Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 09:57 AM

543 posts, read 1,228,536 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I was just wondering if Co. is in short supply of teachers like we are in Florida? I am currently in school for education, not sure if I am making the right choice. (maybe an English degree would be better).
I am very interested in the multiple intelligence theory, and want to teach in that way. Does anyone know if the schools use this in the classrooms?
Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 12:45 PM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
I think there *should* be teaching jobs here in CO. The state continues to grow as people/retirees move here from high cost areas.

There is a lot of info already here on schools. Use the Search this Forum tool (in Colorado, Denver and Colorado Springs forums) to find it. Search on keywords like school schools csap district "advanced placement" elementary senior or whatever term fits your specialty. Best if you select the "show POSTS" radio button when using Search.

Helps if you first pick an area to live in. Main population is along the Front Range, or the I-25 corridor, on the EAST side of the mountains. Great school districts in many areas. Once you pick an area, you can use search to find the postings on that city.

After reading what we already have here, if you have questions, go ahead and post them, but we do try to not keep answering the same or very similar set of questions, thus we recommend using Search first.

Thanks!
s/Mike from back east

Old 02-17-2007, 11:04 PM

648 posts, read 2,941,515 times
Ok, help me out... What is multiple intelligence? I have never heard of that.. bashep

Last edited by bashep; 02-17-2007 at 11:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-18-2007, 05:52 PM

157 posts, read 651,996 times
Hey Fn2,

I think you can find MI (or at least elements of it) in use in the Co. school system. For example, IMP (Interactive Math Program) is used in various Co. mid and high schools - this program encourages learning/expression in many styles - as appropriate to each kid. Last I knew, most IMP programs were in/around the Denver Metro. Overall, I think some public districts/schools/teachers in Co are really progressive and, while, the whole curriculum may not be "MI", it will be incorporated more and more (IMO).

Also, Colorado is a good state for charter schools, private schools, and home school "programs". I think the chances of finding MI are highest in charter schools. Check out http://www.cde.state.co.us/scripts/chartersearch.asp for a listing and info on charter schools in Co. Also, www.privateschoolreview.com for private schools.

You may already know this one, but here's a site on MI that has a forum where you can post for more info. - www.surfaquarium.com. (Hey Bashep, check this one out, too)

Finally, Teaching vs. English Degree? If your heart has even a little pull toward teaching ... follow your heart!! (obviously, just my opinion )

good luck dgoboy

Old 02-19-2007, 04:35 PM

788 posts, read 4,069,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridanative2 View Post
Hello all,
I was just wondering if Co. is in short supply of teachers like we are in Florida? I am currently in school for education, not sure if I am making the right choice. (maybe an English degree would be better).
I am very interested in the multiple intelligence theory, and want to teach in that way. Does anyone know if the schools use this in the classrooms?
Thanks for the help.
You can teach with an English degree too, although you will only be teaching english courses such as writing and literature; however, if you get burned out on teaching or can't find a job, there are many other things you can do with an english degree. I have a BA in English and just finished all the course work for an MA in English (still have to write the thesis). I teach at the college level and love it (although the pay is terrible, as it is for all teachers in this country). However, before I went back to school for the MA I couldn't find a job in Sacramento, CA in my field. I ended up doing office management and administration for a real estate company. Every once in a while they sent some editing or press release writing my way, but I have to admit I felt very over qualified and over educated for the work. It is so hard to chose a major in school and know if it is the right choice or not, so my advice is to just go with the classes you most enjoy.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:12 PM

543 posts, read 1,228,536 times
Thanks to all of you for the advice and help!
Bashep: MI is a theory Howard Gardner came up with. He proposes 8 intelligences that are interrelated, we all learn in different ways, and if teachers can use all of the intelligences in the classrooms, I believe more children would excel at learning. They are: (1) Linguistic intelligence, (2) Logical-mathematical intelligence, (3) Musical intelligence, (4) Bodily-kinesthetic intelligence, (5) Spatial intelligence, (6) Interpersonal intelligence, (7) Intrapersonal intelligence, (8) Naturalist intelligence. This would be a fun way for children to learn math, ex: play a musical math game (incorporate, math, music, bodily, interpersonal intelligence).

Last edited by Mike from back east; 02-19-2007 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: Insert missing para number.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:40 PM

788 posts, read 1,743,098 times
I briefly learned about the different 'intelligences' in a college child development class about 6 years ago, and I find this concept to be very true. Just b/c a person isn't 'book smart' doesn't mean they aren't intelligent and cant be successful in other areas.

Please come teach in CO!

Old 02-20-2007, 10:47 AM

26,221 posts, read 49,072,443 times
Default A local teacher here tells me this....

...This [MI] is a major section of childhood development and every teaching textbook required for teachers. Schools do look at these very close.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,832 times
Default Teaching Jobs in CO and Howard Gardner and MI

Jobwise, it depends on the school district. In St Vrain (Longmont) last year they had 140 positions and 6000 applications. Boulder is just as tight. I hear Denver is better. You have to ask around. In many places, from what I am finding out - it is who you know....Good Luck

If "really" serious about MI, see http://www.pz.harvard.edu/ click on "products and services", then "symposia and workshops".

Project Zero in the classroom is incredible. I went a few years back and there were 1000's of people from all over the world learning and share about MI and teaching for understanding. It is run by Howard Gardner and others. Pricey but amazing.

Old 04-10-2007, 09:59 PM

1,938 posts, read 7,128,039 times
Hi Floridian! My husband is from Florida...
I am in special education myself and sped jobs are easy to get because of the high demand and short supply. As far as regular education, we seem to go through waves- more jobs than teachers and then vice versa. In my area, we have numerous school districts here in town. I will list them from high to low (in state ranking): Academy School District 20, Cheyenne Mountain School District 12, Lewis Palmer School District 38, Falcon School District 49, Colorado Springs School District 11, Fountain School District 8, Widefield School District 3, and Manitou Springs School District 14. The first two districts are the high socio-economic areas with homes averaging $350-500,000. I, personally have been in D20, D8, D11, D14 to volunteer, work, and to do educational research projects for my Masters degree. Honestly, what I have seen is better teaching in D8 and D11. In the wealthier districts, I see teachers catering to the parents (making sure they aren't sued..) and more politics. In the other two districts mentioned, teachers use differentiation which accompanies multiple intelligences. The local university- UCCS, does teach multiple intelligences to the regular education students going into education, but not too well. The program tells soon to be teachers what it is but fails to provide a lot of examples, along with differentiation. Your best bet with support on multiple intelligences, differentiation, teacher support with continuing education, and special education is going to depend on what specific school- but my vote goes towards D8 as a whole. Granted, the district is a lower income school- but these teachers are doing some amazing things with their students. You know you have GREAT teachers when you take a low socio-economic group and do great things. BUT, if you want the higher socio-economic neighborhood with white, conservative neighbors, and double the mortgage, I encourage you to go to school districts 20, 12, and 38.
If you need more info on the Colorado Springs area, feel free to contact me. PS. I am white, a little biased (who isnt?!), and love our area. I am also a graduate from UCCS with my BA, and 2 Masters, sped endorsed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado