Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Columbus, OH surpass Indianapolis, IN in population in the next 20 years?
Yes 66 65.35%
No 20 19.80%
Maybe 15 14.85%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 08:57 AM

632 posts, read 831,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
Columbus needs a bigger high rise building.

And a more centrally located zoo.

And better architecture in residential housing (it's a lot of bland and cookie cutter stuff, tbh).

And a film school. I think OSU has some half-assed version of one, and that's kinda new. When I went there in the 90s they had nothing. Cbus is just super weak on arts, music, film, culture. Why didn't they turn comfest into a big regional festival? Look at what Austin did back in the 80s and 90s. They made it a cultural center and built on top of that. Now look at it; they've left Columbus in the dust. People want to move to where there is cultural stuff. Not blandness.

And Cbus needs another big pro sports team.

Columbus is going to be building 3 new high-rises shortly

The zoo isn't moving

And residential housing all depends on the neighborhood just like any other city

And we really don't need another pro sports team. 2 is fine with Ohio State as well. There isn't the market to cram in another baseball, football, or basketball team between Cleveland and Cincinnati so I don't know what pro sport that you want unless one of those teams leaves at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 01:54 AM

509 posts, read 780,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 304eer View Post
Columbus is going to be building 3 new high-rises shortly

The zoo isn't moving

And residential housing all depends on the neighborhood just like any other city

And we really don't need another pro sports team. 2 is fine with Ohio State as well. There isn't the market to cram in another baseball, football, or basketball team between Cleveland and Cincinnati so I don't know what pro sport that you want unless one of those teams leaves at some point.
Oh that's cool, I didn't know that. How do you know? is there an article?

Yes, we need at least pro baseball. Not minor leagues.

NBA too.

Everything except NFL due to OSU Buckeyes.

All of Ohio is in decline except Columbus. Which is ok. Those cities should decline gracefully, unlike Detroit which thinks it's gonna have some kind of renaissance. False.

As Cincy, Dayton, Youngstown, Akron, Cleveland, Toledo, Lima, Canton all decline, they should not let buildings go abandoned. It looks really bad. They should demolish them and give the land back to mother nature. Smart contraction. Face reality.

Columbus will continue growing though because it has a good vibe.

The pro sports of Cincy and Cleveland can move to Columbus - the best city in the midwest.

Old 06-13-2020, 01:53 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin183 View Post
Oh that's cool, I didn't know that. How do you know? is there an article?

Yes, we need at least pro baseball. Not minor leagues.

NBA too.

Everything except NFL due to OSU Buckeyes.

All of Ohio is in decline except Columbus. Which is ok. Those cities should decline gracefully, unlike Detroit which thinks it's gonna have some kind of renaissance. False.

As Cincy, Dayton, Youngstown, Akron, Cleveland, Toledo, Lima, Canton all decline, they should not let buildings go abandoned. It looks really bad. They should demolish them and give the land back to mother nature. Smart contraction. Face reality.

Columbus will continue growing though because it has a good vibe.

The pro sports of Cincy and Cleveland can move to Columbus - the best city in the midwest.
I ran the 2019 estimates versus the 2010 census on another thread and here's what I came up with in terms of percent change between 4/1/2010 and 7/1/2019. These are all communities had have over 50k populations or HAD 50K populations in 2010 but have now slipped beneath that mark. Dublin is the only one under 50k as of 7/1/19 BUT they are just over 49k as of 7/1/19 so my guess is when the 2020 numbers become official they should be over 50k.

According go the US census website, Cincinnati has jumped back over the 300k mark. Any guesses as to why??

Toledo - 5.1% decrease from 2010
Akron - 0.08% decrease
Dayton - 0.08% decrease
Youngstown - 2.3% decrease
Cleveland - 4.0% decrease
Columbus - 14.1% increase
Cincinnati - 2.3% increase

Springfield - 2.9% decrease
Parma - 4.3% decrease
Newark - 5.7% increase
Lorain - 0.04% decrease
Lakewood - 4.8% decrease
Kettering - 2.4% decrease
Hamilton - 0.07% decrease
Elyria - 1.05% decrease
Dublin - 17.4% increase
Canton - 3.6% decrease

Old 06-13-2020, 02:36 PM

509 posts, read 780,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post
I ran the 2019 estimates versus the 2010 census on another thread and here's what I came up with in terms of percent change between 4/1/2010 and 7/1/2019. These are all communities had have over 50k populations or HAD 50K populations in 2010 but have now slipped beneath that mark. Dublin is the only one under 50k as of 7/1/19 BUT they are just over 49k as of 7/1/19 so my guess is when the 2020 numbers become official they should be over 50k.

According go the US census website, Cincinnati has jumped back over the 300k mark. Any guesses as to why??

Akron - 0.08% decrease
Dayton - 0.08% decrease

Parma - 4.3% decrease
Newark - 5.7% increase
Lorain - 0.04% decrease
Lakewood - 4.8% decrease
Elyria - 1.05% decrease
Dublin - 17.4% increase
Canton - 3.6% decrease

Cincy is not as reliant on heavy industry as say Cleveland. Cincy has a better vibe. Cleveland is kinda ugly. A lot of steel and rust. Cincy is a bit prettier. Nice hills. Slightly better weather too.
Kinda depressing numbers that you looked up.

Old 06-13-2020, 04:19 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenvillebuckeye View Post

Akron - 0.08% decrease
Dayton - 0.08% decrease

Parma - 4.3% decrease
Newark - 5.7% increase
Lorain - 0.04% decrease
Lakewood - 4.8% decrease
Elyria - 1.05% decrease
Dublin - 17.4% increase
Canton - 3.6% decrease
Cincinnati is smaller land-wise with more density. Nearly all cities are experiencing downtown resident surges, including Cleveland and Dayton, but that's not reflected in some of their overall population numbers due to people leaving the run-down outskirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus