Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 02:54 PM

114 posts, read 125,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This all seems very out of date to me, like it was written about the city in 1990.
agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 06:33 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,911,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sruckus View Post
Curious what you think makes Pittsburgh or Minneapolis extra special?
Why don't you take a trip and find out for yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This all seems very out of date to me, like it was written about the city in 1990.
Out of date? Possibly a little. I haven't been there in 5 years, but I have a large number of friends still living there and get updates all the time. Some things have come and others have gone, but more or less it seems to be the way I remember it.

I grew up in the area so out of everywhere I've been in the US I'd say that's probably the city I'm most familiar with. Also lived a few places in the city.

On the food front there are plenty of options they just aren't great. I swear every city anyone talks about on CD gets called a "foodie" city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowTune View Post
But seriously, do you enjoy living in Columbus?
I don't know if you ever took your trip to Minneapolis or not, but to me that city felt as close to the Midwest perfected as any place in the Midwest not named Chicago.

Chicago's only good if you like the giant cities and can afford to live in an area that's not bad. Have a friend who moved to Chicago a few years ago and is now in the process of moving back to Columbus FWTW.

Minneapolis is even slightly better than Pittsburgh and you know how much love that city gets on here.

It was the first place I took a trip to when I was looking for a new place to move. But being in a modern style, like Columbus, it wasn't my style. I like more traditionally built cities (brick, stone, and what have you) like Pittsburgh.

In the end I passed because I didn't think I could handle the winters.

So why would you pick Columbus over Minneapolis?

1. COL
2. The people are a more normal for lack of a better term.
3. Milder weather (although only relative to the Twin Cities).

Also correct me if I'm wrong, but you were the same guy asking about cities that are good for black men, yeah?

If that's the case Columbus is an area that's good for professional black men and okay for blue collar workers, but if you don't have much in the way of funds or education the people will quickly cut you out of the dialog and you may find yourself in undesirable areas to live.

For the Midwest it also has a large gay community, not sure if that matters to you or not, but certainly not something you'd expect out of that area of the country.

In most respects the city is just a good place that's not overly religious or political. Although for as educated as the city is supposed to be as a whole there is an aggressive undercurrent that runs through the city (Many people can attest to the random frat type guy driving by and screaming out the window "Only f*gs read." Interestingly the only city where I know of this being a thing.). Some here have viewed it as rude, but it's more of a style of terse, get to the point and move on communication. Generally if you require assistance, directions, or whatever a person will help if asked, but not necessarily volunteer to help. It's not southern hospitality nor is it NE direct.

When you get a chance to visit the areas in the core to checkout are the German Village, Short North, Arena District, Campus area, and the Victorian Village. Those are the must see areas. Everything is pretty much off of High Street so that makes it easy.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmile29 View Post
The economic opportunity here is incredible.

And western pa is where I lived before moving here. Pittsburgh is a pretty city with a lot of good press. It doesn't have the jobs, money, good modern housing or economic drive that is here in columbus.

Ironically it is only a 3 hour drive down the road and living there we never heard about Columbus in the local news.
True. As far as Ohio cities Cleveland is more in line with Pittsburgh.

Realistically you'll probably either like (or at least prefer) Columbus or Pittsburgh, but not both.

Quote:
Crime is low as well.
Crime is a bit on the high side actually, just isolated to the bad areas for the most part. Unless you're talking about sex crimes... 71.7 per 100k according to CD (and that's an improvement over years past!)

Quote:
Columbus and its metro is literally keeping the entire state of ohio afloat economically.
Pretty much. People have always moved to Columbus regionally, but in the last few years it seems like people from all corners of Ohio were coming there.

Quote:
Somebody mentioned minneapolis and pittsburgh on here. I have not been to minneapolis, but I know somebody that moved back to the baltimore area because they did not like minneapolis.
Baltimore is a traditional style city like Pittsburgh or Cleveland. Minneapolis is a modern style like Columbus or say Seattle. Quickest tell is whether there's lots of steel and glass or whether you're talking stone and brick. Most probably prefer one over the other.

Old 09-08-2015, 10:52 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,728 times
Quote:
i will say that Columbus is a great city. The economic opportunity here is incredible. Crime is low as well. I moved here from out of state at the beginning of the year. Columbus and its metro is literally keeping the entire state of ohio afloat economically. I cannot think of one city within a reasonable day drive with a better economy or opportunity.

Somebody mentioned minneapolis and pittsburgh on here. I have not been to minneapolis, but I know somebody that moved back to the baltimore area because they did not like minneapolis. And western pa is where I lived before moving here. Pittsburgh is a pretty city with a lot of good press. It doesn't have the jobs, money, good modern housing or economic drive that is here in columbus. Ironically it is only a 3 hour drive down the road and living there we never heard about Columbus in the local news. Local news always compared Pitt to cleveland, detroit, toledo, cinncinati and buffalo. All places similar to pittsburgh.
Columbus is more often compared to Austin or Charlotte - fast growing/sprawly cities with dynamic economies, rather than its peers in the midwest. Columbus, of course, is not as sprawly or as fast growing as either of those cities, but compared to most of the midwest, it's doing great.

I'm a big supporter of Columbus on here, but after coming back from a vacation to Toronto (I've been there several times), I'm left slightly depressed. Columbus is obviously not Toronto and will never be, but even for its own level it does lack a certain energy. It's hard to describe. Life is really easy here, but not particularly exciting.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:36 AM

288 posts, read 344,808 times
One of the most important criteria I have is having at least decent public transit. Is it feasible or logical to live in Columbus without a car?

Old 09-09-2015, 05:42 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
One of the most important criteria I have is having at least decent public transit. Is it feasible or logical to live in Columbus without a car?
Nope. You can get from some spots to downtown relatively simply, but taking twice as long as it should. Any transfers- forget it.

But I did live in Columbus for four years without a car. Mostly biked around.

Old 09-09-2015, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Not really. I had a car the whole time I lived there. Even lived in one of the more connected and walker friendly areas at one point (German Village).

I got around a good bit by walking, but we're talking 6 miles one way (and most people think you're nuts if you walk much in Columbus anyway).

Might be able to make it so long as you post up around the Short North or Victorian Village. At least from a day to day standpoint. Most of the decent jobs aren't right there though.

It is an example of a city that's pretty good for drivers especially for its population.

Again if you're talking Midwest Chicago and Minneapolis are your go to cities. After that it's kind of a wash. St. Louis, Milwaukee, Cleveland maybe?

The south is lacking in public transit as well. Washington DC, Baltimore, and Atlanta are the ones that come to mind that have it though. Crime is high, but at least two of them are affordable.

Charlotte as a train, but it didn't cover enough when I was there. It has since been updated so maybe it might just work there, probably not though. Check with someone else on that one.

Outside of that affordable places with decent public transit would be Denver and Salt Lake City (on the higher end), Philly, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, and after that it's probably fairly even.

Or you could do like I'm doing by trying to find someplace that's highly walkable and just forgetting about transit all together. I will achieve my dream of going car free by choice one day!

Old 09-09-2015, 09:32 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Columbus is more often compared to Austin or Charlotte - fast growing/sprawly cities with dynamic economies, rather than its peers in the midwest. Columbus, of course, is not as sprawly or as fast growing as either of those cities, but compared to most of the midwest, it's doing great.

I'm a big supporter of Columbus on here, but after coming back from a vacation to Toronto (I've been there several times), I'm left slightly depressed. Columbus is obviously not Toronto and will never be, but even for its own level it does lack a certain energy. It's hard to describe. Life is really easy here, but not particularly exciting.
Columbus is on par with its peers in almost every metric, so it's hard to get the point here. If you're trying to compare it directly with much larger cities, you're going to be disappointed. I live in a city with 4x the population of Toronto and I'm still able to enjoy Columbus when I come back because I don't have expectations that it should be at that level. Interestingly enough, I think the city is changing pretty rapidly. Every time I come back to visit, the feel has changed. The last time I visited in May, I was in the Houston airport boarding the plane and I would say at least half the flight was Asian. There was a group of women in front of me who even commented on it and one mentioned how diverse Columbus was becoming. I'd never experienced that previously. There are still things Columbus could do better, not least of which is transit, but it's not the same city it was even 5 years ago.

And keep in mind that when people travel, everyone always thinks the places they visit are super exciting, if for no other reason than they experience them for very short periods of time and are basically tourists. Actually living somewhere is different.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:
It's possible in some neighborhoods, yes. If you're near Downtown or some of the inner-ring suburbs, you could because there is ample bus service, bike-share and car-share. The further out you get, the less feasible that's going to be. And unfortunately, the city has no rail service, but is planning BRT.

Old 09-09-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Nope. You can get from some spots to downtown relatively simply, but taking twice as long as it should. Any transfers- forget it.

But I did live in Columbus for four years without a car. Mostly biked around.
So you did it but he can't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus