Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 AM

10 posts, read 58,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhadams View Post
it is about 15 minutes due west of san luis. Off of 142. Has great privacy, there are no neighbors. I'd recommend it for someone who lived on the property. Otherwise, it is best to have someone you know that can see a dwelling in order to keep things safe.
good morning john

i agree i was looking into 35 acres down below melbys was way out there... I read about all the break ins because of the remoatness just how bad is this problem ?? I read about a guy left building matierals at his cabin....they even took his chain... The 5 acres i have just below smith res. Has a neighbor in view..is this why you built on 5 instead of 40
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM

1,788 posts, read 2,486,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG G FROM PA View Post
Good morning john

great to hear from you and i am glad we both share the same ideas i am not worried about the cost of drilling right away cistern/tank will get me started were is your 40 acres located ill check it out... I would like to hook up this summer...... See your place... Trading work can be a good thing
You could camp on the property this summer. I have enjoyed my time in the San Luis Valley. I think simple living has a lot of merits. Seeing a car drive by is almost an occassion.

I try to be more conscientous than greedy. Building a dwelling is risky unless one either lives there or knows reliable neighbors who keep an eye on things. That is the downside of remote dwellings. I think the economy has made property crime more common in all affected areas.

I built a pole barn on five acres that has more neighbors. I plan to live in Denver as long as my clients can stay in business and pay me. So the SLV is my spring/summer/fall project.

Summers are awesome, the temps are in the 80's. The area is growing, there is construction going on. I'll be happy to answer questions though I have yet to be an area expert by a long shot.

Note: I wrote this post before seeing your post this morning.

Old 03-25-2011, 04:00 AM

Good morning john

this will be my decieding factor also is neighbors..i lost 2/3 all i owned in divorce 5 1/2 years of hell... Worst loss..46 acres in wv /cabin that i built/used 20 years you are doing exactley what i plan on... A lot for me to learn out there i plan on building very simple.. And being able to use a couple months a year when i retire and live simple... I joined this forum to meet people like you with same plans [ though i have a lot to learn about navagating on this forum i cant wait to get out there... Many things i would like to ask ...george
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhadams View Post
you could camp on the property this summer. I have enjoyed my time in the san luis valley. I think simple living has a lot of merits. Seeing a car drive by is almost an occassion.

I try to be more conscientous than greedy. Building a dwelling is risky unless one either lives there or knows reliable neighbors who keep an eye on things. That is the downside of remote dwellings. I think the economy has made property crime more common in all affected areas.

I built a pole barn on five acres that has more neighbors. I plan to live in denver as long as my clients can stay in business and pay me. So the slv is my spring/summer/fall project.

Summers are awesome, the temps are in the 80's. The area is growing, there is construction going on. I'll be happy to answer questions though i have yet to be an area expert by a long shot.

Note: I wrote this post before seeing your post this morning.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,486,208 times
Quote:
Good morning john

this will be my decieding factor also is neighbors..i lost 2/3 all i owned in divorce 5 1/2 years of hell... Worst loss..46 acres in wv /cabin that i built/used 20 years you are doing exactley what i plan on... A lot for me to learn out there i plan on building very simple.. And being able to use a couple months a year when i retire and live simple... I joined this forum to meet people like you with same plans [ though i have a lot to learn about navagating on this forum i cant wait to get out there... Many things i would like to ask ...george
I think a good rule of thumb for any dwelling that is infrequently used:
1) Don't leave anything you can't afford to lose.
2) Or build it where it is quite unattractive to burglars.

We all want a remote place yet they are candy for vagrants and low lifes. The valley is much too large for the few cops to really manage. Cordless grinders will cut almost any lock...a new challenge.

I have three different people that keep an 'eye' on my enterprise.

Old 03-29-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHAdams View Post
I think a good rule of thumb for any dwelling that is infrequently used:
1) Don't leave anything you can't afford to lose.
2) Or build it where it is quite unattractive to burglars.

We all want a remote place yet they are candy for vagrants and low lifes. The valley is much too large for the few cops to really manage. Cordless grinders will cut almost any lock...a new challenge.

I have three different people that keep an 'eye' on my enterprise.
people will steal anything...this i know...a lock will only keep a honest man out...
i think reserch is key to any plan..at first i wanted to be real remote 20-40 acres...now i think it would be better 5-10 acres closer to a town/people.. there is always the threat of being ripped off..but as you said the more eyes the better

Old 04-07-2011, 08:57 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,144,631 times
Blanca Peak speaks to me every time I have driven by. I can hardly keep my eyes on the road. I don't live in CO (yet) but with my eventual lottery winnings, I'd definitely build a home facing it. And it's not because it's so beautiful, it's because of its setting and the views of it from so far across the San Luis Valley. It was my introduction to big mountains and I still am in awe of it. The quiet. The distance. The desert. The snow. The Native Americans revered it for a reason and I must be unconsciously doing the same thing.

MODERATOR EDIT: I've copied this posting from another thread to show people the land in the San Luis Valley (SLV), which is very dry and covered in what you see in this excellent photo.
Attached Thumbnails
homesteading the San Luis valley, co-greatsanddunes27a-0808.jpg  

Last edited by Mike from back east; 04-08-2011 at 12:34 PM..

Old 07-16-2011, 08:19 PM

1 posts, read 9,507 times
Thumbs up Hey, How Are You Doing?

Quote:
Good morning john

Hi George,

My family and I have also bought some land about 13 miles south of San Luis, in the valley. We are planning on moving there around the first week of September of this year. We are going to live in our 5th wheel at first but are planning on putting a manufactured home on site and will be working hard to build a small farm out of our 5 acres of land. There is alot of land around our property that is either for sale or is available thru the county via tax liens which is how we are looking to expand our land holdings using this method of investing. We are advocates of self-sustainment!

Old 07-17-2011, 12:23 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,701,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Watts&Family View Post
Hi George,

My family and I have also bought some land about 13 miles south of San Luis, in the valley. We are planning on moving there around the first week of September of this year. We are going to live in our 5th wheel at first but are planning on putting a manufactured home on site and will be working hard to build a small farm out of our 5 acres of land. There is alot of land around our property that is either for sale or is available thru the county via tax liens which is how we are looking to expand our land holdings using this method of investing. We are advocates of self-sustainment!
I hope you have water because that is one of the driest places in Colorado, when CO is already a dry state.

Self sustainment is great if you have the water and season to actually grow something.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:47 AM

462 posts, read 1,175,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abludragon View Post
I am working on building and living on my homestead in the san luis valley of colorado. I was wondering if anyone else is doing the same. I just retired and this is my year to start. Sure could use some help finding things in the area, like where to get wood for building and burning.
Thanks
I was trying to do something similar. You'll need a greenhouse to grow anything or at least cold frames. Soil is crap so count on raised beds. You'll also need some kind of irrigation system. Here's a contact for wood: 720 940-1602. His rates are $70 per cord, 10 cord minimum or $65 per cord for 20 cords or more (pine or aspen). After firewood permits and gasoline, you couldn't cut it that cheap. That's the delivered price of 25 foot trunks. You cut and split. I also have a sawmill and tractor for sale. PM me if interested. Good luck.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:36 PM

good afternoon please keep me posted on your venture..i am planning on comming out this fall and would like to see how your making out....george
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Watts&Family View Post
Hi George,

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado