Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2011, 09:43 PM

442 posts, read 1,297,110 times

Advertisements

does anyone have any tips for taking a full time load with a job that demands varying hours? i have weekends off but my week days are undpredictable hours. I live in nyc obviously and was just wondering where anyone goes to school. I dont much like all online classes but understand it could be necessary. Thanks for any input Im just getting into this college thing. Im 25 and no family for consideration
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 PM

41 posts, read 153,286 times
What kind of studies are you going for? Morning/noon/evening classes? Will your bosss understand, "I can't come in, I have class" or "I gotta go, I have class"...etc?

It sounds like you plan to take a full load of on ground classes sitting in the classroom while still working without working on weekends. One committment will have to be in morning and the other in evening and night probably.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:52 AM

13 posts, read 76,411 times
I work full time in IT and go to college full time online (12 credits a semester) and its not that bad, just make sure that you manage your time and I actually get a lot of classwork done during lunch .

Old 02-28-2011, 01:29 PM

41 posts, read 153,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster78 View Post
I work full time in IT and go to college full time online (12 credits a semester) and its not that bad, just make sure that you manage your time and I actually get a lot of classwork done during lunch .
With online classes its totally possible, but if the OP doesn't like online classes before he's even taken one, then that might not work.

I just can't understand how someone would work fulltime (mon-fri)and have a monday-friday fulltime class load too. I'd be curious to see their actual weekly schedule.

Old 02-28-2011, 02:19 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
I did grad school full time while working full time. My work hours, though 40+ hours a week, were flexible, so that I could schedule around classes. My employer was fine with this, as long as my work got done and my clients were attended to.

I'd go to class one morning, then got to work and work late, or I'd go to work, leave, got to class, then return to work.

This meant that most days I worked at least till 7pm, maybe 8 or 9 some nights.

Also, during those two years, I did not go out socially very much, just happy hour a few fridays a month with co-workers to keep my sanity. Every weekend was taken up with studying and writing papers. This was in my mid-late 20s, when I had more energy and less need to sleep. I don't think I'd do it today, as I seem to need my 8 hours a night.

The choice was get the Masters in 2 years full time, or 4 years part time. I decided I'd rather have two years of exhaustion with no social life, vs. 4 years. Several of my friends at the time were doing school part time, and work fullt time, and they seemed just as overloaded as I did, so for me going full time and getting it done faster made sense.

You just need to be really good at organizing your time and tasks, and self-disciplined enough to not procrastinate on things.

I can also proudly say that during those 2 years I took no sick time at all!

Old 02-28-2011, 03:55 PM

917 posts, read 2,948,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I did grad school full time while working full time. My work hours, though 40+ hours a week, were flexible, so that I could schedule around classes. My employer was fine with this, as long as my work got done and my clients were attended to.

I'd go to class one morning, then got to work and work late, or I'd go to work, leave, got to class, then return to work.

This meant that most days I worked at least till 7pm, maybe 8 or 9 some nights.

Also, during those two years, I did not go out socially very much, just happy hour a few fridays a month with co-workers to keep my sanity. Every weekend was taken up with studying and writing papers. This was in my mid-late 20s, when I had more energy and less need to sleep. I don't think I'd do it today, as I seem to need my 8 hours a night.

The choice was get the Masters in 2 years full time, or 4 years part time. I decided I'd rather have two years of exhaustion with no social life, vs. 4 years. Several of my friends at the time were doing school part time, and work fullt time, and they seemed just as overloaded as I did, so for me going full time and getting it done faster made sense.

You just need to be really good at organizing your time and tasks, and self-disciplined enough to not procrastinate on things.

I can also proudly say that during those 2 years I took no sick time at all!
Yup, this is what I'm doing for the most part. The only difference is that I have a part time job that guarantees 20 hours a week and I freelance another 20-30 hours a week. It's tough and my social life has suffered a bit, but I'm in better shape financially. Since I'm going into a field where the pay is low, I figure I'll be in better shape than my classmates who are taking out loans to pay for the whole thing.

Old 02-28-2011, 04:27 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
My wife worked full time evening 3-11pm and attended mornng class theu 100 pm to get her college degree.Between that and studyshe gave up four years except o weekends which she said was pretty easy really. She said it actaully helped learn to organize her time which paid off later .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities