Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 04:07 PM

265 posts, read 534,888 times

Advertisements

Recent graduate of IUP(non traditional student) and was shocked by how 'comfortable' many of the students lived. First off, almost everyone had a car. And I'm not talking beaters but newer models including saabs, jettas, etc. Likewise, practically everyone had a smart phone of be it an iphone or blackberry. These kids were GLUED to their phones and would often be texting while professor was giving a lecture. Another thing I noticed was quite a few of the apartments started out at about $3,500 a semester and went up from there. Maybe I'm a little bit resentful but I always thought the college days were (for most) a time of struggling and living very frugally as a means to an end. Did anyone else notice this trend? And perhaps where they get the funds to live this nicely? Thanks for listening, i just needed to blow off steam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 04:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
behind every goin nowhere debt creator is an enabler. who might that be?

Old 11-20-2012, 04:09 PM

1,326 posts, read 2,007,822 times
Why do you care? Sounds like jealousy.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:17 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,542,326 times
They'll end up with huge amounts of debt and whine that they can't afford the payments.

Every high school student in America should be required to take a personal finance class and learn about exponents.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:34 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,881,186 times
Could get it from parents/relatives, could be borrowing it, could be working, could have accumulated the wealth in various other ways.
Really no way to know which unless you ask.

Though I wouldn't really classify a Jetta or a Saab (esp now that they stopped making them) as high end

Last edited by UKyank; 11-20-2012 at 05:17 PM..

Old 11-20-2012, 04:42 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater88 View Post
Recent graduate of IUP(non traditional student) and was shocked by how 'comfortable' many of the students lived. First off, almost everyone had a car. And I'm not talking beaters but newer models including saabs, jettas, etc. Likewise, practically everyone had a smart phone of be it an iphone or blackberry. These kids were GLUED to their phones and would often be texting while professor was giving a lecture. Another thing I noticed was quite a few of the apartments started out at about $3,500 a semester and went up from there. Maybe I'm a little bit resentful but I always thought the college days were (for most) a time of struggling and living very frugally as a means to an end. Did anyone else notice this trend? And perhaps where they get the funds to live this nicely? Thanks for listening, i just needed to blow off steam!
Yep every college student is rich and spoiled. Must be those Obama handouts.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 PM

131 posts, read 320,787 times
I think most of these kids really just give off the impression that they are "spoiled" -- after all, image really is everything for them for they frequently lack any substance at all.

While a small percentage might have affluent and enabling parents, I would surmise that the majority of such types (note that not all college students are like this, but many are) will have to "face the music" in the near future when they realize their debt burdens and other real-life concerns.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:13 PM

131 posts, read 320,787 times
Also, as an aside, Jettas are hardly status symbols. In fact, they are pretty economical cars. Now, if they all drove late-model Acuras like I do (as an accomplished professional male) that would be a bit disconcerting.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:22 PM

2,277 posts, read 3,960,123 times
There are plenty of struggling college students that live within their means, but you don't see them because the spoiled/indebted ones stand out. But in any case I doubt it matters other than I believe the federales need to drop the whole student loan program which has done nothing but inflate the cost of education and put students who shouldn't have gone to college in debt to their ears.

Old 11-20-2012, 05:23 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Spoiled is right. Not all but a good portion of them don't give two hoots about who's footing the bill for their college. Have a couple of cousins who were just like that. Spent four years in college partying and wasting their time, all on their parents' tab. Neither of them have done very well in life, either. Other cousins who had to work part-time and rely on scholarships and small student loans have really matured and know the value of a dollar. They drive nice cars now but didn't even own one in college.

Don't let it get to you too much deepwater88. That you recognize the generation of entitlement is a pretty good indication you'll do well in later years. Best of luck to you in college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Colleges and Universities