Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:21 PM

122 posts, read 379,813 times

Advertisements

For all the great things that are bringing various transplants to Columbus, I know there are people who wish they were somewhere else. If this is the case, please explain why you want out and where you wish you were going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 12:27 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
It might simply be the fact that it is a huge university town. Perhaps people simply go to OSU, get a job in Colombus because they already live there, but weren't planning on it. And then have thoughts about trying out someplace else.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:31 PM

8 posts, read 20,642 times
I love Columbus! But if the chance came, I would want out to move somewhere with better weather. Or an even larger city with even more diversity and fun stuff to do, like Atlanta.

I'm new to Columbus though, so I haven't gotten tired of it yet. I've only been here a year and I came for my job.

Old 08-07-2011, 01:42 PM

22 posts, read 68,956 times
I've lived in Columbus for 23 years and for the most part like it. However when my husband retires in 2 years we'll be leaving. I can't stand the long gray winters. I don't mind the cold, it's just the endless gray. By March I feel like I'm really suffering from SAD and so is just about everyone else in the city. Heading South.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:25 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,063,833 times
Most of the complaints seem to be about the weather and not so much the city itself. I never minded the weather. I like winter and I can't stand the Southern summer heat and less of a distinct 4-season year. Honestly, if I was going to move, the weather would pretty much be the very last thing I would take into consideration.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:08 AM

133 posts, read 589,826 times
I moved to Columbus 14 years ago to go to college, and after I graduated I got a job, got married, and ended up buying a home here. I loved being here at first, but now I'm so ready for a change! There is nothing wrong with Columbus, but I am extremely bored with this city and crave different scenery and new things. I just feel like I have taken advantage of everything Columbus has to offer and that I have seen and done everything.

I have always dreamed of living in a coastal town and since we don't have children yet, we are thinking maybe this would be a good time to explore other options. Who knows!

Of course, if we do leave I will really miss being here in the fall and tailgating with friends for the football games. I love my Buckeyes!!

Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,184,600 times
Columbus is a great city but it is boring after a while.

It does not take long to get used to Columbus and than get ready for a change.

I'd rather be in NC and that's my plan for 2012.

I've been back here since Oct. 2010 and It's not even a year and I can't wait to leave not because I dislike the city but Columbus is not a exciting city at all.

After having lived in Chicago for years, I feel as if I have been cut off from what is really going on in the world.

That's not a slight against Cbus.........it's just not a place for me any more.

I will say, I am the opposite of many.........the weather does not bother me so much as the lack of ethnic diversity and activity. Not to mention Cbus is a city in which you need car. I don't like that at all.

I really do like ethnic diversity. I work for the OSU Med Center and the diversity is lovely.

I loved using pub transport in Chicago......

Downtown Cbus, man, what a ton of lost potential.

I understand it is hard to compete with Polaris and Easton but the Downtown was once nice, if DTWN was "active" I could stick around.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
^I'm curious about which city in NC is more lively, has more diversity and better transportation? I am by no means a Columbus lover, but i think you'll have more of the same in NC. I understand Charlotte has some light rail now, but from what i've heard it isn't even as good as Cleveland, which of course doesn't compare to Chicago.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:58 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,213,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
^I'm curious about which city in NC is more lively, has more diversity and better transportation? I am by no means a Columbus lover, but i think you'll have more of the same in NC. I understand Charlotte has some light rail now, but from what i've heard it isn't even as good as Cleveland, which of course doesn't compare to Chicago.
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Columbus does have a disappointing downtown and no rail transit, but it's still far more urban than anything in North Carolina. Try finding neighborhoods like German Village or Short North down there.....you won't.

Old 08-11-2011, 12:52 PM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandigrace View Post
I love Columbus! But if the chance came, I would want out to move somewhere with better weather. Or an even larger city with even more diversity and fun stuff to do, like Atlanta.
Funny you would say Atlanta, because Columbus is basically Atlanta on a smaller scale. They have almost exactly the same freeway layouts, with big loops around the city (470 Cbus, 285 Atl)......downtowns right in the middle, and most of their affluent neighborhoods on the north sides of the city. I lived in Atlanta for 20 years, and let me tell ya.....be careful what you wish for. The last thing I remember saying before I left was "Gee, I wish it were like it was 25 years ago", which is pretty much what you have in Cbus now. Think about it. Is warmer weather, a few people of different color, and a couple amusement parks worth the mind boggling increases in sprawl, crime, traffic, etc.......?

Last edited by Tyryztoll; 08-11-2011 at 01:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus