Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 09:07 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Post some signs telling travelers that if they require emergency services while using this road, they will be billed for such services. El Paso County Search and Rescue has this clause so they can bill those that disregard posted requirements or those that head off into the mountains ill-prepared or inexperienced for their level of activity that there could be financial consequences for their risk taking.
I think this is the only way to make other people think more before jumping on the Me Too I Did It wagon: Hit them in the wallet, hard, when they screw up. Posting “Danger Danger. Skilled Drivers Only” only brings out more idiots who overestimate their abilities and judgment.

Applies to ALL pursuits where rescue might be necessary. Everything, right down to hiking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 09:34 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,055,358 times
I am amazed there are not more accidents.
Prior to driving the Alpine loop(Engineer/Cinnamon)last month, the only instructions I received upon renting an ATV was how to start it; and where the activation button was located for search and rescue.
It took me a good 2 hours to get the hang of vehicle stability vs. terrain.
An instructional video would have helped, which should be mandatory for novice off-road wannabees such as myself.

Old 10-22-2020, 11:27 AM

3,961 posts, read 4,390,777 times
There are plenty of high country accidents happening. We just don't always hear about them because not all of them have an accompanying video that makes its way to the Front Range.

As a child spending the summer months with my Grandparents in the Fairplay/Alma/Leadville area, at least once a month someone rolled a vehicle off a 4wd road or someone fell down a mineshaft while exploring. With the current population levels, I'm certain accidents are still occurring. Except falling down mineshafts. These have certainly declined as more and more mines have been capped or blocked. But the use of offroad trails has significantly increased and with the proliferation of 4wd hardware, a lot of unskilled but well equiped drivers are hitting the high country every weekend thinking they are capable.

Old 10-22-2020, 12:55 PM

213 posts, read 166,153 times
Quote:
Post some signs telling travelers that if they require emergency services while using this road, they will be billed for such services. El Paso County Search and Rescue has this clause so they can bill those that disregard posted requirements or those that head off into the mountains ill-prepared or inexperienced for their level of activity that there could be financial consequences for their risk taking.
100% agree
why penalize everyone for few that are ill-prepared or lack of judgement

Old 10-22-2020, 01:35 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
There are plenty of high country accidents happening. We just don't always hear about them because not all of them have an accompanying video that makes its way to the Front Range.

As a child spending the summer months with my Grandparents in the Fairplay/Alma/Leadville area, at least once a month someone rolled a vehicle off a 4wd road or someone fell down a mineshaft while exploring. With the current population levels, I'm certain accidents are still occurring. Except falling down mineshafts. These have certainly declined as more and more mines have been capped or blocked. But the use of offroad trails has significantly increased and with the proliferation of 4wd hardware, a lot of unskilled but well equiped drivers are hitting the high country every weekend thinking they are capable.
So very true. And it seems like the fun never ends. A few stories from the Cortez Journal:

Car ends up in West Fork of Dolores River near Dunton

Quote:
The Dolores County Sheriff’s Office responded to a crash Wednesday evening after an SUV ended up in the West Fork of the Dolores River.

According to the Colorado State Patrol Trooper Gary Cutler, the driver was not in the vehicle when it left the roadway. The unoccupied Jeep Wrangler rolled down an embankment, hit some trees, then crashed into the river. Cutler said the report did not indicate that a citation was issued.

There were no injuries, said a Dolores County Sheriff deputy at the scene. A tow truck pulled the woman’s SUV from the river.

The deputy said it was unclear how the vehicle ended up in the river...

HELLO, KITTY! Two hunters encounter one another up in the San Juans. Here's one of the hunters. And the other...?

Old 10-22-2020, 04:19 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
I am all for free access to the outdoors and public lands and I want more public land access than we have, but as the population has grown and tourism has also expanded significantly, I've started to rethink it for certain high-traveled areas that are kind of being ruined. I'd almost like to see, for example, a reservation (even if free) system for some of the busier fourteeners during peak season just to cut down on abuse of the terrain, enhance the experience for those going, and maybe cut down on impromptu excursions by totally unprepared individuals.

Old 10-22-2020, 04:31 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
You do not just park in places like that.Look at the grade and determine witch way to turn your front wheels so an accidental roll would not result in an idiot award.I have a built yj I would never ever use on a weekend anymore too many idiots out there.Thinking of just selling it the mountains are full of money and stupidity any more like our little towns overrun the same way.Glad I enjoyed it all when it was undiscovered but that is only a memory now.Glad I am old wish I was older though.

Old 10-22-2020, 05:07 PM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Did you all hear about the big box truck that got stuck on engineer pass because it followed some poor gps directions? https://durangoherald.com/articles/350732

Old 10-22-2020, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
I am all for free access to the outdoors and public lands and I want more public land access than we have, but as the population has grown and tourism has also expanded significantly, I've started to rethink it for certain high-traveled areas that are kind of being ruined. I'd almost like to see, for example, a reservation (even if free) system for some of the busier fourteeners during peak season just to cut down on abuse of the terrain, enhance the experience for those going, and maybe cut down on impromptu excursions by totally unprepared individuals.
The term for this runaway overuse and abuse of public lands (and waters, too!) is Industrial Recreation. And it is time to call out more loudly that even “passive recreation” causes environmental damage when there are too many people out there.

Old 10-22-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Did you all hear about the big box truck that got stuck on engineer pass because it followed some poor gps directions? https://durangoherald.com/articles/350732
Don’t get me going about stoopitly, blindly, overtrustingly following online or GPS-based directions! They don’t account for varying conditions or changes in private land boundaries or crowding or MISTAKES, of which Google perpetrates many. Effing get real maps and learn to use them. Grrrr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado