Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Local TV News Channel Do You Prefer
Channel 5 - NBC 13 17.33%
Channel 11 - CBS 16 21.33%
Channel 13 - ABC 23 30.67%
Channel 21 - FOX 10 13.33%
Other Channel(s) 4 5.33%
I Don't Watch TV News 6 8.00%
I Don't Watch TV At All 3 4.00%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:39 PM

18,039 posts, read 27,497,200 times

Advertisements

I used to watch 13 if any, but I'm getting more annoyed by the lack of consistency, the goofiness, and the overuse of emotion in their broadcasting.

When we have to hear bad news on top of more bad news like we've been seemingly been enduring over the last several years... I just want a more straight up and professional approach. I like James and Heather well enough.. but they are just mentally draining sometimes.

When I'm hearing news about the economy, military casualties, jobs, gas prices, the efforts of our local pro sports teams, etc., I don't want the arduous efforts they have been presenting.

Rob and Lisa got it going on in a straight-forward, consistent and professional manner. Adam does great in the day... but that Georgianna Snuffleuppagus gal... she's sort of too barbie-psycho weird for me. I don't get her at all. She seems high-maintenance raised to the power of 13.

Channel 11 and 21, not so much.

What news channels do you watch and why? What do you like about/ dislike about each?

Numknubs... that sports guy... I don't think so. I ain't gonna slap you some five anytime soon.

I like the Dan Patrick show for sports. I tell my wife that that's my dream job... to be on that show. She says, "Anything but the Jim Rome Show."

Flashforward to Joss: about Mike Madison... I once heard him talking about a thunderstorm one time and he said, "Justh a little Thunderbumper..." and I laughed my youknowwhat's off.

Last edited by McGowdog; 08-06-2011 at 12:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,481,880 times
I perfer KOAA. They have the best news team and weather team and sports team. I am still surprised KKTV let Mike Madison go but it was great for KOAA because they were able to get him. That is why they are number 1 in southern Colorado.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:56 AM

4,922 posts, read 8,581,109 times
The KOAA teams have been together for a long time, so there's a lot of cohesiveness. Lisa Lyden and Rob Quirk have a real on screen chemistry from years of working together. I like all of KOAA's weather broadcasters and I like Bill Folsom's reporting. But, I also like Don Ward and Shannon Brinias, John Karoll and Matt Meister. Colorado Springs is a small market compared to Denver so it's nice that so many anchors have stayed for so long. It would be easy for them to move up to bigger markets, using the Springs as a stepping stone to something bigger.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:28 AM

519 posts, read 732,100 times
KKTV 11 is my favorite. They have the best anchors and reporters imo. They also have the best weather broadcasters imo. Brian Bledsoe is usually right on the money with his forecasts. I don't really have anything bad to say about the others, I just prefer KKTV over them.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:10 AM

26,231 posts, read 49,100,094 times
Hey Dog, pardon my inserting a poll; I'm a geek about such things....

I surf between most channels, but tend to favor 13. No matter the channel, after the first 12 minutes it's almost nothing but commercials. I surf over to CNN or Food and come back at 10:26 for sports.

I like Namnoun's Nutties on Thursday nights to see the zany plays of the week.

- I don't like when the one channel wastes my time telling me how they were first in this area with digital this or digital that.
- I don't like when the one channel wastes my time by giving shout outs to 3 different neighborhoods or towns for watching.
- I don't like it when one person starts a sentence and the other person picks it up and finishes with it. What's up with that?

TV sure isn't what it was when I was a kid; we had Huntley and Brinkley, and we had Walter Cronkite and we had the all time great, Edward R. Murrow. THAT was TV news worth watching. Half of the stuff today is fluff.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:47 PM

Thanks for making it a poll Mike! I do like Nam's nutty plays of the week.

I think I'm just so bent on sports because our pro teams to our north are... not all that lately. I'm always wanting to see the Air Force Falcons do well. If they're not getting clobbered by some Utah team, they're getting upset by a New Mexico team. To win the Commander-in-Chief's is great... but not if they don't get a good bowl game. I guess I always complain because my 1A Rye teams don't get enough publicity. But I'm now a fan of the up and coming P-Dub Cyclones. They're the only team down here who seem to be able to compete with the giants to the North... CoSprings and the Denver Metro teams. Once in a while at the 4A and 5A level, a Western Slope team or a North Central team wins it all. I suppose Nam is as good as any of them.

Walter Cronkite! Reminds me of the days of Howard Cosell.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 PM

26,231 posts, read 49,100,094 times
Dog, I can see Falcon Stadium from my yard....will probably see the Army game this year and watch the Black Knights lose. Again.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 08-06-2011, 02:20 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,604,005 times
I'm a KKTV watcher. There are a few things that I definitely roll my eyes about, i.e. all of the "breaking news" and sometimes the extreme things that they do to keep you watching. I don't need another graphic flash across my screen to discuss a dog missing or something. I like their weather format most of all.

I do watch Fox21 at 9p.m. because as I'm up really early, I go to bed early and I just can't stay up for 10p.m. news. Their Sunday night news is just hilarious. DH and I usually sit there and laugh at that mess.

Old 08-06-2011, 03:56 PM

297 posts, read 896,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

... snip ....

TV sure isn't what it was when I was a kid; we had Huntley and Brinkley, and we had Walter Cronkite and we had the all time great, Edward R. Murrow. THAT was TV news worth watching.
I agree 101% with that! I was just watching an old clip of Murrow a few days ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Half of the stuff today is fluff.
... now you've gone soft, or mealy-mouthed on me. Half my ... foot! I'd put it at 75+%

Old 08-07-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggie View Post

... now you've gone soft...
Hmmm... if you spot it you got it. My man Mike is a man's man, a lady's man, and a scholar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs