Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 02:13 PM

8 posts, read 14,282 times

Advertisements

Thanks Arrby

That link I seen also but it's dated 4yrs ago. I'm looking into county office for more recent. I think it might change a bit in last 4 yrs.
I do plan to have well drill. After research, it shown that most registered well depth is 150-300 ft. Well drillers charging $15-$30 per ft; even at 300 ft is about $9k. I know to check the regulations of having well water and for what uses... But overall, the reason of this feed.....
-Is it possible for survival with 2 ppl and livestock with well, harvesting snow and harvesting rain water?
-have small greenhouse for personal food
-composting
Is it really worth it? Or I be losing more investment before I able to retire and live off my land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 02:45 PM

26,208 posts, read 49,017,880 times
IMO it's not worth the effort, but I'm 72 and not going to make much of any effort anymore. YMMV.

If you have to run electricity to a new home that can cost thousands. Septic issues are also to be dealt with in new builds.

Like the two properties I used as examples, there are places in other areas that not only are far better suited to livestock but also are ready to move into in just a few weeks.

You REALLY have to want to be in COLO to go through all the issues it takes to make it happen.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 09-08-2020, 02:56 PM

8 posts, read 14,282 times
Lol. Thanks Mike. In response, I didn't say "we are greenie ppl". I done a lot of experiments and trying out things. Power won't cost me a dime. Off grid living means you must generate your own power sources. I already have water wheel, solar panels, and wind power with battery bank, inverter ready to be hooked up. So naw issue with area.
Septic and well I'm aware of. Out of pocket expenses which can be done; as long as county inspector approves it. Can I maintain enough grass during non-snow season to let my livestock graze? If the answer is yea, then I'm 1 down 2 more to go.
So the only bad thing(s) I heard about Walsenburg is snow and water resources. Ain't sound so bad. More resourcing and homework to do. Thanks everyone.

Old 09-08-2020, 04:00 PM

3,961 posts, read 4,385,848 times
The presence of livestock change a lot in regards to acreage required and well permits allowed. Anything less than 35 acres is considered household well usage only. I seem to recall hearing that using unirrigated land with natural grasses as feed can take up to 40 acres per head of stock in CO.

Primer read for you to look over that may get into finer details of what is needed: https://csfs.colostate.edu/media/sit...ning_guide.pdf

Old 09-08-2020, 04:24 PM

17,707 posts, read 29,800,391 times
Yet another "living off the land in Colorado" thread where the OP is completely ignorant about Colorado water law. I mean, we are the only state with a separate Water Court.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:51 PM

374 posts, read 562,416 times
Default Carrying Capacity

Dryland Pasture Condition Assessment and Guidelines for Colorado Small Acreage

https://rangemanagement.extension.co...ying-capacity/

Q: I am trying to find out more information about the general carrying capacity and stocking rates in Las Animas, Huerfano, Pueblo, Otero, Costilla and Alamosa counties.

A: In the area east of Interstate 25, your stocking rates can be from 4 to 80 acres per animal unit. Near the foothills of the front range, it can range from 4 to 25 acres per animal unit. In the San Luis Valley area, stocking rates can range from 6 to 120 acres per animal unit. In western Costilla County and eastern Alamosa you will be nearer to 80-120 acres per animal unit. There can be some areas that are lower within a region, it does vary a lot.
Soil conditions play a large part in pasture production. Knowing what soil you have will help make accurate decisions as well.

https://ask.extension.org/questions/540576

When I see discussions of carrying capacity, I always think back to ~ 1979, when KSU's plot of alfalfa on Highway 50, W of Emporia, was across the highway from a privately-owned section of pasture over-grazed to the point it was a solid vista of yellow, Amphiachyris dracunculoides, or broom weed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EXb2NpClms

Old 09-08-2020, 08:27 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,502,595 times
Water rights can't be overstressed in CO. It is the only state with an entire court system set up for water. When we look at a map of CO and see all of that land that appears vacant, there are reasons for it: water is part of it. Some of the land grants go back to the Spanish Empire and they are huge and their recognition was part of the treaty. Colorado operates under the Colorado Doctrine and the prior appropriation doctrine. A person can have a stream on their land and not be able to use it. It is a constant issue both locally and at the state level. To compound the confusion, acequias exist which have their own rules, again dating back to the Spanish Empire.

On a personal note, when I lived in CO I had a friend who was very liberal but was elected in a very conservative district. When I asked him how he did it, he said two things helped: being a local rancher and defending water rights. It can't be overstressed.

Also, be sure sure who owns the mineral rights on the land. Most surface land owners in CO don't own the minerals under it. It restricts things you can do.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:49 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
If you want to grow food I'd look at the pictures in real estate listings. If there's already a crop growing on the land, or at least a very green-looking pasture, chances are pretty good they have enough water (typically ditch water or a well) and decent enough soil. Trying to convert scrub land to crops would take an enormous effort.

Collected rainwater is probably enough for a small garden, but that's about all IMO.

Last edited by hikernut; 09-09-2020 at 01:04 PM..

Old 09-09-2020, 12:58 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
My friends just bought a little house 900 sf, 9 ft ceilings as a little getaway place...10 min from the lake they RV camp at often.
$35,000 ---another 35k to fix things up, well they haven't signed on it ,yet - just a handshake.
They do this a lot.
They love it there and said Denverites are learning about the area to invest in and also to getaway from the city.
Funny thing, the lawn has some kind of prickly plant all over - as in, the dog can't even be let free to run. So they will eventually dredge/clear away that soil.
Who woulda thought that?

Old 09-09-2020, 01:06 PM

6,750 posts, read 5,047,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Funny thing, the lawn has some kind of prickly plant all over - as in, the dog can't even be let free to run.
Maybe cholla? The spines are barbed, like porcupine quills. Nasty stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado