Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 12:10 PM

8 posts, read 7,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
You wouldn't have a link to this by chance? I'm curious because I kind of stay up on things and haven't heard of anything like it at CC. CC is involved with QuestBridge, which, "matches high-achieving students from under-resourced high schools with opportunities in higher education." But QuestBridge has no state boundaries to their offerings. I find it odd that an independent, private, college would have a program that correlates tuition to that of a state university. Typical of private schools, the vast majority of CC students are from out-of-state.
I think I briefly read something from a few years ago that said CC will begin to offer in-state tuition to students whose families also live in Colorado and make under $X amount per year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 12:10 PM

507 posts, read 663,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earth_2_ren View Post
This was really helpful, thank you! I'll be studying environmental sciences/policy, and I heard good things about each school's environmental programs. Also my ex went to CC a few years ago and really enjoyed his time there, and his friends who went feel the same about the school. I know there's some mixed opinions about their block plan, but I recently switched from an Art program into a Science program, so I think it could be helpful for someone like me who feels like they need to catch up, so to speak, and be a little more intensive in my studying of natural sciences. Won't know til I'm (maybe) there, though! A graduate program is something I'm considering, but not 100% on just yet.
One of my best buddies at CC majored in environmental studies. He utilized his education in that area up in Alaska before going on to medical school and embarking on his career as a family practice physician.

The block plan has benefits and some disadvantages. It's good for classes that utilize field experiences since there are no other class obligations that the students must meet. It's more difficult for studies that require more ongoing research rather than immersion.

I was in Intro Psychology and we were required to train a rat to demonstrate contingency using a Skinner box. You've got 3 and a half weeks. If your rat doesn't finish in that time, you have to continue until the rat does finish, while you have already started another block course. Some rats catch on right away and others not so soon. I was working with my rat one evening in Palmer Hall when the power went out. In the time between lights going out and the generators kicking on, my rat bailed out of the box and headed down the hall. Security was coming up the stairs, and I asked have you seen a rat? They said yeah, heading down the stairs. I thought I will never find her, and have to start all over, but the lights came on and I found her. She wouldn't do anymore work that evening after her excursion. But I did finish up couple days before block end.

Old 12-03-2021, 12:11 PM

410 posts, read 451,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoprairie View Post
You wouldn't have a link to this by chance? I'm curious because I kind of stay up on things and haven't heard of anything like it at CC.
It's a pilot program called Colorado Pledge.
https://www.coloradocollege.edu/admi...do-pledge.html
https://www.coloradocollege.edu/news...l#.Yaps5OjMK00

https://coloradosun.com/2019/08/23/c...tion-discount/

"Students from Colorado families making an adjusted gross income between $125,000 and $200,000 annually will pay the in-state cost of attending University of Colorado."

Old 12-03-2021, 12:20 PM

507 posts, read 663,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
It's a pilot program called Colorado Pledge. Not on their website, but well publicized at its introduction; you could see if it's been extended.

"Students from Colorado families making an adjusted gross income between $125,000 and $200,000 annually will pay the in-state cost of attending University of Colorado."

https://coloradosun.com/2019/08/23/c...tion-discount/
Thanks. Now I think I may have heard of them doing this. I was just looking at the last Bulletin to see if I could find anything. I'm kind of surprised that just 51% of incoming students to the 21-22 class are getting financial aid. I would have thought it would be significantly higher at expenses of about 79 thousand. The "students of color" percentage is up to 28.2 from what was about 13 percent when I was a student. Class of 2025 are the largest ever number of applicants for admission.

Old 12-03-2021, 01:00 PM

410 posts, read 451,873 times
They put this program in place after focus groups showed a very large percentage of top students in Colorado didn't even consider - much less visit/apply to - CC because of the high price tag. So, they evened the playing field with Boulder's.

Old 12-03-2021, 06:47 PM

6,825 posts, read 10,531,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earth_2_ren View Post
I still have about 3 other schools on my list, but so far CC and FLC are at the top(ish) of my list because they're closer to home (Missouri), I've heard good things firsthand about CC and they're natural science programs in particular, and I came upon FLC just through Google. I haven't found any firsthand accounts of FLC's environmental sciences program, but I like what I've read about it on their website so far. FLC is more of a backup option because they'd be relatively cheap after aid and admission rate is high.
Yes, CC is known for its strong science programs including environmental science.

I have a friend who went to Fort Lewis College and ended up with a great career as a neuroscientist, so it can't have been too shabby, either.

Old 01-11-2022, 02:00 AM

63 posts, read 80,752 times
Out of those two cities, Colorado Springs is better for someone your age. It has more to offer socially, and for larger events it is just a short ride to Denver. If you are moving alone, social connections will be an important part of the experience, and there is just more to offer in the larger cities.

I, in contrast, am a grad student who commutes to the Springs and takes online courses. As an older individual, I would rather live in Durango, Pagosa Springs, or even the Mancos / Cortez area. That entire area is absolutely beautiful, and I do not mind having less opportunities for entertainment, shopping, and dining. There are trade offs to living anywhere, so it really just depends on what is more important to you. Either city is great for access to outdoor activities, but then again that can be said more most areas of the state.

Either way, I hope school goes well for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado