Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2021, 04:50 PM

158 posts, read 379,786 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We're looking at areas in and around Larkspur. Would really appreciate some local info such as:
Homeowners insurance cost, trash collection, internet service quality, forest fire mitigation, water quality, road maintenance/snow removal, and any other local details about living in the area. Any negatives since you've been living there? We just visited the area and it appealed to us. We know the cost of the homes, been looking on Realtor for months.

Thank you,
Matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 09:07 PM

277 posts, read 306,501 times
Love Larkspur - such a beautiful area! I live a little north in Sedalia, but used to live close to the border of Castle Rock / Larkspur and spent a lot of time there.

You're pretty close to Castle Rock in much of Larkspur, which really has all of the services that you'd want that Larkspur does not have. Hopefully you are not needing to commute to the Springs or Denver, because either of those would be a less than pleasant drive.

Trash - would really depend on the house / neighborhood. If you're in an HOA, it's likely included as part of your dues.
Internet Service - you can get good internet in most of semi-rural Doug Co these days - what parts of Larkspur are you looking at (grasslands, foothills, into the mountains, woods, etc.)? I have several friends who live in Larkspur and work from home full time w/ high speed internet
Water Quality - will depend on whether you are on a private or community well. If the latter, of course you're at the mercy of how the community water is being managed. If on private - a $4-5k water filtration setup can get you drinking quality water out of every faucet in your house. I love being on a well - no water bill and can control the destiny of my own filtration. You can find whether a house is on a well or has a water provider here: https://apps.douglas.co.us/dcmaps/ma...=waterProvider
Road Maintenance / Snow Removal - Some roads are maintained by Metro districts / HOAs, others are maintained by the county. Some are not plowed in the winter even if they are county roads. If the county plows your road, the service is generally good. You can find what the situation is for a specific street here as well as the priority (I am on a "low" priority 3 road in Sedalia, and it's literally plowed first thing in the morning of every snowstorm): https://apps.douglas.co.us/dcmaps/ma...emovalPriority

Old 10-15-2021, 12:38 PM

Thanks very much, very helpful. Forgot to mention that we will be retired. Haven't zeroed in on a particular area. Afraid of dense woods due to fires, but also don't want barren land. How's the electric service, any blackouts?

Thank you,
Matt

Old 10-15-2021, 06:33 PM

2,478 posts, read 2,700,228 times
I would add Perry Park, Palmer Lake and Monument to the list. Same ish area.

Old 10-16-2021, 11:52 AM

Thanks very much, like to have close to one acre, which eliminates some areas. We will definitely consider nearby locations.

Matt

Old 10-17-2021, 02:25 PM

277 posts, read 306,501 times
If you are on an acre, you'll most likely be in a neighborhood / HOA, which means larger attention to fire mitigation measures by your neighbors and overall community.

I can only think of a few of times where we have lost power, and it's always been for no more than a couple hours. A lot of the neighborhoods have underground power lines which is both aesthetically more pleasant and also really minimizes any outages.

Old 10-19-2021, 02:45 PM

Thanks again for the great info. I'll keep all of this information in mind.

Matt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado