Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: University of Colorado vs Colorado State University
University of Colorado 22 57.89%
Colorado State University 16 42.11%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 09:40 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,017,686 times

Advertisements

How do Colorado's two largest universities compare, head to head? Does Colorado favor one over the other?

Here are some categories for comparison:

Research and Academics
Sports: Buffaloes vs Rams
Faculty
National/International Recognition
Campuses (which is nicer, more scenic)
Student Life

What are your thoughts, Colorado posters?
Also, how many of you attended one of these universities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 09:41 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,480,331 times
Honestly, I believe that both systems are just as good. FYI, I did attend Colorado State University - Fort Collins and Colorado State University - Pueblo.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 PM

Wow, Joss, that was a fast reply. I'm talking flagship campuses, though. CU has too great of a system for CSU to compete. Stick to the Boulder and Fort Collins Campuses.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:46 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,480,331 times
I still think that both are just as good.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 PM

I attended the University of Colorado, so I do have a bias toward my school. But I did like both schools sports teams before attending Colorado, and very briefly considered attending Colorado State before joining the Marines (1999). I still root for the Rams as long as they are not playing the Buffaloes. So here's my thoughts regarding the categories:

Research and Academics: I suppose it depends on the area of study. Colorado is a big aerospace engineering school, while Colorado State ranks highly among agricultural studies. Both schools have similar admittance requirements, though Colorado's are probably slightly higher.

Sports: As I already said, I do root for the Rams when they are not playing the Buffaloes. Neither school's football team is really any good, though there is hope on both sides of improvement. Both schools had decent basketball programs so hopefully that will an area that continues to improve. I like that Folsom Field is actually on the campus, and it is a slightly nicer facility with the ability to accommodate more fans.

Faculty: Honestly I think it's about even.

National and International recognition: Colorado is slightly higher, though I am always skeptical about college/university rankings.

Campuses: Colorado's is nicer. In my opinion.

Student Life: I would say it's about equal.

Feel free to add your own categories if I've missed one!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:28 PM

8,608 posts, read 14,911,957 times
I went to CSU but I'm not ashamed to admit that CU is the more prestigious of the two universities. CU definitely has the edge in international recognition and research, although CSU holds its own on the research side.

Bottom line, though, is that both schools have their strengths and weaknesses and it all depends on what you're majoring in.

The gap in the quality of education isn't so bad that you should take CSU lightly. Based on the cost/education ratio, CSU is a better value than CU.

CU has the edge in the scenic beauty of the campus, but the pretentiousness and outrageous cost of living that is Boulder can be a huge turn off.

Sports? Both schools suck, quite honestly.

In football, CU alums have been hanging on to a tainted national championship from 20 years ago, and other than a 9-year period from 1994-2002, CSU has perennially had one of the worst college football teams in the nation.

Basketball's not much better. CSU's women's team was consistently in the Top 25 for a brief period in the late 90s and early 00s but they've been terrible for about a decade now, and the men's team hasn't done much ever (although we did get an NIT invite this year).

CU's women's team had success from the late 80s through the mid 00s under Ceal Barry, but like the men's team they've been meh for a while.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
In football, CU alums have been hanging on to a tainted national championship from 20 years ago,
Just about every national championship team has some kind of controversy behind it. Could be an indicator to the NCAA to come up with a different system, but we all know they won't.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:33 AM

2,887 posts, read 7,140,590 times
For a general liberal arts degree, physics, CU is probably a bit better. But for some fields, like veterinary and some environmental science fields, CSU is the choice.

I like both Boulder and Ft Collins, and care not a bit about sports. . .

Old 04-09-2011, 09:11 AM

289 posts, read 776,947 times
I give CU a slight edge in every category, but CSU holds its own too.

One thing I'll say about CSU is that the students seem to be a little more down to earth than CU students. Boulder is a very strange town that I wouldn't fit into, so if I had to choose which school I would rather attend, I would go with CSU.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Bound View Post
One thing I'll say about CSU is that the students seem to be a little more down to earth than CU students.
I think that this is because a higher percentage of CSU's students come from Colorado. Both schools have a pretty large enrollment (over 25,000 undergrads at each) but CU draws more from around the country and world than does CSU. Because Colorado is a fairly "down to earth" state, the higher percentage of Colorado students may explain CSU being a little more down to earth as well.

That's my best guess. I don't think it has much to do with Boulder, per se, because a lot of students at CU aren't even from Boulder. It does reinforce the snooty reputation of the area, but I don't think it explains it. If that makes sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado