Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2020, 12:54 PM

3 posts, read 9,117 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy property near Durango. Our daughter will be attended college there next year and we're wanting a place we can put 2 tiny homes on. One for her, and one for us to stay at in the summer/ vacations. Bayfield area is far cheaper when it comes to property. How annoying is that commute going to be for her? For us it's fine when there because we can shop in Bayfield and we just want to be away from the Texas heat lol. But I'm a bit concerned about her commute. We are in Texas and accustomed to a decent drive to get ANYWHERE so that helps.

Otherwise, what area would you recommend?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2020, 01:21 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
Bayfield city limits to southern Durango city limits is 18 miles but to Fort Lewis College it might be more like 22-23. Highway 160 is 2 lane most of the way with a few passing lane stretches. Traffic is pretty heavy during peak commute times but not bad otherwise. She'd probably want to allow 30-35 minutes in off-times to also cover parking / walking to class. Maybe 5 - 10 minutes more in peak times. Use Hwy 3 to eliminate going thru the most crowded / slowest downtown intersections. If you live away from center of Bayfield, add on the additional miles. In winter add on a little to a lot of extra time (like 50-100-150% more time during or right after storms depending on conditions and wrecks). Some pretty big up and down stretches (probably hundreds of feet). Or stay in sometimes.

Some accidents and fatalities from vehicles entering off side drives, passing recklessly and drunks. But that goes for a lot of roads.

Property to put 2 tiny homes on? It has been a challenge to a complete road block for many to site one anywhere here. But rules / policies are / may be changing some. Check it out in complete detail with city and / or county WAY BEFORE INITIATING any buy. I am talking hours of calls / reading / estimates, not a one time 5-10 minute call. Don't assume it will work out. Zoning, septic, water, etc. For most folks I know it did not work out as hoped. More expensive or not allowed period. Some who just did want they wanted were eventually cited / forced to move, change things or give up. With possible rare exceptions, most places here have to date required homes to be 800 plus square feet. 2nd structure? More rules but I don't know them. Subdivision rules are pretty strict to ironclad here.

Other more affordable areas? Parts of Florida Mesa (5-10 miles directly south of Durango). Or halfway between Durango and Bayfield. Some subdivisions 10 plus miles up County Road 240 (also call "FloReeDa" road) northeast of Durango. Or maybe Red Mesa (10 plus miles southwest of Durango).

Pay close attention to water. Some places won't deliver a clean well. Many forced to haul water / use cisterns. Surface water rights are super highly regulated.

P.S. There is a tiny home in Bayfield up CR501 north about 1/2 mile to 1 mile of intersection with Hwy 160 right by high school. It may be one the high school shop class built. It has been for sale at least 6 months, maybe 12-18. Siting is probably an issue. Size and price could be too. Some area tiny home builders are high priced imo. They have incentives to make it sound like things can work out but one builder was parked illegally himself and threatened with legal action a few years ago. I dunno how it turned out.

This is the newest / biggest tiny home developmeny just of south edge of Durango.
https://www.escalantevillage.com/
Currently full.
But click menu icon at top right and "resources" for links to local builders.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-02-2020 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-02-2020, 03:14 PM

We talked to the city of Durango and they said there would be no issues with 2 hookups as long as it wasn't in a subdivision with restrictions. We aren't looking for a lot in a subdivision, we're looking at fairly large acerages. Hmm.. I wonder why they'd tell us it would work if they aren't actually allowing it. We are in Texas but my husband is a home designer and builder so we'll be building our own.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:10 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,672,056 times
City of Durango has zoning codes that regulate how many dwellings can be on one lot. That varies by zone district. However, if you are looking at fairly large acreage, then I assume you'd be in the county outside of the city limits. Zoning would be different there.

I would suggest that if you find some land that you might consider, then go to the city or county with a specific address to see what is permitted. That could give you some idea of which is allowed.

Old 10-02-2020, 05:23 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
As a tired old cranky guy the scheme of buying land and building tiny homes seems like a glutton for punishment effort. I'd just buy one home in Durango and live in it with the daughter. Durango will always be a marketable location where a home could be resold easily at any time short of a huge recession.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 10-02-2020, 06:01 PM

8,499 posts, read 8,790,853 times
The City of Durango staffer's advice might be generally correct. (I don't know, but I wonder if he was talking about county land / rules. That might not be appropriate.) But county land indeed should get official County answers imo. A brand new county comprehensive land use plan passed a few weeks ago so it is possible that some statements might be out of date (mine or others).

Forest Lakes 6-7 miles north of Bayfield is a sub-divison / metropolian service district. If you don't want that, pass on any lots there. There are also larger housing size requirements. I believe.

I've urged Bayfield city government to become more tiny home friendly but last I checked 6 plus months ago you couldn't do it in Bayfield itself.

Try to confirm the information with several people and keep names / dates / statements.

Last edited by NW Crow; 10-02-2020 at 06:17 PM..

Old 10-02-2020, 06:09 PM

914 posts, read 2,206,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
As a tired old cranky guy the scheme of buying land and building tiny homes seems like a glutton for punishment effort.
What he said.

The plan that begins with "I'll just buy a lot and build in Colorado" is the preamble for a long and incredibly frustrating time.

Old 10-02-2020, 07:38 PM

Fwiw.. We've built 26 homes in multiple countries and states, lived tiny and large, etc. I totally understand the legalities, how cautious one should be, etc.. (and warning others who don't get that! ) mainly curious as to the commute situation.

(Yes.. we have issues settling in one place.. why do you ask?)

Old 10-02-2020, 07:44 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times
Sounds like you might be married to "Stealth Rabbit" aka Jan who seems to have the same world-roving tendencies.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado