Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 08:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,128 times

Advertisements

Hello
* I thank you all for the tips and information you gave me and I could learn a lot. Thanks for all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 09:53 PM

1 posts, read 1,067 times
Default Camp Holy Cross

So many great memories of Camp Holy Cross. I went there with my brother and my cousins. The base camp and Foresdale and Abbot lodges were awesome. My brother won camper of the year. My cousin rode a bull in a Rodeo for Brother David. l
loved all the activities riflery, equistrian ,archery, indianlore ,ceramics, camping, fishing, rope course and yes the daily dip. and the annual visit to the Kiva to watch the Kosharee Indians. and a trip to the Air Force Academy. ,To the prison. , The Royal Gorge. The counselor's ghost stories when we camped out up in the mountains. I remember the Creepy Charlie story scared the crap out of me. Dodge ball against the counselor's. . The two treat items per day at the store and the warm pop. I remember we were given an Indian name when we arrived at the big meeting first day. Every one had cool names Growling Bear, Galloping Horse, Ghost Wolf ECT. mine was Gentle Breeze I was pissed! I remember Neil Armstrong walked on the moon when we were there. And at Abbot lodges The Doors had the big hit Riders on the Stormand someone had a transistor radio and we would watch the storm roll in the foothills while it played. ...I could go on and on. I wish I could relive it. I apologize for the spelling.

Old 08-23-2019, 11:17 PM

7 posts, read 20,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle breeze View Post
So many great memories of Camp Holy Cross. I went there with my brother and my cousins. The base camp and Foresdale and Abbot lodges were awesome. My brother won camper of the year. My cousin rode a bull in a Rodeo for Brother David. l
loved all the activities riflery, equistrian ,archery, indianlore ,ceramics, camping, fishing, rope course and yes the daily dip. and the annual visit to the Kiva to watch the Kosharee Indians. and a trip to the Air Force Academy. ,To the prison. , The Royal Gorge. The counselor's ghost stories when we camped out up in the mountains. I remember the Creepy Charlie story scared the crap out of me. Dodge ball against the counselor's. . The two treat items per day at the store and the warm pop. I remember we were given an Indian name when we arrived at the big meeting first day. Every one had cool names Growling Bear, Galloping Horse, Ghost Wolf ECT. mine was Gentle Breeze I was pissed! I remember Neil Armstrong walked on the moon when we were there. And at Abbot lodges The Doors had the big hit Riders on the Stormand someone had a transistor radio and we would watch the storm roll in the foothills while it played. ...I could go on and on. I wish I could relive it. I apologize for the spelling.
Thank you for the post!

I don't recall{?}us ever visiting the prison but we did get to take a tour of the Estes Model Rocket factory that was pretty neato.
Also remember jogging alongside the Arkansas river @ the bottom of Royal Gorge.
And who could forget the Dip.
What an amazing experience for a young man I shall never forget.

Old 08-25-2019, 04:21 PM

13 posts, read 16,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle breeze View Post
So I am guessing that your non-Indian name is Patrick John Griffin ... right? And your brother was Kevin? You guys were there 69-70-71. Don't recall your cousins, probably had different names. I was Fox Rover (counselor) in 69 and 70 and Base Camp Supervisor in 71. It's fantastic that you have such good memories ... you and thousands of other kids. Mike Long

Old 01-01-2020, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 911 times
Wink Kills the buffalo

Hi everyone, I too, spent a few summers at Camp Holy Cross! I was at Abbott’s Lodge when Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the moon!! I have fond memories of the camp, and wanted to mention Father Allen and his “Ghost Stories” at Forrestdale. He would scare everyone at the end of the story with a blood curdling yell. Anyone know if he published his book of “Ghost Stories”? Also, I was recruited out of Chicago by Father Brendan who played basketball for the Washington Bullits! I rode my first horse there, shot my first 22 gun, made Indian lore, took my first “dip” in the morning in a freezing cold stream, oh the memories. I plan on going back this summer, I’m 66 and retiring April of this year. I finished my time at camp as a junior counselor, what an experience!! Would like to visit the site of Abbott’s Lodge if anyone has the exact coordinates I would appreciate them!! Happy New Year 2020

Old 01-16-2020, 02:02 AM

7 posts, read 5,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Kaye View Post
Hi everyone, I too, spent a few summers at Camp Holy Cross! I was at Abbott’s Lodge when Neil Armstrong took his first steps on the moon!! I have fond memories of the camp, and wanted to mention Father Allen and his “Ghost Stories” at Forrestdale. He would scare everyone at the end of the story with a blood curdling yell. Anyone know if he published his book of “Ghost Stories”? Also, I was recruited out of Chicago by Father Brendan who played basketball for the Washington Bullits! I rode my first horse there, shot my first 22 gun, made Indian lore, took my first “dip” in the morning in a freezing cold stream, oh the memories. I plan on going back this summer, I’m 66 and retiring April of this year. I finished my time at camp as a junior counselor, what an experience!! Would like to visit the site of Abbott’s Lodge if anyone has the exact coordinates I would appreciate them!! Happy New Year 2020
I am the original poster who started the thread, couldn't remember my log in credentials but long story short had to create another account and here I am.

Thank you for posting your memories of Camp Holy Cross, I recall the ghost stories especially the "monster" that walked thru Abbots lodge late one night after all the campers were asleep. It scared me to death lol. And the dip, who can forget that. I remember they were a few boys that would literally cry because they didn't want to do it.
Anyhoos for you questions.

Abbots Lodge proper was burn down years ago in a fire training exercise{I believe was the cause}. You can however still visit the site where it was located here, follow Venable creek from east to west on the map, look below it and find Alvarado road which is winding and ends in a dead end, I am fairly certain this is where Abbot Lodge was located. Here is the map, the creek, as well as Alvarado road are west of Westcliffe. * Not sure why the link to the map isn't posting but just copy/paste it and it is the first one listed "mapquest".

https://www.mapquest.com/us/colorado...e-co-282035889

Here is also a little video of a individual hiking/running the trails on the campsite, when he crosses the creek I am almost certain it was very close to where the dip was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLiZLJc5l_8

Maybe Rochmike16 whom has posted in the thread can help better answer those questions being that he was a member of the camp staff in the 1970s
Hope this helps!

Last edited by Achilleslastandx2; 01-16-2020 at 02:12 AM..

Old 01-19-2020, 02:29 PM

Default Tony Kaye and Abbot's Lodge

Originally Posted by Anton Kaye

Hi Tony, it's great to hear of your fond memories of Camp Holy Cross. The previous reply about the location of Abbot's Lodge is excellent, and better than I could have given. The only additional thought I have is to mention Alvarado Campground, which is very near the site of Abbot's Lodge. Both had great access to the Rainbow Trail, which you will probably remember hiking on when you went out on overnight camping trips. https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/psic...a/?recid=12703

You were "Kills the Buffalo", right? I remember you well as a Junior Counselor 1969, when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon, I was the "Fox Rover" (counselor in charge of the campers who were Foxes who moved with them to the three locations). The 1936-1985 list of campers that I have lists you as having been a camper in 66-67-68.

In any case, you are correct about Father Alan (the school kids called him Spook) and his ghost stories. And here's a big secret - he impersonated more than one scary character over the years, including a memorable turn as Slimey Sam emerging from the pond at Forestdale. He was my math teacher for all four years when I was a student at The Abbey School. He must not have done a very good job because I am a math moron at this stage of my life.

Father Alan died many years ago but Father Brendan is still hanging in there, although he has been "Tom O'Brien" since 1974, with a wonderful wife, grown daughter and two grandchildren. He is one of my closest friends and I worked for him as Director of Admissions when he was Headmaster of The Abbey School. We stay in frequent touch and I'll get a kick out of telling him that you thought he played for the Bullets. He didn't, but he was an excellent basketball player and had friends who were pros.

I'm retired as well and if I ever find the 'free time' that retirement is supposed to provide, I will dig out the hundreds of pictures I took as Camp Photographer for 6 years and post them somewhere.

Best wishes ... Mike Long "Many Foxes" rochmike16@gmail.com

Last edited by Rochmike16; 01-19-2020 at 02:35 PM.. Reason: Add original question

Old 01-19-2020, 02:37 PM

Tony, see my full reply to your question on Abbot's Lodge. I don't visit this site often enough to know if you were automatically notified when I posted it.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
My wife's uncle, before he passed away, was on the staff of that camp and had the nickname "Chief Black Pot." He also taught American History ? at a local parochial school while he lived for decades at Holy Cross Abbey, Canon City. His monastic name was Brother Bernard, and his civilian name was Atlas Best, born in Clinton, North Carolina.
Hello Slowlane3: I was delighted to see your reference to Brother Bernard. I knew him very well. During my junior year at The Abbey School (the college prep boarding school that the monks ran from 1926-86), he was my "Prefect" for half the year, supervising about 50 of us living in Hedley House on the campus. He moved on with us to also be our senior prefect and our class had a great relationship with him. I also worked with him when I became a staff member at Camp Holy Cross and later as Director of Admissions for The Abbey School. He was a character for sure and I have a few fun stories about him and a picture or two, if I can ever find them.

Old 01-19-2020, 02:47 PM

I still appreciate your having started this thread. Posts are infrequent but always fun to read and bring back many memories. I hope all is well with you.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-19-2020 at 03:06 PM.. Reason: This site prefers that posters be anonymous, send personal info via DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado