Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2021, 06:38 AM

2,175 posts, read 4,297,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Gasoline burnes hotter. 1,733 degrees for gasoline vs 752 degrees for batteries.
Thank you for introduced facts into this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2021, 08:43 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
Thank you for introduced facts into this.
Just for the record, I'm not saying electric vehicle fires are not a problem. They are a problem. They are just not a bigger problem then gasoline vehicle fires. So if the HOA wants to ban EVs, then they should ban gasoline powered vehicles as well.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:03 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Couple the toasty and inextinquishable fire with an inaccessible multi story wooden structure that has multiple families sleeping above the fire. Add sub zero temps and wind and snow...
Add additional vehicles for a long lasting fuel supply all in an enclosed space - no sprinklers, Frozen hydrants, low water hydrant pressure (EV fire cannot be extinguished with water.)

1. Inability to rescue occupants
  2. Toxic Smoke
  3. Heat
  4. Structure collapse
  5. Adjacent structures...
  6. services and utilities
  7. Limited EMS for fire and hospitalization of a mass casualty event
  8. Long Distance to Trauma support services / Burn Unit

Makes one think
The bolded is what might be the critical factor.

Old 12-16-2021, 10:37 AM

26,210 posts, read 49,022,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
The bolded is what might be the critical factor.
There are several types of fires that cannot be extinguished with water, which calls for foam or other fire fighting products.

IMO gasoline is far worse as the fumes are explosive. As a fluid, gasoline can run down the street and pour into storm drains where the fumes may cause a large explosion well away from the initial event.

Battery fires will be researched and eventually a solution will be found. IMO it's a minor issue, but those opposed to battery electric vehicles (BEVs) will find ways to knock them. But after 100+ years we still can't make gasoline safe, it is intrinsically dangerous, will remain so forever, thus we've found ways to ameliorate the risks and live with it --- until something better comes along, like BEVs.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-16-2021, 11:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Just for the record, I'm not saying electric vehicle fires are not a problem. They are a problem. They are just not a bigger problem then gasoline vehicle fires. So if the HOA wants to ban EVs, then they should ban gasoline powered vehicles as well.
I'm ALL for that
That stuff is very dangerous (Ask Oregon and NJ)

Wouldn't affect me or my primary transportation.

But... it takes 15 min research to see the ACTUAL risk the Condo Association considered in banning EV's, They have reason (and liability) to be cautious and responsible. Probably some HOA shake-out (up) from FL issues.

In any event, having a few EV's charging in a confined space, under a difficult to access wooden housing structure should and can be carefully addressed to assure safety of all.

Old 12-27-2021, 02:17 PM

2,175 posts, read 4,297,230 times
I guess the HOA Board now needs to bar Hyundai and Kia from their garage, too:
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...res-and-fires/

Old 12-29-2021, 10:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryK123 View Post
I guess the HOA Board now needs to bar Hyundai and Kia from their garage, too:
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...res-and-fires/
Read the fine print (How / When these 'ICE' engine fires occur)

But, sure... great idea. Remove all confined fire hazards from below a residential sleeping area.

I was not so worried while in Switzerland and Germany living on the slopes (steep villages), as the structures are usually poured concrete, as is my multi story garage in my own USA home. Very low fire risk, but I would never park a gasoline (ick) powered vehicle or an EV in an 'attached' garage to my home / sleeping space. Chain saws, mowers, motorcycles, cars... They all have a much safer place to live than in my house . Since I have an international guest home, open to travelers, I certainly don't want to risk their safety while they're in the very expensive healthcare USA. (and hard to get / insure for foreigners)

Old 01-12-2022, 07:09 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Default Government data show gasoline vehicles are up to 100x more prone to fires than EVs

https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/gover...ires-than-evs/

According to findings pointed out by AutoInsuranceEZ, vehicles that operate using gasoline are tenfold more likely to catch fire compared to EVs.

Old 01-12-2022, 07:25 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,469,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
A large battery fire burns very hot and is very hard to extinguish once it gets going. It’s not the same as a fire from an ICE vehicle
ALSO Lithium battery will reignite

Old 01-13-2022, 02:26 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
When was the last time a gas vehicle was recalled for spontaneous combustion fires? I don't remember any, even the Pinto only caught fire in a severe rear-end collision. When they recall about 110,000 2017-2022 Chevrolet Bolt EVs for fire hazard the insurers and HOAs are going to pay attention. More importantly to the EV industry, potential EV buyers are paying attention. I have owned over 30 new and used ICE vehicles since 1968, and only two minor fires, in both cases classic cars over 30 years old that I was restoring, and easily put out immediately with no damage done other than a wire in one case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado