Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2024, 11:21 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,006,959 times

Advertisements

Hello...

(Please note: I don't know how to embed pics into my post, so I created a "Basket" album on my Profile with pics.)

I picked up a basket second hand. This thing is... what is it made for, meaning its original purpose? Is it normally used for yarn & knitting needles? I could almost swear I've seen 90-yr old grandmas have these sorts of items for yarn when I was a tiny kid.

Or, is it normally used for plants? Or, just decoration with nothing in it? I liked it cuz it kind of reminded me of a Victorian birdcage. I could use it for silk flowers or to hold soap/bath products, but I was wondering about the original purpose of this kind of item & if there's a name for it.

I'll keep it indoors as I live in the FL panhandle now where it rains a lot & winds get high so I don't want to keep bringing it inside from the patio or have it blown away.

Also, one of the pics is a closeup of the inside of one of the doors. It has small white dots on it. I haven't put any effort into cleaning it yet... it was covered in cobwebs as if it were kept in someone's cellar so all I did was wash it off under hot shower water for a moment to remove dirt & cobwebs. It was pretty dirty. I don't know if I should use a spray cleaner on it or just scrub it with dish soap & a sponge... I'm assuming the white dots are mildew? If so, I guess it needs to be sprayed with vinegar & water & scrubbed? My delay is I didn't want to rust the metal pieces on it.

TY, kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2024, 12:48 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
There is one just like it on ebay that does call it a sewing basket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166637244838

Old 04-18-2024, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is one just like it on ebay that does call it a sewing basket.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166637244838
Wow, Suzy, TY. That's a pretty penny they're asking for that basket, but it is very new.

TY for looking it up for me. Now I'll search for how to clean the wicker of (I guess) mildew.

Oh, BTW, how did you look it up? Via Google pic or by description?

Old 04-18-2024, 06:14 AM

7,106 posts, read 4,828,236 times
No advice for you, just wanted to say what a cool find! Such an interesting basket! Hope you can post pics once you’ve got it totally cleaned up.
The ebay one that Suzy post looks varnished.
Very cool.

Old 04-18-2024, 11:09 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Wow, Suzy, TY. That's a pretty penny they're asking for that basket, but it is very new.

TY for looking it up for me. Now I'll search for how to clean the wicker of (I guess) mildew.

Oh, BTW, how did you look it up? Via Google pic or by description?
Google pic.

Old 04-18-2024, 11:39 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I would say that is a sewing basket. For keeping sewing notions, yarn, embroidery thread all in one place. It's a beautiful basket.

Old 04-19-2024, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
No advice for you, just wanted to say what a cool find! Such an interesting basket! Hope you can post pics once you’ve got it totally cleaned up.
The ebay one that Suzy post looks varnished.
Very cool.
TY, Pug. I was thinking I might do something similar once I get it thoroughly cleaned... or wax it & use metal paint to "refurbish" it? I'll take my time to research what most folks do with these kinds of items. It is cool... haven't seen one since I was a little kid. It's nice & sturdy like most things were way back when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Google pic.
TYVM! I'll remember that for next time & do it myself before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I would say that is a sewing basket. For keeping sewing notions, yarn, embroidery thread all in one place. It's a beautiful basket.
TY, yes, that's what Suzy found.

I'm unsure what I'll use it for. I've got some sewing thread but not enough to fill the basket.

I'd like to use it to display something, other than just being an empty basket.

Old 04-19-2024, 05:11 AM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Here are some cleaning ideas.
https://www.patioproductions.com/blo...tio-furniture/

I am not sure if those are mildew spots. Could be some spray paint spots.

Old 04-19-2024, 06:23 AM

6,562 posts, read 8,398,266 times
I'm surprised that it's advertised as a sewing basket. It seems like small sewing items - spools of thread, etc. would fall through the openings at the bottom.

Maybe it's better suited for crocheting or knitting supplies since those are larger items? Or magazines & newspapers?

Old 04-19-2024, 11:38 AM

6,825 posts, read 10,525,326 times
We had something similar at my house growing up and it was used as a newspaper/magazine rack. I suppose it is whatever you want it to be! The yarn thing makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques