Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
Couldn't agree with you more. I'm from Texas, and we've had our fair share of looking ridiculous to the world. Welcome to the club, Ohio.

I have mostly thought of Ohio as a state with fine cities I would enjoy visiting and beautiful countryside. I know there are ignorant people everywhere--"backward, intolerant, untraveled rubes"--but for some reason, I didn't think of Ohio that way. Now I do!
I blame our idiot governor. I know that sounds bad, but this guy has taken a state that was mostly neutral on politics (aka the reason why we are a swing state), and turned everything backwards in thinking. This isn't about politics, it's about these animals, and just like most, I think it is pathetic how these animals are being treated. You have one of the world's best zoos right down I-70, and instead of putting them to sleep, they have shot and killed the majority of them. It is one thing if they are actually running around in downtown Zanesville, but when they are running around in the countryside and the hills, that is another. Even then, why can't they be put them to sleep and be taken to the Columbus zoo?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 02:29 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,793,722 times
Just wonderful, you reactionary a-holes...

Sheriff Lutz, your term ends on January 6th, 2013. Enjoy your remaining time served, because I doubt you will survive the next election cycle.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:31 PM

That's pathetic.... Honestly, there are no word for this.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:38 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
too bad someone didn't question why the owner was permitted to keep these in the first place.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:46 PM

I want to know how the owner died and the gates/cages/ etc were left open.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:54 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,055,917 times
Quote:
Couldn't agree with you more. I'm from Texas, and we've had our fair share of looking ridiculous to the world. Welcome to the club, Ohio.

I have mostly thought of Ohio as a state with fine cities I would enjoy visiting and beautiful countryside. I know there are ignorant people everywhere--"backward, intolerant, untraveled rubes"--but for some reason, I didn't think of Ohio that way. Now I do!
You keep saying this, but I'm not sure how one incident perpetrated by a few individuals equates to the necessity to condemn almost 12 million people, most of which seem to have a big problem with what happened.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:19 PM

275 posts, read 416,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler87 View Post
I blame our idiot governor. I know that sounds bad, but this guy has taken a state that was mostly neutral on politics (aka the reason why we are a swing state), and turned everything backwards in thinking. This isn't about politics, it's about these animals, and just like most, I think it is pathetic how these animals are being treated. You have one of the world's best zoos right down I-70, and instead of putting them to sleep, they have shot and killed the majority of them. It is one thing if they are actually running around in downtown Zanesville, but when they are running around in the countryside and the hills, that is another. Even then, why can't they be put them to sleep and be taken to the Columbus zoo?

I agree with all of this posting. Not too many people haven't heard of the Columbus Zoo, no matter where you live in the U.S. So, in my mind, I have an impression that Ohio is more advanced in its thinking toward animals than perhaps many other places are. Next, I find out that there were NO laws with any real teeth that could prevent the "owner" of these exotic animals from keeping them in the conditions that he did. Jack Hanna has already stated that the conditions these animals were kept in was filthy and deplorable. The county and state governments are responsible for lack of oversight and appropriate legislation. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the fact that Ohio has the fabulous and forward-thinking Columbus Zoo and fine universities, but then has this "exotic zoo" allowed under such deplorable conditions. And, finally, when things do fall apart (which should have been obvious that it would happen someday to anyone who knew about this "exotic zoo"), who pays? The animals pay by being shot to death. Let me say it again--quite a few of these animals are of endangered species. The yahoo sheriff who instigated this mass killing, acting what appeared to be on adrenaline overload, overreacted greatly. No one in the immediate area of Zanesville, Ohio, was ever shown to be in imminent danger. No one. The sheriff had at least a small of amount to time to think of another solution other than massacring these beautiful animals. What a waste of beauty and God's creation.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
I agree with all of this posting. Not too many people haven't heard of the Columbus Zoo, no matter where you live in the U.S. So, in my mind, I have an impression that Ohio is more advanced in its thinking toward animals than perhaps many other places are. Next, I find out that there were NO laws with any real teeth that could prevent the "owner" of these exotic animals from keeping them in the conditions that he did. Jack Hanna has already stated that the conditions these animals were kept in was filthy and deplorable. The county and state governments are responsible for lack of oversight and appropriate legislation. I'm trying to wrap my brain around the fact that Ohio has the fabulous and forward-thinking Columbus Zoo and fine universities, but then has this "exotic zoo" allowed under such deplorable conditions. And, finally, when things do fall apart (which should have been obvious to anyone who knew about this "exotic zoo"), who pays? The animals pay by being shot to death. Let me say it again--quite a few of these animals are of endangered species. The yahoo sheriff who instigated this mass killing, acting what appeared to be on adrenaline overload, overreacted greatly. No one in the immediate area of Zanesville, Ohio, was ever shown to be in imminent danger. No one. The sheriff had at least a small of amount to time to think of another solution other than massacring these beautiful animals. What a waste.
Well it's even worse because Ohio has some of, if not the best zoos in the country. Columbus is well known because of Jack Hanna and great exhibits, but Cleveland, Akron, Cincinnati, and Toledo all have world-class zoos too. This all honestly falls back on John Kasich and his administration. Just chalk this up as another failed reality check by Johnny boy. I wouldn't put a state of 11.5 million people, world renowed universities and medical facilities, as well as some very sustainable thinking fortune 500 companies make you somehow think Ohio is like (no offense) the South in its way of thinking. This sheriff is going to have a lot of paperwork after this.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:32 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,045,903 times
Texas as well as many other states permit the owning of exotic spieces.

Old 10-19-2011, 03:34 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,628,634 times
I'm a pretty big softy when it comes to animals but to blame the sheriff for this isn't entirely right. It's very difficult to tranquilize animals at night, even Hanna said as much. He agreed with the sheriffs decision because the safety of humans comes first.

The real issue here is the lax rules Ohio and other states have in place for private ownership of these animals. NO one should be allowed to own dangerous animals like this. NO one, and this guy had a history of animal abuse.

This happened only because local, state, and federal law allowed it to happen. And unless laws change its going to happen again and again and again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus