Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2023, 10:26 AM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times

Advertisements

So glad to see Evans finally got renamed to Mount Blue Sky. Took WAY too long for this to happen.

It's gross that we have so much of of the Rockies christened after egotistical idiots who thought their last name is what everyone should reference these wonders of nature after.

Good mountain names:
Mount Massive
Mount Shavano
Mount Blanca
Fairview Peak
Tater Heap
Uncompahgre Peak
Castle Peak
Mount of the Holy Cross
Mount Silverheels

Stupid names:
Greys and Torreys
Pikes Peak
Mount Sherman
Mount Elbert
Mount Wilson
Sheep Mountain (literally 500 named that)
New York Mountain
Mount Oklahoma

Just cause that's what dad called the mountain doesn't mean we should be stuck with the system of a mad dash to see who could get their name put up their first in 1895.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 10:49 AM

5,948 posts, read 2,870,440 times
Angry often ?

Old 09-27-2023, 11:06 AM

317 posts, read 473,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
It's gross that we have so much of of the Rockies christened after egotistical idiots who thought their last name is what everyone should reference these wonders of nature after. .
While I do understand the motivations to rename Evans, I feel like the context of when these mountains were named is important. Most people aren't particularly creative and are rather boring, especially in the 19th century. (How many Mt Baldy's and Grizzly Peaks are there??) I don't think there's any part of the country that was exempt from this phenomenon of naming places after someone important at the time. This still happens today in terms of highways, roads, airports, etc, and 100 years from now people will likely find something they consider atrocious about those figures, too.

The mountains don't care what we call them. As of yesterday I've hiked 155 of them, and I can't think of a single summit where its name was meaningful to me, either. Their beauty is, comparatively, eternal while our existence is fleeting.

Last edited by interloper1138; 09-27-2023 at 11:25 AM..

Old 09-27-2023, 11:56 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
So, its all about what YOU want? You feel you have the right to impose your preferences on everyone else?

Something that might throw a monkey wrench into your dream to get rid of what you consider stupid labels is land designation. Named features (such as mountains) that have subsequently ended up incorporated into designated wilderness won't be re-named. If they didn't happen to have a name before designation, they will never get one.

Old 09-27-2023, 01:16 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by interloper1138 View Post
While I do understand the motivations to rename Evans, I feel like the context of when these mountains were named is important. Most people aren't particularly creative and are rather boring, especially in the 19th century. (How many Mt Baldy's and Grizzly Peaks are there??) I don't think there's any part of the country that was exempt from this phenomenon of naming places after someone important at the time. This still happens today in terms of highways, roads, airports, etc, and 100 years from now people will likely find something they consider atrocious about those figures, too.

The mountains don't care what we call them. As of yesterday I've hiked 155 of them, and I can't think of a single summit where its name was meaningful to me, either. Their beauty is, comparatively, eternal while our existence is fleeting.
But it should be an ongoing effort, and not one that is static once people feel like they've published a map. These Grizzlies and Baldy's should get renamed as well to something more exciting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
So, its all about what YOU want? You feel you have the right to impose your preferences on everyone else?

Something that might throw a monkey wrench into your dream to get rid of what you consider stupid labels is land designation. Named features (such as mountains) that have subsequently ended up incorporated into designated wilderness won't be re-named. If they didn't happen to have a name before designation, they will never get one.
I'm saying the 1890s shouldn't dictate what today's world is. Not saying I should be the naming council, just that we should be proactive about this. Names carry a lot of meaning. Every time they're uttered, it establishes a little bit of element of the name to the conversation.

That sounds like another aspect of the wilderness designation that's foolish.

Old 09-27-2023, 01:36 PM

Can I ask why the name of an arbitrary pile of rocks is so important that they must be renamed on an ongoing basis to cater to current cultural tastes? There are hundreds of unnamed peaks in Colorado and it's rare that you see anyone getting up in arms about what to call them. They're free to be called whatever, yet no one cares about them.

To reiterate, I'm not stating that Evans should not have been renamed, I'm wondering why it actually matters in the first place. The Spanish were in Colorado long before the Arapaho were. And thousands of years before the Spanish, people we barely know anything about called Colorado home. Do you understand what I'm getting at?

It's the 'significance' and 'importance' of the debate itself that I find silly, not the arguments for/against any specific name.

Old 09-27-2023, 01:41 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
Learn from history, don’t cover it up.

Old 09-27-2023, 01:53 PM

Also I find it interesting that you mention Mount Blanca as one name that you're okay with. I live in the San Luis Valley, Mount Blanca is important and symbolic to me and many other valley residents. I've hiked it twice. It dominates the skyline regardless of where you are in the valley.

But hundreds of years ago the Navajo named it Sis Naajinį́ as one of their sacred peaks delineating the eastern boundary of what they regard as their traditional homeland. 'Mount Blanca' literally means 'Mount White' or 'White Mountain' - a decidedly boring and uninspired name. And yet I haven't seen any serious campaigns arguing for it to be officially renamed for the sake of honoring Navajo traditions or 'jazzing it up' to something more creative. Were it to be renamed I wouldn't care, but I would question any sort of urgency behind the campaign.

It's the selective nature of this debate that I find so baffling.

Old 09-27-2023, 02:25 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:

I'm saying the 1890s shouldn't dictate what today's world is. Not saying I should be the naming council, just that we should be proactive about this. Names carry a lot of meaning. Every time they're uttered, it establishes a little bit of element of the name to the conversation.

That sounds like another aspect of the wilderness designation that's foolish.
Obviously, you've never read the act or what it is intended to preserve. I've linked to the 1964 public law. I'm not going to repeat it for you. Of course the point will be moot if some mountain you're upset about is not within designated wilderness, but let's continue for those that are:

https://wilderness.net/learn-about-w...ct/default.php

If you bother to read it (pretty darned short and sweet for a federal law) you will note that the purpose for wilderness designation is to preserve unimpaired the area's primeval, primitive, ecological, biological, recreational, AND historical values that existed at the time of designation. If some value was degraded at that time, attempts can be made to improve it's condition but only in specific circumstances and by limited means.

There is a history behind placenames whether you happen to feel that history is worthy or not. As long as some feature received its official name (and I mean as recorded in the USGS Board on Official Names) prior to the area's designation, the name stays. Just as an old historical use cabin stays (but may be left to rot into the ground in most cases). Just as a trail stays (it may be maintained in a limited fashion). Unnamed features stay unnamed. To keep changing names on a whim (and frankly, what you want sounds a lot like a whim) to please someone results in what is referred to as trammeling. It is a derivation of a word meaning a type of trap: to confine, restrict, to deprive of freedom of action, to tame. Trammeling results in degradation of a wilderness area's existing value.

Old 09-27-2023, 02:28 PM

2,407 posts, read 1,524,546 times
Quote:
So glad to see Evans finally got renamed to Mount Blue Sky. Took WAY too long for this to happen.
What will they rename it in 100 years when the great windmill fireball of 2122 burns all the wind generators on earth and the skies take on a permanent grey tinge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado