Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:11 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,107,808 times

Advertisements

Following my trend of things that may occur for a new resident of Colorado, I have a question about Colorado law.

What are the legal rights of a home owner in El Paso county when their neighbor insists on feeding pigeons? The pigeons are pooping all over other people's decks and vehicles. The poop is carried in from the deck by shoes, and messes up the house.

Note: There is no HOA. I prefer not to have one, but it seems there should be some resort here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 08:34 AM

641 posts, read 2,278,864 times
Lurts,

I would suggest filling out a code-enforcement complaint. To my knowledge, there's only like 1 guy for the whole town, but I've had to "rat-on" some bad neighbors in the past, and the issues were resolved....if only for a lil' while. Good luck.

Code Enforcement Complaint Form - Colorado Springs Police Department

Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM

I'm sure you've already thought of it, but you can also buy one of those plastic "decoy" owls and put in on your back deck. That might frighten off the pigeons for a lil' while.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:49 PM

26,233 posts, read 49,118,040 times
Default Keeping birds from messing up your property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
I'm sure you've already thought of it, but you can also buy one of those plastic "decoy" owls and put in on your back deck. That might frighten off the pigeons for a lil' while.
They do work, maybe not totally or on all types of birds, but they do help.

We had a swallow infestation in our hood the other year. They love to build their mud nests under the eaves of homes, at the peak, which might muck up the exterior coating / stucco. Swallows and other birds also leave their droppings all over your deck and deck furniture. Nasty.

Swallows are protected by the Migratory Bird Act, however, you may knock down their nests by hosing them away, but to be legal it has to be done early in the year before there are any eggs or fledglings in the nest, or in the fall after they leave for the season. One way to keep swallows (and many other birds) from messing up your property is to hang flappy plastic strips from the eaves. I buy those shiny aluminum-looking "happy birthday" banners from the party store and cut them into strips (@16 x 2 inches) and hang them near the peak of the eaves. I also hang them from the porch roof which is over the entry door and has a ledge where birds like to alight and await tasty insects to fly past - and mess up the doormat with their droppings. One 6-8 foot banner will provide strips for many years. The motion of the strips flapping in the wind and the reflection of sunlight is enough to make the birds go elsewhere. Our doormat stays clean these days. Clear plastic strips work just as well.

Not sure these techniques will work on pigeons.

ACE Hardware and others sell the plastic "scarecrow" owls and at various prices. Our owl has a head that swivels in the breeze which gives it added realism and may be scarier looking to other birds and insects. Only downside with the owls is they are hollow (head too) and ours became a wasp condo; just fill it with spray foam to keep wasps out. During the wee hours of the night we often hear another owl serenading our owl - but the poor suitor never gets lucky. Awww
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-02-2013 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 02:37 PM

That's hilarious! I've had the same problem with doves building nests between my eave and rain gutter.

About a year ago....round Christmas, I was walking the perimeter of my house, and found a mess o' feathers in my back yard......like something got in a fight with something bigger....and lost.

I figured it was the remnants of a bird, due to a stray cat or something....there wasn't much of anything left...just a mess of feathers on the ground.

Later that same afternoon, I happened to look out into my back yard from the upper deck, and saw a brown owl sitting in the one of my bare-limbed trees. It was huge! It looked like a huge brown basketball with eyes! It was amazing, and scared the heck out of me, it was so big.

I thought, "Ah....that must've been what took out the smaller bird...or whatever it was!"
I didn't even know owls lived in our area. Oddly enough, I've never seen it since.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 PM

6,826 posts, read 10,542,009 times
There are 1000's of owls here! You probably saw a Great Horned Owl. The reason you may not notice them that much is that they are nocturnal and blend in very well to their surroundings.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:55 PM

20,417 posts, read 14,714,108 times
I would love to see an owl...I hear them sometimes but can't seem to spot them.

We had barn swallows beginning a nest right above our front door last year. Before they could get beyond the first daubs of mud, I hung some reflective plastic up there...it didn't look very classy but it convinced them to relocate their efforts.

I actually caught attitude from multiple people about this, ah the temerity of me not wanting birds pooping all over my front stoop and raising their young above the door where we have to enter and exit. How dare I interfere with nature! And they eat bugs! And they're so cute! Whatever. We did them no harm, and there are other nest sites available. Heck, I wouldn't have minded them being elsewhere under our eaves...just not right above the darn door! They get territorial when the nests are complete, dive bomb you when you're coming and going...it's not so cute then. Plus the nests are usually infested with parasitical insects which I do NOT want entering my home, and believe me they can.

I did a little research when I had this issue. There are actually products you can buy, adhesive strips with fishing line dangling from them, which are nearly invisible but provide enough of a barrier to deter barn swallows when stuck to the ceiling near where they want to nest.

EDIT: Sorry, don't know much about deterring pigeons, but they are such a nuisance in some cities that falcons have been brought in to prey upon them. I remember living in Cincinnati, the city was overrun with them and they really dirtied up the place.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM

26,233 posts, read 49,118,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
There are 1000's of owls here! You probably saw a Great Horned Owl. The reason you may not notice them that much is that they are nocturnal and blend in very well to their surroundings.
Every night game of the Skysox that I've been to we've seen an owl that flies around and sits on the wire that holds up the foul ball net. We often see a rabbit in the outfield too.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:09 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,950,689 times
When I lived in Manitou Springs, there was an owl that apparently roosted somewhere near my house. I'd often hear a few gentle hoots from it when I happened to wake up just as it was coming home. I've also once seen a HUGE barn owl perched on the rail along I-25 between the Springs and Denver. I've always checked for it since when I go past that same spot, but -alas - no repeat sightings.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:33 PM

6,826 posts, read 10,542,009 times
Many people who think they hear owls are actually hearing doves - mourning doves and even eurasian collared doves sound a lot like an owl and will 'hoot' at night sometimes. Sometimes you can't hear the 'up' note of the mourning dove so it sounds a lot like an owl. One way to tell if you're hearing a Great Horned Owl is the rhythm of the call - they say, "Who's Awake? Me too." Signs of Spring: Report Your Observations!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs