Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 10:52 PM

47 posts, read 346,430 times

Advertisements

I've been wanting to go back to school for a while. I am finally going to start next semester. I've thought about Physical Therapy for a long time now. But I've heard you can either get your associate's in the field (Physical Therapist Assistant) or you get your doctorate's. It does not seem like there is much opportunity for growth within the two year option. It also seems like you could get sick of it pretty fast.

I've also thought about becoming a Massage Therapist. I could go to school for a year, and come out with a career I could fall back on and do in my spare time. But Massage Therapy school here is very expensive. I would have huge debt, without even starting on my degree or anything. I'm not even sure I would like it, I could really regret it. It would be my fall back thing, so I wouldn't have to work crappy job after crappy job.

I've heard a lot about Ultrasound and Radiology people making a lot of money and there being a lot of jobs in this field. I can kind of see myself doing it. But I've heard about radiology causing cancer and I don't want to get cancer or well.. contribute to someone else's cancer, if that makes any sense. (They need better cancer research!).

If there is anyone out there in any of these fields, could you please tell me a little about your experiences; the pluses' (sp?) and minuses? What would you recommend? Any help you can give me, I would greatly appreciate.

P.S - Nursing is not an option.

Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 PM

157 posts, read 624,025 times
I am a certified massage therapist since 1994. I was working as a physical therapy aide full time and attended a massage therapy school at night. It was expensive but has paid for itself again and again. I was able to use it while working for physical therapists, chiropractors and then went on to open my own business. It is a physically demanding profession...you do learn the tricks of the trade in school but it is also very rewarding and there are many options or directions you can go with this training. I loved working in physical therapy-absolutely my most favorite of all the jobs I have ever held. I was also trained to do ultrasound while employed by physical therapists. I wanted to get into a PT program 10 years ago but the cost and competition just to get in plus having to relocate put a damper on things. I went back to school and majored in Psych instead. Sometimes I look back and wish I would have just gone for it but... if you have any more question feel free to reply I can give you more details.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:25 PM

105 posts, read 400,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mw555...5 View Post
I've heard a lot about Ultrasound and Radiology people making a lot of money and there being a lot of jobs in this field. I can kind of see myself doing it. But I've heard about radiology causing cancer and I don't want to get cancer or well.. contribute to someone else's cancer, if that makes any sense. (They need better cancer research!).
I work in radiology and yes there are TONS of options. You get through a 2 year associates degree program and then you can certify by doing additional schooling in loads of other modalities. MRI, Ultrasound, Nuc Med, Radiation Therapy....and you can usually get time and experience in CT or Cath Lab then after doing enough exams you can test for your registry in those modalities without going through extra schooling if the hospital you work at is willing to train you. LOTS of opportunities....and radiology is a blast!
In my opinion when I am working portables in the hospital and I see every other department as I go by....the rad dept has way more fun than most other dept (nursing for me also was not an option).....but it all depends on the people you work with thats for sure. Also be prepared that in radiology you have to perform upper and lower gastrointestinal exams on patients....yup i have gotten patients bowel contents on me before!
As far as radiation workers getting cancer...I have no worries. You wear radiation badges that monitor your exposure and if you practice safe radiation procedures you will be fine.
As far as medical radiation causing cancer....some things are necessary evils and if i can take a chest xray that diagnosis something that will save your life NOW then i think its work the risk to potentially cause breast cancer in 20 years.....so much is debatable though.....if you spoke with the huge majority of radiology workers (not people who heard something from someone who heard it from joe schmoe down the street) you probably wouldnt be as worried about radiation as you are. In Radiation therapy the radiation is used to CURE people or extend their lifespans when they have cancer. Many people have better qualities of life because they are exposed to exact amounts of radiation in the right place. And if your really that worried....go into ultrasound....no radiation involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities