etc. I admit to being something of an old fogey.

Old 10-28-2023, 05:18 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Unless you are desperate for money, I would not sell jewelry that's been in the family for considerable time. This "if you don't use it regularly, get rid of it!" idea does not appeal to me. That's just me though.

I agree, selling family jewelry isn't something I could do. I would rather find more family that is interested in it to either give to or sell it to them. They may be more then happy to give the OP money if it's reasonable.

I have not had luck selling jewelry the few times I've needed the money. Usually they will weigh it, pay you for the gold value which may not be much. I've tried both jewelry stores and pawn shop type businesses to see if I'd do better with one or the other. They both seem to pay the same from what I've seen. I've never been offered anything close to what the jewelry appraised for. I'm curious how someone would find a place that will do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, but I am not comfortable with selling things online, despite having bought things on ebay, etc. I admit to being something of an old fogey.

Do some googling to see if there is an estate sale business near by or within a realistic driving distance that may be interested in selling it for you.

I don't blame you that you don't want to sell online; you may end up getting scammed by someone that decides they don't want what you sent them, the piece comes back with fake stones added to it.

I know there are reputable places that will sell it for you online, I would be researching them before I considered myself desperate to use them.

Last year I googled something, I ended up at a wedding related message board where people posted for help to buy an engagement and wedding ring. I wish I could remember the site, there were a lot of links to online jewelry stores that did buy old jewelry. They seemed legit, those that had bought and sold with them were happy with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques