Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 07:31 PM

6 posts, read 17,200 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I'm new here, jsut signed up. I'm moving to Colorado Springs beginning of August. I will be in the District 20 schools and I was looking at their registration requirements for my 9 year old. I noticed it says you have to have proof of custody and a letter from the non custodial parent if the child does not live with both biological parents.

I was not married when I had my daughter and she has always lived with me. Her dad lives back in Florida and we have been in Texas over a year. He isn't exactly "cooperative" when it comes to getting me things I need, so I guess my question is do I have to have this letter to register my kid for school??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 09:11 PM

100 posts, read 281,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danigurl1978 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm new here, jsut signed up. I'm moving to Colorado Springs beginning of August. I will be in the District 20 schools and I was looking at their registration requirements for my 9 year old. I noticed it says you have to have proof of custody and a letter from the non custodial parent if the child does not live with both biological parents.

I was not married when I had my daughter and she has always lived with me. Her dad lives back in Florida and we have been in Texas over a year. He isn't exactly "cooperative" when it comes to getting me things I need, so I guess my question is do I have to have this letter to register my kid for school??
how are they going to know that she doesn't live with both custodial parents? I mean unless you tell them (mind you I don't know the relationship history) they won't know. If they ask for parent information and they will just put unknown as far as dad goes. I have physical custody of my daughter but because her dads whereabouts where unknown at the time of the divorce, neither one of us has custody and I enrolled her with no issues. She isn't even mentioned in my divorce decree. try it anyway!

Old 07-08-2008, 09:18 PM

6 posts, read 17,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snglfml View Post
how are they going to know that she doesn't live with both custodial parents? I mean unless you tell them (mind you I don't know the relationship history) they won't know. If they ask for parent information and they will just put unknown as far as dad goes. I have physical custody of my daughter but because her dads whereabouts where unknown at the time of the divorce, neither one of us has custody and I enrolled her with no issues. She isn't even mentioned in my divorce decree. try it anyway!

Thanks for the info. We have never been to court or anything, but Florida law stated that if we werent married at the time of her birth then even if he is on the birth certificate I am granted sole legal and physical custody of her. He has no problems with me moving, he is just kind of lazy about getting things done, so I'd rather not have to depend on him!!

Old 07-09-2008, 01:03 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,946,150 times
While doing that may seem like a good idea, if the father were to ever show up and attempt to remove his daughter from the school, it would be allowed and there would be no reason for the school to contact you and let you know this happened. They wouldn't be held responsible if he decided to take her back to Florida with him at say... 9am. You wouldn't know until after 3pm, about the time their plane is landing back in FL.

Not saying it would happen, but sometimes you never know. Why take a chance? Call the District office and ask what you would need to get (if anything) beforehand. Don't make a decision until you know what is required.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:08 PM

100 posts, read 281,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
While doing that may seem like a good idea, if the father were to ever show up and attempt to remove his daughter from the school, it would be allowed and there would be no reason for the school to contact you and let you know this happened. They wouldn't be held responsible if he decided to take her back to Florida with him at say... 9am. You wouldn't know until after 3pm, about the time their plane is landing back in FL.

Not saying it would happen, but sometimes you never know. Why take a chance? Call the District office and ask what you would need to get (if anything) beforehand. Don't make a decision until you know what is required.
I personally went through this. The school would have to contact the mother because when mom enrolls child there is an authorization for pick up, he has to be on that list if he isn't then the school will call mom.

Old 07-09-2008, 01:29 PM

1,331 posts, read 5,086,174 times
Also,.....IF someone were to show up outside the school to pick up your child,..no matter WHO it is, always have a password between you and your child, something simple, ALWAYS!!! If anyone goes to pick her up and doesn't immediately say the password, she isn't to go, period!

I did this with both of my sons....my oldest had my next door neighbor and her girls try to give him a ride home and, he wouldn't go!! She came over and thanked me for the valuable lesson it taught her children.
Safety first!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs